Author Topic: PVL ignition problems  (Read 24090 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: PVL ignition problems
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »
Why is it that many/most auto elecs won't touch anything out of the ordinary like the Motoplats and  PVLs??
I have an old ARD and the best effort I could get was a check-up of all the wires and solders and a bit of a tart-up, other than that they won't/don't care.
Where are the adventurish guys that look at them a say "yeah I'll have a go". I need someone to take a look and then build one just like it but it seems they don't exist.
We have had a shocking run with Boyer Brandson this year with 4 complete failures so we are after something better to do the job. Any suggestions?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »
Call steve from better bikes, if he dos'nt know , he will know who can. 

As for the ARd he could also point you in the right direction, or peter Koehlers in town does all the magic boxes/mags on them old speedway things, he might be able to wave a solder at it.  :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:45:58 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:31 pm »
Thanks Freaky. I spoke to Steve at Betta yesterday but he is at the other end of the world from here.
He did suggest a quick fix would be a whole system from an XS250H, anybody got one of them??
We've spent that much on Boyers this year as everyone tells us they're great that we are running short on budget and don't want to spend unless it's right this time.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 05:57:26 pm »
EML, there is now a better brand than Boyer now called Pazon. Some guys from Boyer started up Pazon ignitions and they are ment to be better than boyer. I wouldnt say they Boyers are bad though, ive fitted heaps of them and i work on bikes with them all the time. I reckon ive only seen one black box failure and that was on a B50 BSA, but other guys fiddling around and not knowing what they are doing with right coils etc could have stuffed it so it may not have been a direct product failure.

http://www.pazon.com/
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffypazon.htm

Also if your looking for other brands there is these too which are quite good and ive used these before. They are really well built but not real cheap.

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/yamaha.php

Ive never used one of these http://www.ignitech.cz/ but i think thy are fairly good.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:02:59 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 08:52:24 pm »
this thread has diverged a bit , but with starting problems of my own on a HUSKY.. i noted that PVL/MZB recomend a non resistor PLUG CAP. I doubt this is your problem, but every bike i own  has a 5000 ohm resistor cap on it. I dicked around with a number of things on mine but by shorting the cap out with wire whilst awaiting  a non resistor spark plug cap I am getting starts within 3 kicks hot or cold.. I hope like #$@@ this is a trend not a one off !
Its one thing to eliminate anyhow.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 09:40:23 pm »
coming soon.......................
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 09:33:30 am »
I just experienced the very same thing with my 81 490 at the Boise Inter Am yesterday. Bike has a fresh top end, plug looks good, looked at the top end with a fiber optic scope and everything looks like it did a couple races ago, just fine. I started the bike up first thing in the am to warm it up and it ran just fine. Since I was in moto 7 the bike was shut off. Started up normally before my moto and as I was headed to the line it got very, very sick sounding, rev'd slow with no power and several friends commented that it smelled very hot, silencer core was very dry and ashen in color which is not how it normally looks. Compression is still good but there is no spark. Did you correct it by replacing the PVL?

Fritz