Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46128 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2009, 10:50:51 pm »
Whilst this thread has strayed from the original theme of discussing the virtues of Pre90, it has highlighted that Evolution & Pre85 are not defined enough to even consider how to structure a Pre90 class.

You don’t build a house with shoddy foundations, if you do it will all come falling down in the future. What I am trying to get across is that we need to have the foundations of the sport fixed first - The GCR's. After that the rest is relatively easy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:11:30 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »
Whilst this thread has strayed from the original thread of discussing the virtues of Pre90, it has highlighted that Evolution & Pre85 are not defined enough to even consider how to structure a Pre90 class.

You don’t build a house with shoddy foundations, if you do it wall all come falling down in the future. What I am trying to get across is that we need to have the foundations of the sport fixed first - The GCR's. After that the rest is relatively easy.

But its not rocket science. Its only people that want to push their own wheel barrow that have a problem with it all..
My point with regards to Leith is only that he wants to ride his evo in pre 85 , from what i can gather is because he wants to put era correct sort of shocks on his bike ( which i dont really understand at all). I would think if you want to be an era purist its all the way i would have thought? Is that what you are saying Leith?
Another thing is that when eligibility issues come up, common sence seems to go out the window .
I say again. VMX is about ERA racing/ riding. Otherwise lets just make it open slather and let people ride where ever they want. Just so someone doesn't get the shits and stay home.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:22 pm »
upgrade his Evo bike to pre-85 specs
thats just it, im not really upgrading my 82 model pre 85 specs anyway. It will be built with parts available in 82 and since theres no rules on what shocks you can have in EVO and flatslide carbs are allowed i could enter either class if i wanted, its just that i would prefer to be in pre 85 because the parts on my 82 fit that period better for me in a personal/historical view, but yes i could enter EVO and have an advantage against some of the older EVO bikes, but i dont want to do that. What would be good is a 80-84 model twinshock class but i guess there would never be enough bikes to run a class like that, so thats why i wouldnt mind having to compete against 80-84 single shockers.

VMX is about ERA racing/ riding
Yes thats exactly right so why should late model twinshock bikes be made to compete against the older last of the 1970's bikes? Its doesnt make sense to me having a 1984 twinshock against a 1978.
ok i will shut up now :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:21:04 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:03 pm »
Sorry mate but i just dont see your reasoning. :-\ Your pre 85 shocks can still be at a disadvantage if another evo had shiny new Ohlins. Surely rider ability is the biggest advantage that can be had. Clearly your bike is evo legal so the logical and common sense answer is to run it in evo. They are single shock bikes that are visually different bar a small few that almost never come to a race meeting.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2009, 11:34:10 pm »
Evo is an era, it doesn't matter what year the bike was built. It is the last of the aircooled, twin shocked or non linkage, drum brake model bikes. How could it be more fairer than that?? 
That's what makes the Evo class appealing and all the bikes are reasonably well matched once set up.
To my way of thinking a bike loses some of it's vintage identity once it has water cooling, single shock and disc brakes but i'm happy to support and ride the pre '85 and pre '90 classes.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:02:20 am by JohnnyO »

All Things 414

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2009, 06:47:24 am »
It is era racing.Each class should show case the era, not an all in .
But my bike is from that era! How the fug can I be changing the rules? ::) It's nit-picking to the nighth degree. Yeah. ok at a NATS level it's not cricket but for State events like Viper, Heaven and such you guys can't be serious about this? Sounds like the fun police are back in town.
Borrowing bikes!? as if that doesn't cause enough problems with lap scoring and the like? Ask any lap scorer.. .....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:57:46 am by All Things 414 »

All Things 414

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2009, 07:00:05 am »
Sorry. I read the bit that was here totally wrong..... :-X
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:04:12 am by All Things 414 »

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2009, 07:15:58 am »
If I have to run two bikes then that's a lot more washing, maintaining and general stuffing about as well as towing a trailer blah, blah ba blah.

This is what i am referring to. You say you want to only ride one bike in at least two classes. Does your bike fit into at least two different eras?
Not wanting to wash a second bike is not a reason. If the majority thought the same way., we would have all in capacity races all day.
That would be crap too.

Sounds like the fun police are back in town
Let go bud, thats so old.
Sorry. I read the bit that was here totally wrong..... Lips sealed
I take it you are referring to my post which i have tried to clarify again here.
Your going to have to get over what it is that shits you so much about me so you can look at my posts in an objective manner. I am not an angry person or a shit stirrer.

All Things 414

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2009, 07:20:04 am »
Exactly! Stop trying to adjust the rules to suit yourselves and buy another bike to ride another class like everybody else has.
Again. I don't see where I'm adjusting any rules! In 1985 I could have ridden a 1981 bike. In 1985 I could have ridden a 1984 bike.
In fact as the eras become more modern is anyone really going to notice a Pre-85 bike competing in Pre-90.
I doubt it.

Also what is so wrong with making racing accesible and enjoyable for people? I'm not highly modifying a bike or such to gain an advantage. I'm trying to have the most fun I can for the day for my money! Send me to Haig straight away!

All Things 414

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2009, 07:26:16 am »
Does your bike fit into at least two different eras?

I thought we said Evo isn't an era? My bike fits into Evo (twin-shock blah, blah) and it's a Pre-85 bike.

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:25 am »
Okay cool. I look at it this way. Its not modern mx where its just capacities that define classes. Its the vintage scene that is completely different.
It is era racing that preserves each era and makes those bikes special. When you watch an evo race, its great to see long travel twin shocks all running around together. Its own time capsule in itself. That is an example that is true with any race. For me THAT is what vmx is about. That preservation, the fact that you can watch a race and feel like you have gone back in time to that era. Can you visualize what i am trying to say?
And its when other bikes from other eras in the mix get in there, the whole era feeling gets lost in my eyes.

Does your bike fit into at least two different eras?

I thought we said Evo isn't an era? My bike fits into Evo (twin-shock blah, blah) and it's a Pre-85 bike.

Right so you have a minority bike, that is why i asked. I suppose you have a choice to ride either or both. Not many others would have that option and you should be the exception to the rule same as a Husky or CZ and others that fall in that category. But you wont see bugger all of those bikes in reality, including yours i would imagine.
Evo isn't an era? I missed that one. I take it because there is no cut off dates. Still looks like an era when they line up as there are no real odd balls in there ( not that i have seen anyway)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2009, 08:53:50 am »
A pre '85 bike is one that doesn't fit into Evo because of a single shock or watercooling or disc brakes. If your bike has aircooling, drum brakes and 2 shocks then it fits into the Evo category but if you want to ride it in pre '85 instead then go for it.
All Evo bikes were made pre '85 but that doesn't mean they are not Evo bikes.
Pick a class and ride one or the other.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:39 am »
If its so hard why have evo. Just have pre 80.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18:49 am »
Evo was introduced when the only other classes were pre 75 and earlier.
There was no pre 78 or pre 85 and the Evo class was introduced to cater for later model bikes that still looked like vintage bikes with 2 shocks, air cooling etc.
It has simple rules and has been very popular so it's been left as it is.

All Things 414

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2009, 09:19:28 am »
Pick a class and ride one or the other.
Not whilst the rules say I dont have to.......
It must really turn you guys inside-out when an Enduro bike enters your races. :D
I hope some old guy turns up to your next one on an old PE with blue guards, all the lights and indicators and no peak on his helmet...... ;)