Author Topic: Yamaha RT2  (Read 17677 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha RT2
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:57:21 am »
HI Mark,
Great resto. Can't wait to hear it in the flesh.
Good luck with the ignition problem - must be a first for this forum though - a bike that won't switch off!!! Most of the time the problem is the exact opposite.
Good luck
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Mark Austin

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:39:49 pm »
Thanks for the compliments lads.

Nathan, the reason I went for the blinkers on the headlight is coz I found an old parts book that had them set up that way.
I also managed to find some reproduction blinkers of the correct type for USD 20.00 on ebay. Thats a much better price that the USD 200.00 I saw a set go for recently !!

The bike is in pieces again, trying to fix the slipping clutch. The correct sprockets arrived and I have ordered a NOS 360 exhaust badge and a proper RT2 ignition, so maybe that will fix the strange going's on with the switch...

I'm looking forward to running around on it - and VMX42, you may see (and hear) me around the streets of Sydney soon enough!

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Austin

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 12:33:18 pm »
Hi lads,

I've run into some small problems with the mighty RT2. The clutch is still not working properly and now I've found out that the clutch basket is cactus.

Does anyone have a RT1 to RT3 clutch basket lying around, or know where I can get one?

Cheers,
Mark.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:46 pm »
hey Mark, what exactly is it the clutch is doing?
i've just rebuilt my RT1 and gave it a run down the industrial estate last sunday only to find a slight slip in the clutch. i'm hoping mine will come good with another ride as my motor has been sitting for a while and the problem was only slight.
still interested to see what your problem is though as i'm still learning my way around this old beast.
sorry, no spare clutch basket either.
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 02:36:34 pm »
now I've found out that the clutch basket is cactus.
Does it look like this, note the square end fingers on the basket,

Does anyone have a RT1 to RT3 clutch basket lying around, or know where I can get one?
.....if so talk to me  ;D

Mark Austin

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 02:56:44 pm »
Hi Graham,
Yeah it looks like that basket. The springs in the back part of the basket are broken...
It has three problems.
It was very heavy, it's not disengaging properly and it was slipping when accelerating in a higher gear.
It has new correct clutch springs and a new set of Barnett plates.
Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Austin

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 02:58:10 pm »
Hi Vandy010,

The clutch slips under acceleration in the higher gears, and its also heavy...

Cheers,
Mark.

mx250

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 03:03:37 pm »
The springs in the back part of the basket are broken...
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

How in the hell did THAT happen. Must be putting out some serious horse power ;D

I'll have a look in the shed ;). I'll PM the findings  :)

Mark Austin

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 03:33:04 pm »
I dunno, maybe it had something to do with the gearing that was on it. It topped out at 75 kmh and had 12/49 gearing vs 15/39 as standard....

::)
Cheers,
Mark.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
G'day Mark,

many years back i ran a barnett clutch kit (springs and fibre/steel plates) in my CR250 and it gave a very heavy clutch, from memory it had a extra plate i think and the springs were much heavier. i didn't like it i also think the plate thickness of the barnett plates were thinner than standard (hence the extra plate) wonder if this is the case with your RT2? maybe the plates are not the correct thickness? just a thought.

maybe NOS RT2 plates may be the go.

Good luck.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Mark Austin

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »
Hi Hoony,

You could be right about that, I'm going to try the old plates, which seem serviceable, and see how it goes after that.
Hopefully with all this expertise from the forum, I can get it sorted and start terrorising the inner suburbs of Sydney - especially those environmentally friendly 4WD's. I especially hate the new Range Rovers - they are all black and all driven by gigantic wankers (male and female - is that possible)...

Cheers,
Mark.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 08:24:55 pm »
let us all know the outcome.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:11 pm »
Mark, It shouldn't be the thickness of the plates as I run an extra plate in the YZa basket on the DT1 from Hell. The YZ basket has the same dimensions as the stock DT1/RT2 clutch (except it's much lighter) so I don't think that's the problem. If the springs are broken in the basket and that's the only deviation from standard, I reckon that'll be the problem. I was going to Blayney for the Aussie Long Track Championships tomorrow but the rain has shot that little plan in the arse so I'll have another look for a spare clutch in another part of the shed for you tomorrow..........er..I drive a gas guzzling blackV8 4WD!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:38:06 pm by firko »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:11 pm »
I would shim the 6 springs or replace with EBC or Barnett springs, slipping usually indicates not enough preload(or too many neddies ;D). Even part No9 might need a little skim in the lathe.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:28 pm »
The clutch slip and the heavy action are secondary to the broken damper spings in the back of the basket. What did or could damage these is beyond my imagination.

Clutch slip on a standard RT is going to be worn parts or incorrectly assembled.