Author Topic: Getting front wheel bearings out!!!  (Read 1297 times)

runutz698

Getting front wheel bearings out!!!
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »
How do you get the front wheel bearings out of a GP250 rim??? I normally put the on the press and push then out, But on this rim I have nothing to get onto to push them out.

WHat is the trick???

Cheers
Nutz

mx250

Re: Getting front wheel bearings out!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
How do you get the front wheel bearings out of a GP250 rim??? I normally put the on the press and push then out, But on this rim I have nothing to get onto to push them out.

WHat is the trick???

Cheers
Nutz
Spot Weld scrap metal across the axle opening and bash out from the other side - with the appropriate cooling etc.

runutz698

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »
I think that would work but the heat may distort the Alloy??? Even with the cooling but I think that would work!!!

Any other ideas??

Cheers
TOm

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:43:40 pm »
Dyna bolt - chain 500 long welded to a piece of pipe ( poor mans slide hammer)
dyna bolt tightened up to the max slide chain over excess thread and another nut , and give it a yank

mx250

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »
I think that would work but the heat may distort the Alloy??? Even with the cooling but I think that would work!!!

Any other ideas??

Cheers
TOm
You won't put much heat in - it is just a rough spot weld. It shouldn't take much bashing, its mainly to get something to bash on. It should only be a light interference fit - it shouldn't be jammed in there. Do the normal things like penetrating oil etc if you think/know its rusted.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:09:49 pm »
I brought the bearing removing tool through ballards bloody great tool, it has diffrent size inserts for diffrent size bearings and comes with a sliding hammer weight  but it works 30secs and its out 8)

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:20:02 am »
Either buy a bearing puller tool or heat the hub and use a punch to go thru the other side
and tap the bearing out.