Poll

In your opinion to qualify in any given era a motorcycle needs to

A) have been comercially available in that period. It shall have no more suspension travel than was stated by it's manufacturer in it's motocross model specifications.
28 (65.1%)
B) comply with existing rules only. No revision of existing rules is supportted.
15 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: August 25, 2009, 04:29:26 pm

Author Topic: REVISION OF AUSTRALIAN VMX MACHINE ELIGIBILITY RULE FOR SUSPENSION TRAVEL LIMITS  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
THIS IS AN OPINION POLL ONLY :)
This poll relates to Australian VMX only, and is an attemp to guage feelings in our country.

It would be appreciated if our international freinds refraimed from participating in the vote, therefore to hopefully gain a more truthfull opinion from the Australian VMX community.

The poll is set for a duration of 7 days.

Thankyou and kind regards, Mick.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:49:05 am by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Can't we have an option for retaining a suspension limit, but setting it at 10"?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Can't we have an option for retaining a suspension limit, but setting it at 10"?

Now your stressing me out Graeme??? OK, hold on, I will go around to the bottlo first and get some thinking ellixor.

I don't quite know how to do go about what you preposed ?

Were there any bikes comercially produced in 1977 that had more than 10"

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Maybe, maybe not. Italian bikes of the period?

But the problem with 9" seems to be it does affect some bikes, so we need a limit that doesn't exclude anyone. But if we use the limit of OEM, then we stop anyone with an older Pre 78 (eg a 75 TM250) from upgrading for more travel to try to reach parity. Setting 10" or 11" doesn't limit anyone.

I didn't think as many people would prefer to leave things as is. I would like someone to give the reason why they would like to keep it this way (just curious).
I thought that keeping it as it came from the manufacture was a natural choice. The same as the 77 Monty being excluded. I had a 77 Monty that i was riding in pre 78 250. Was i in the wrong class? Why is the Monty excluded again?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Maybe, maybe not. Italian bikes of the period?

But the problem with 9" seems to be it does affect some bikes, so we need a limit that doesn't exclude anyone. But if we use the limit of OEM, then we stop anyone with an older Pre 78 (eg a 75 TM250) from upgrading for more travel to try to reach parity. Setting 10" or 11" doesn't limit anyone.

OK Graeme, I see your piont, an 1977 rm from end on a 75tm 250 perhaps. I really don't want to change the wording of the poll now that people have allready cast their vote.

Your piont perhaps could be looked at in sumissions to MA, or refined in a future poll, if anything ever comes from any of this?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Graeme - the wording is OK because this poll also extends to pre 75 suspension limits as I have to put a limiter into my YZB - so forget just pre 78 or 9 inches - if that is what the machine came with in its era then that should be allowed.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
I didn't think as many people would prefer to leave things as is. I would like someone to give the reason why they would like to keep it this way (just curious).
I thought that keeping it as it came from the manufacture was a natural choice. The same as the 77 Monty being excluded. I had a 77 Monty that i was riding in pre 78 250. Was i in the wrong class? Why is the Monty excluded again?

Hi Brad, I have always wondered why the "powers to be" excluded the 1977 Monty from the Australian VMX pre 78 class?

Were they available in Australia prior to January 1st 1978?
If so? Why have they been excluded?
A little help please?
Firko perhaps? I beleive you were motocross active at the time?

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
the existing rules already allow period correct parts but with a limit of 9" .About half of the bikes of the period had more than 9" travel so that doesn't make sense.
I don't want a situation where we only see stock bikes turning up to the races - period correct works or aftermarket parts are what can make different bikes so interesting to see.Talking to Guys about how they have restored and personally modified their pride and joy is one of the best parts of our scene.
The period correctness is my only concern.  and yes I would raise the travel limit for pre78 .How much???? thats open for discussion.
Good idea, the poll - but the way its worded I didn't vote either way.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile

Hi Brad, I have always wondered why the "powers to be" excluded the 1977 Monty from the Australian VMX pre 78 class?

A little help please?

Its not excluded its just singled out along with some other euro models to have its travel restricted.Strange that the GCR's dont mention YZ's which are also over 9"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:27:34 pm by motomaniac »

firko

Not me...I retired from racing in 1975.
As far as your poll, I don't quite understand what you're asking. Are you referring purely to pre '78 or the sport in general?  ??? ???

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Not me...I retired from racing in 1975.
As far as your poll, I don't quite understand what you're asking. Are you referring purely to pre '78 or the sport in general?  ??? ???
Your opinion has never been retired from VMX Firko.

Where does it say anything about pre 78 in the wording of the poll?

Firko as usual, thank jeebus allah budha that theres only one of ya!

What are you talking about? the wording of the poll? or the wording of the post which exactly was;

A little help please?

So which bit are you having trouble with Firko? and where does it say anything about specific pre 78 in the poll? Mr OZ VMX?

Check in on when I get back home from  dinner.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:34:02 pm by MICK-DE »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
I think aftermarket travel extension kits  eg Simons are Terry fork kits should be allowed, therefore home made extended damper rods should be allowed as there wont be any stripping of forks at scruitineering. if you want to fit longer damper rods off a model newer than the period your entering in, then you are just straight out cheating, i hope you can live with yourself! There should be no travel limitations, there is common sense here as its pretty self regualting as you can only extend the damper rods so much before you end up with not enough overlap and end up with a flexy chopper front end.

The inner and outer fork legs them selves, must be OEM from the class they are entered in. EG if its a 77 model bike, you can use any forks up to 77 models and no forks from 78 models onwards unless it can be proven the parts are exacly the same, which means same OEM part number.

All period aftermarket forks are allowed in their specific eras

No modern aftermarket forks allowed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:52:37 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

Question: To qualify in any given era a motorcycle  (Voting closes: August 25, 2009, 04:29:26 PM)
 needs to have been comercially available in that period. It shall have no more suspension travel that was stated by it's factory manufacturer in it's motocross model specifications. Any works or after market equipment is to be limited to the same specific
 is to comply with existing rules only. No revision of existing rules is supportted
The above is what I was talking about.
Mr OZ VMX? Now I know you're taking the piss. Mark will do.
As a bloke who likes to modify my bikes and actually build bikes out of many different donor parts I can't really agree with the concept of the poll. Do you want bikes to all be factory stock?
As far as pre '78, keep the rules as is and increase the limit to 10". Any modification must be specific to the period using period major components. It already says that in the rulebook anyway. I think the Monty's disallowed simply because it has too much suspension but there may be another more complicated reason.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:05:14 pm by firko »

All Things 414

I had a 77 Monty that i was riding in pre 78 250. Was i in the wrong class? Why is the Monty excluded again?

You sold a good bike for the wrong reason. As far as I know it's only the length of the suspension that excludes it (as with a lot of Euro bikes of the same year I'm told). Modify the suspension to under the 9" rule and you're on your way.......

Get rid of all the external suspension adjustment froim bikes that would never have had it unless they're a period shock that did (none that I can think of.)