Author Topic: TS125T ignition swap  (Read 3316 times)

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
TS125T ignition swap
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:06:32 pm »
As I'm building my new beastie, I am considering the pros and cons of swapping out the existing points system for a CDI setup.....

Firstly, will this make any difference? I'm not sure if the points will keep up at 10,000rpm ;)

Secondly, What will fit? Do the TM125's, one of which has kindly donated its top end, have points or CDI ignition which will fit or is there something better like a TS185.... etc....

I need to keep my lighting ability as it is road legal so this is an important consideration also... ( the bike is a 1972 model  ;D )

Someone here must have some experience in this....

Thanks people.

Andy in NZ
WANTED : TM125 EXHAUST, ANY CONDITION!!!
WANTED : YAMAHA YZ250J ANY CONDITION!!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: TS125T ignition swap
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:46 pm »
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/suzuki.php listed for 73 onwards if you cases are the same i would say it would fit.

ok so its not real cheap but you get a good set up. i have fitted these systems before. Well made, good quality, work well, easy to fit etc etc. NO PROBLEMS  ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
Depends if you want a bodge or something special. You could run a late model RM/KX/YZ/CR rotor with an Electrex lighting coil stator, this will give you 'lights' and a decent ignition curve.If it was a race bike I would say just put a YZ80J ignition on.Then if you want to spend $600AUD or there abouts you go straight to the top with all the bells and whistles, enough power for 3 spot lights etc etc
Jesus only loves two strokes

DR

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
or you could simply run a total loss system for the lights and use the complete TM ignition that bolts straight on ;) I've had thoughts of reverting back to the points setup on the orange TMS to give it lighting and a little more flywheel effect. I think rather than swap the magneto just yet you'd be better served obtaining the TM gear clusters and swapping those. Can't see any reason why the points wouldn't handle in excess of 10000rpm ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:15:53 am by Doc »

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »
I dont want a total loss system thanks, I will forget to charge the battery and only remember when I finish work at 3am.... ;)

Had a look at that website..... looks like the business but not at $600 NZD or thereabouts...

Any more info on your proposal Lozza???? what are the parts from specifically etc......

Cheers

Andy

DR

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:47:54 pm »
Andy why not simply have your flywheel lightened. Probably the best cost effective fix all round as you keep everything intact ;)

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:07:50 pm »
What are the pros and cons from this Doc? Quicker revving at the expense of some inertia which helps on the hills...???

As the bike is predominately on the road, I'm not sure if this is the road I wanna go down....

Hmmmmmmmm............ ;)

DR

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:21:19 pm »
yep, no extra power obviously.. I can see no real problems as the bike will probably pull better up hills if the motor can rev more freely. It may vibrate or buzz a little more and maybe a little harder to get off the line but once underway the benifits will kick in. A little roll on power will be lost but at best you still don't have much to lose on a 125 as roll on power just isn't in the equation ;)

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:36:22 pm »
Ha Ha... you crack me up Doctor.... :D :D

Roll on power and TS125 should not be used in the same sentence..... ;)

I agree that as it would make it rev better, it would pull harder

Hills Im not too worried about as the bike currently pulls up them alright and with the expected power increase with the TM top end and other mods it will be even better.... ;)

Is it worth considering that with the heavier (standard, unlightened) flywheel, it may smooth out the power delivery?

These are obviously issues I can address once the engine is up and running.....

DR

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 04:38:06 pm »
when one only weighs 50kgs wringing wet then even a 50cc can have some roll on ;)

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:44 pm »
50kg?????? Bloody hell fulla!!! I'm 100kg of prime NZ beef..... ;) and thats bone dry!!! ;D

Roll on isnt even a factor..........

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 05:02:06 pm »
Some new ignitions just hot off the ........ whatever they make ignitions on. As designed by a resident of your town, nuff said ;) I can get the boss on the stator basicaly 'blank' so it can be machined for any taper. I'll send you a link for the box of tricks. A good bonus is it's not model specific, so your selling your bike, well keep the ignition and put the standard one on, put ignition on new bike.
Light cranks and flywheels have fallen out of favour as what ever gains are made on the way up, is a loss on the way down.I doubt you will have to smooth out much power, ha ha ha 

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »
Now now, no need to be cheeky, according to some fool I have been in contact with, this thing should fly...... ;) ;D

Now about that link....... you have my email.... ;D

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 04:58:29 pm »
Lozza, any update on this topic re the bloke in my town who is in the know..... ;)

Can you sus it out for me and let me know what the go is here?

Just getting all my things in order before I start the project...... I want to collect ALL the parts needed before I start....

Cheers dude

Andy

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 07:19:39 pm »
Andy, measure the OD of your rotor, dia on the biggest part of the crank taper and length of the taper.As the boss of the rotor is designed to go on a RZ/Banshee, but there are a few with smaller holes. These rotors are 100mm with about a 10mm pick up on the outside of the rotor.You can see a few pics HERE