Author Topic: Sprite-UK/American Eagle-USA /Alron-AUST  (Read 324470 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite/Alron/American Eagle
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
I know its 41 pages and instead of wadding though it all,did the Starmaker come out in any other cc besides the 250 ??
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 17, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
If your talking about the motors then AJS ran 370 & 410's in the stormers.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 18, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »
Sprite at ths UK Stafford classic bike show 18/10/10

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
early closed fin Starmaker cylinders,

Does anyone have a photo anywhere of the above or is it already in this thread ??
thanks for your help
Best is in the West !!

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 03, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
looks like i might have bought a american eagle 405,then was talking to a mate of mine who races vmx and he said yeh,i have a alron400 in the shed -so there is another one

clutchslip

« Reply #620 on: December 05, 2010, 09:17:08 AM »
Lots of info here much of it specific trials, but have a dig around and follow the links, there are 30 posts or so in this series altogether, click the photos for larger views.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M0vlRAaZ2gU/Rv1dzawVRCI/AAAAAAAAAUA/Pa9vC2ZMg50/s1600-h/Sp1.jpg

http://www.classicrider444.com/category/bike-projects/sprite/

http://www.classicrider444.com/2010/01/15/before-and-after-no2-sprite/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:24:14 AM by clutchslip »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
looks like i might have bought a american eagle 405,then was talking to a mate of mine who races vmx and he said yeh,i have a alron400 in the shed -so there is another one

Robin, if that's Steve's its already accounted for it

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
yes it was

firko

« Reply #623 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »
I love this photo of Dave Smith aboard the works Sprite in 1967. Young Dave appears to have been a big lump of a boy, note how far forward his bars are set :o. The people in the background are an interesting cross section....the duffle coated old geeza with his thermos of hot tea, the local farmer in his bib and brace overalls, a smiling schoolboy fan and a couple of Carnaby street mods.
Current Brit classic racing legend Terry Challinor was Smiths team mate in the team on the square barrel Maico powered bikes. I've finally collected all of the parts needed to build a replica of this bike and will get into it once the current projects are out of the way. ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:17:29 AM by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 17, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
He's got my fuel tank. !!  ;D actually Ive got his- Steven has been fiberglassing the rear of the tank mount as it wasn't quiet long enough..So mine too is coming along.And a few bits lined up in the states also.
The pic above really shows how its all changed with the locals and passerbyers just dropping into see whats happening over yonder..The Maico really fills the frame  :)
Great shot-still love the boots. 8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #625 on: December 17, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
There's two 'glass tanks...which do you have Alison?
Here's my red 2 gallon and 1.5 gallon (orange)which is what is on the Sprite/Maico by the looks.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 18, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
Its the bottom one ,though white like Dave Smith's  ;D
The back tab mount was only 10 mills, so Steven fiberglassed it to 40-50 ml.

you can dig into my pics here
 http://ausvmx.ning.com/photo/sprite-villiers?context=user
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »
what is this and do we have a pic ??
Thanks A
closed fin Starmaker cylinders
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Ali...I presume he means the early engine shown in the top photo as opposed to the bottom AJS Stormer photo. What exactly are you looking for? I presumed your Sprite already had a Villiers engine ???. If you're intent on a Starmaker engine, you may be more successful directing your ads on the Swapmeet towards asking for an AJS Stormer engine as many folks might not understand that the engine is actually a Villiers Starmaker and think it's an AJS 2 stroke. Why the need for a Villiers anyway when so many different motors were originally used. You may have better luck chasing down a Maico square barrel 350/360/400 engine to build a 'works replica'. 8) You could try a Kawasaki 250 or even an OSSA Pioneer engine, the one that fits in crooked ;). Even more exciting, what about a ridgy didge Sprite 250? AJ might just be able to sell you one.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:01:00 PM by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 19, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Steven and I both want a Starmaker Engine in it and cause then we can stay happly married  ;)  ;D
Yes it has a Villiers 34A in it with a centre exhaust port --but like yourself we want something that tad original/normal,plus a wise older Queenslander suggest the Starmaker ! If we put a KX/Ossa or some common engine in there people wont really look twice,but by putting something different/unique in it,it makes people ask questions..preserving an era.  :P
Though if the 250 Sprite comes along or AJ gets a need to move a few bits along, then we might change our mine's.Ask him sometime please.  :)
I do have a fellow lined up in the USA that has a very large amount of Stramaker gear,,its just bugging him for it ,maybe after Christmas he may move them on to Oz.
Thanks for the AJS info,but I assumed everyone knew the history of Sprite/Villiers/Cotton/AJS & British MC etc.  :-\
cheers

quote:your ads on the Swapmeet towards asking for an AJS Stormer engine as many folks might not understand that the engine is actually a Villiers Starmaker and think it's an AJS 2 stroke.
Hope this doesnt confuse em  ;D
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi?Z=GbXtuM2FB6Pg1f7HuyMvAWDy7QrAe1A1wvhFbFNoVtJxMskbcCuUCuUe1AMsrv45&submit=Back+To+The+Swapmeet
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:00:36 PM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!