Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46153 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
Motomaniac i agree that an evo twin shock bike is more than capable in pre 85. It doesn't bother me putting twin shock and single shock bikes together.
Ballard has done it the smart way for the nats and entered 2 different twin shock maico's, 1 for evo and 1 for pre 85. Can't see anything wrong with doing that going by the rule book.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
To add to my previous post , here in OZ the ledgend himself Steve Gall won two Mister Motocross titles on an Evolution class Yamaha beating the single shock Kawi's of Trevor Williams as well as full floater Suzukis and Prolinked Honda's in 80/81.
GEEZ I WOULDNT WANT TO SEE THAT AGAIN.IT WAS QUITE SHOCKING AS I REMEMBER. :P

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »
Motomaniac i agree that an evo twin shock bike is more than capable in pre 85. It doesn't bother me putting twin shock and single shock bikes together.
Ballard has done it the smart way for the nats and entered 2 different twin shock maico's, 1 for evo and 1 for pre 85. Can't see anything wrong with doing that going by the rule book.

Me neither but its seems to be a problem for some - I don't think that riding a 83 Husky or a 81 Maico in pre 85 is riding up a class or that riding up a class or two class's for that matter is an issue.
BTW down here pre 78 and pre 85 came before EVO

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
There is no confusion. Just people with their own agenda. The agenda we are discussing is riding one bike in two or more classes. It really is a given that an mc490 is an evo bike. Then because the rule book doesn't dot the I's and cross the T's, its also a pre 85 bike. Then some people want to take advantage of that.

What era are you trying to recreate?
For me and i think for the people that wrote the rules, having bikes that look the same and are as equal as possible in performance, both suspension and technology.

I personally have a small problem with that. But its just a niggle, not 'the sky is falling ' type of thing.
So do the people that want to ride one bike only have one RACE bike ( not a bike that sits in the shed collecting dust), as i am really wondering why this is. Are you guys too tight to buy a second bike?

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
Can a pre 75 or pre 78 bike ride in pre 85?

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »
Can a pre 75 or pre 78 bike ride in pre 85?

can a pre 78 bike ride EVO? It fits both class's same as a 81 maico or 83/84 Husky fits 2 class's.

Whats the advantage Brad ? If one of the Baker Boys on an EVO legal Maico boys beats me on my prolinked ,frDisc Honda then I know it was the rider - although having said  that I do remember that MXA voted the 490 Maico motor as the best ever in the 2 stroke era.
Until the gcr's go either year specific or techno specific there will always be the possibility that a good rider on an 80's somthing Evo bike will win the pre 85 class.
The Evo idea as far as I recall was poached from the US ( Rick Dougherty's series) .The US in some series's at least has techno specific class's only now , divided into around 4 catergories .I for Evo , 1 for no discs but linkages allowed , 1 with linkage and disc but no USD forks or something like that.Im not sure exactly.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2009, 11:46:04 pm »
Down here we also have 4 stroke Evo  with a few 77 model HL500's .So they can race 4 stroke evo ,pre 78 and evo over 300.
For the Nats I suppose these guys have had to chose 1 class but who's going to tell them tat they can only ride one class in VIPER.Not Me .

Gee I wonder why our VIPER series and VCM series are going so well lately???

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »
Quote from: motomaniac link=topic=8870.msg87715#msg87715 date=1249134364
Gee I wonder why our VIPER series and VCM series are going so well lately???
[/quote

and that is where the confusion with new riders to vmx may start- as when they get to the entry form for a Nationals it all goes haywire  :-\  just my opinion that's all. ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:57:28 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2009, 12:22:03 am »
Whats the advantage Brad ?
I keep harping on about eras Brent. Nothing to do with who beats who on what.Keeping a bike where it belongs in its era.As i have said, vmx show cases each era in each class.
I am sure that the rule makers never made the rules so people can ride anywhere they want. They wouldn't have bothered making classes then.
  The only reasons i have read as to why someone wants to ride up/ in a different era is because they dont want to wash/ maintain a second bike and because of the suspension that is preferred.Neither of those will sway me.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2009, 05:00:22 am »
The EVO idea goes back as far as 1984 acutally. We also discussed it in late 1992 in the Texas Vintage Racing Club. BTW-in the US you can always bump up an era-and that makes things more economical, though I agree about pre-78 bein ONLY 75-77 bikes-as IMO those bikes need to be protetced in classes in order to be preseved.

Some of the offshoot clubs here have an "EVO" for 75-81 or so model bikes-too many eras together-and I promise you I would be a second a lap quicker on a 78 400 Maico than 77.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline dt tas

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2009, 08:16:40 am »
hi here in tas we can ride up any class i often race pre 75 here and my rides it in pre80 we don't have evo class just pre 75 ,80, 85 plus some age groups to me it's all about numbers of bikes the more the better .If someone entered it in evo and another person enterd the same bike but different rider in pre 85 whats the difference  not every one can afford two or more bikes it's not a sport just for the elites or the rich  cheers

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2009, 09:34:42 am »
not every one can afford two or more bikes it's not a sport just for the elites or the rich
That is such a load of rubbish. Im not rich, just a dirty old pool tiler. This would have to be the cheapest form of motor sport . You can spend as little or as much( if you are rich and elite) as you want. I have a race ready cr125m1 thats a $700 special. Where else can you spend so little and go racing?
Here is a bike for evo 125 you can have for not much more than a grand.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1978-Yamaha-YZ125E_W0QQitemZ250467924984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item3a510d3bf8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Is there anyone that agrees with me that vmx has classes to preserve the eras? Having different bikes in different eras just seems like a big cock up to me.
to me it's all about numbers of bikes the more the better
So buy another budget bike and race a different era.

I seem to have taken this thread on as my own and am getting a bit to 'passionate'. Time to let go and go down the shed.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2009, 10:06:36 am »
Not only does vmx have classes to preserve certain eras but they are grouped that way so basically every bike in that group is competitive and not dominated by any particular model.
Bikes changed so much from year to year through the 70's and early 80's that models were quickly outdated and replaced by new bikes with big improvements so it's important they have their own era classes.
Most states are getting healthy numbers in most classes so there really is no need to ride up a class
especially in Evo and pre '85.

suzuki43

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2009, 10:58:14 am »
I prefer Piss and wind Ira
Piss and wind.......
Dont worry I will lend you a kettle to ride mate-the real dark side of the force

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2009, 11:53:54 am »
I will have a nice little yellow kettle for you to try on in QLD Bill.
 Wait a minute , didn,t Suzy 43 sell a kettle down Taupo way a while back?
I see Magoo is riding a red kettle in the 125's at the Nat's.....I feel sorry for that little bike!