Author Topic: budget bikes?  (Read 62995 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: budget bikes?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2009, 08:02:07 pm »
Interestingly regarding issue #8 of VMX magazine which was mentioned earlier there is the B44 Rickman for sale in Queensland that is clearly mentioned as pre 65 legal. Have the current rules always been the case.

Anyway I decided that seeing I have original pre 65 chassis that we will use pre 65 legal motor....looks like the class is making a come back  ;D maybe a thunder bike formula limited to twins over 130kgs.

Sorry Firko still need my spare B44 (gives me a chance to update clutch and mainshaft) for the Cheney.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 01:26:02 am »
Is 'The Grand Poohbah of Firkoland " saying a Bantam and C10  would be a Woftam, he is just so negative
Yep those C10 Beezas sure are great race bikes. Please pass on your tips or photos of those race prepped C10s, I'd love to see 'em .Did you get run over by a Royal Enfield when you were a child Mikey, you seem to have a bizarre fear of someone actually racing one. Odd ???

I have to congratulate you on your amazing capacity to put a pin in yet another positive thread. You've contributed nothing but criticism and negativity....not a postive word at all, just cheap opportunities to take the piss. Not that it worries me that much. I'm all peace,love and harmony these days so keep 'em coming Mikey, your negativity has no bounds and it's keeping me and I'm sure others well entertained. Perhaps it might be a more positive thing to address the questions I'd asked you in previous posts. I'm so interested in your take on the G85CS and Metisse M3a and their place in pre 65. If youre too shy to answer online, what about a campfire debate on the subject at CD6. What a perfect opportunity to pass on your wisdom to a captive audience of pre 65 stalwarts. ;D

ps , a unit construcion 750 triumph engine (T140) is not a pre 65 motor ,
Ooops...I almost forgot. Nowhere have I mentioned Triumph T140s. I was sure a knowledgable Triumph chap like yourself would have figured that I was talking about a Chantland or JoMo or Norman Hyde 750 big bore kit for the 650 T120 which are quite legal for pre 65.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:28:34 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2009, 09:42:57 am »
If youre too shy to answer online, what about a campfire debate on the subject at CD6. What a perfect opportunity to pass on your wisdom to a captive audience of pre 65 stalwarts. ;D

Hey Firko, will that be bare knuckles, or a MX gloves.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:43 am »
B25/B40 just wont fit in Alron Frame 
[im

img]

Couple of CR`s

firko

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2009, 11:05:50 am »
Hey Firko, will that be bare knuckles, or a MX gloves.
Nah Marc, my fighting days ended in 1995 when I was sent off in my very last rugby match for a "scrum indescretion". Haven't thrown a punch since :D.
I'm serious about a campfire yarn. I obviously have some differences of opinion with Michael but hold no personal grudges and look forward to discussing our different perspectives on the sport over a cold Kozel. He's obviously got a bee in his bonnet about me or my opinions so Kamp Kevlars gas heater might be a good place for him to get it all off his chest. Pity you're in Japan Marc, your input would be welcome as well........

*.Congrats on your T100 engine. They're great little engines. I bought one in the USA a few years ago that had seen use in a hill climb bike. I had Frank Stanborough rebuild it in the same spec as I got it, with aftermarket MTC pistons (not sure of the comp)some slight porting, especially the inlet manifold and ports, 650 valves and 3140 Daytona cams. I fitted the engine at first to my M11 Bultaco Mettise and then my Cotton Cobra and finally my Mk4 Metisse (I kept finding better frames to fit it to!). I regretably sold the bike to a fellow who fitted the engine to a shiny new Wasp Metisse pre 65 solo and sold the Metisse to another friend. Unfortunately the downturn in the economy caused him to sell it to yet another forum member in WA. Even though I built the motor 10 years ago, it's still to fire a note in anger.

firko

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2009, 11:09:53 am »
Oh so close Mark! I've seen a T100R Triumph engine in an earlier version of your frame (see photo of Jonesys engineless American Eagle), perhaps the cradle on the early frame is a little bigger? It'd be interesting to compare measurements. I'll talk to you at CD6 about it mate.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:37 pm »
jikov..I really would love to comment, but I'm still on L plates for this bike bit's knowledge..  8)
Just trying to find a few older bikes and bits that someone might want to pick up and use.  ;D

Snowy 76-now that's a tight lookin squeeeze-happy fitting.  :o

cheers
Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »

That's a real bugger, so what are you getting rid of, the engine or the frame ;D

If you are pre60 or pre65 inclined, get hold of this book,"British Srambles Motorcycles", the men and their machines,

just ordered a copy of this, thanks for the heads-up, should help me along a bit, while at the same time annoying the crap out of my wife (she'll be trying to talk to me while I'm reading and getting zero response :))

Started looking at parts and asking for postage quotes ::) can't help myself. Will let you know what I find. Thanks to all for the info so far. I'm sure there's a shiteload more to come.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:53 pm »
i dont know snowy, that looks about the same tight fit as B44 is in GP frame ;). They are a pain in the arse to take in out the frame and virtually impossible to not scratch it even if you try and protect theframe tubes/paint.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:09 pm »
Just had a Idea, what about a BSA engine in a BSA frame :o There`s a few on US ebay, whats pre 65 legal b25, b44? are all the early frames {non oil tank in top frame tube.} OK?  So many questions.  Got a Round case 400 Husky engine for the Alron.
Couple of CR`s

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »
B44 - NO. B40 - YES

its only the B44GP and the B50,TR5T, TR5MX that are oil in frame and all of those are not legal for pre 65

The B44 victor special, victor enduro etc use a separate bolt on oil tank similar to the B40.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2009, 08:20:10 pm »
Pity you're in Japan Marc, your input would be welcome as well........

Yeah well are playing games with my contact at the moment so who knows....I keep promising myself to make it out for one.  ;D

I splashed out a bit for the TT100 engine, it is alloy barreled motor, that is supposed to be a little bit special. We will see.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:20 am »
....I keep promising myself to make it out for one. 
C'mon Marc, what's a tiny little Japan-Oz trip to a wealthy Kiwi expat looking for a bit of weekend VMX fun?

Here's a neat story from 1970 on building a Van Tech framed B44. I can remember going to a closing down sale of a big mootorcycle shop called the Service Centre in Paramount,California around 1976 and seeing the very B44 bike in this article and a Van Tech framed BSA Bantam sell for a couple of hundred bucks for the pair. Even though I was into the latest and fastest then, I remember thinking how cool the bike was. My missus at the time loved the metalflake paint jobs on both bikes (The Bantam had a Union Jack design in redsilver and blue coarse metalflake....cool :D. I've got a couple of American mates looking for a Van Tech frame for me to fit one of my TS90 Honcho engines for a bit of fun.
http://motorbikearchives.com/Features/Bike-Set-Up/BSA-441-Van-Tech-1970.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:37:51 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »
....I keep promising myself to make it out for one. 
C'mon Marc, what's a tiny little Japan-Oz trip to a wealthy Kiwi expat looking for a bit of weekend VMX fun?

If you want to get very wealthy my advice is stay on the farm, though they are going down the shit house too at the moment.

Anyway this was my inspiration for finally deciding to build a twin.

formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:21 pm »
beautiful