Author Topic: Iridium Plugs - Ducks nuts or Utter rubbish  (Read 24105 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Iridium Plugs - Ducks nuts or Utter rubbish
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 03:20:59 pm »
No
Type C RS/TZ 125 & 250 plugs some KX 125's have them standard listed as R7282.I use DENSO because they last longer, NGK make more power but DENSO have no 'drop off' in performance

HERE
Jesus only loves two strokes

mainline

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »
Cheers Leith, I'll get that one out of the PE before I break something :)

DR

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:24 pm »
you won't break a thing Paul but make sure you keep the B8ES in the spares kit ;)

lms6201

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:35 am »
 i agree with rusty , i fitted a pair to a pair of 84  yz490,s ,(ngk) initially i  found  easier starting and a little crisper off the bottom when cold , but after 40 mins and a few restarts , things changed , i don,t think they like oil too much , possibly why they work well in 4st and high reving small bore ( keeps the plug cleaner mabey ? ) 

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:53 am »
Sorry to upset the theory but have run an iridium plug(the same plug) in a 400 for 2 years or so, with none of these type of issues,which are tuning issues not problems with the plug.The websiites explain what the plug does to the combustion event.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
ims how did it run with the standard plugs in
when you replaced them ???
follow me to first turn

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »
These are great plugs for a Toyota tarago 2005 model...
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

lms6201

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:10 am »
holeshot , the bike eventually wouldn,t start ending in some backfireing , i actually thought the thing had sheared the flywheel key , i just don,t think they like the oil , i,m using mineral oil at 35 to 1 , it,s not rich anywhere , i ,m not saying the i plugs are bad , moreover the std plug tolerates inperfect conditions , and who is to say the cylinder isn,t getting a sniff of gear oil from time to time . lozza i don,t dissagree with u about their performance , but again i think they have to be in a perfect setup , and i don,t think a big bore 2st is   

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 08:15:39 am »
Fortunately I've proved they work perfectly in big bores(work fine in jet ski's and snowmobiles). Your indeed correct that es plugs tolerate a wider range of conditions.You actualy have the answer but your looking at a 'half empty' glass.It's not that the plug requires the perfect set up it allows the perfect set up.The plug is telling you your carb/ignition/heat range settings aren't quite right,which as I said is a straight out tuning issue.

DR

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 09:59:35 am »
It's all really good if you're bike is 10/10th and you can ride all the time at 10/10th's but for the fart around play riding I do the ES series is the far more reliable critter. Bottom line for this black duck is I'd rather lose a HP and finish than gain a HP and maybe finish. If you want to run them go right ahead, with no 2 setups the same different things work for different people and they might be GOLD ;) My method is trial and error. This method is the only way I get the answers I want that suit my bikes. All the research, dyno's, stat sheets, word of mouth and tests are worth absolutely zac until it's put to the test and proven in my own bikes/engines ;)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
vmx247 with the crf250 the only plug avaliable is an inridium for 04-05 there $25 each but the 06-09 use a one off plug theres no alternative and there $49.95 a plug i hate replacing them
MUGEN power

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 05:18:36 pm »
Plugs await you and the bikes Doc......................

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 05:28:37 pm »
vmx247 with the crf250 the only plug avaliable is an inridium for 04-05 there $25 each but the 06-09 use a one off plug theres no alternative and there $49.95 a plug i hate replacing them

Thanks they haven't tried it yet..07 model-will pass on info...
Bit more info CRF250F 07 new workshop manual is $400  :o  $100 for second hand....as previous owner didn't have one  :(
modern bikes ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
cheers
Best is in the West !!

DR

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »
 :D Loz, when I say I'll have to take your word for that I really mean it cause there's no way I'd be shelling out that sort of money on a sparkplug again :D you must have fitted that iridium plug in the TS straight after the 2007 nats cause I distinctly remember you having a brand new plug shit itself. Guess what type of miracle plug I handed you to replace yours with! A dirty ol' low life B8ES it was for sure for sure ;) don't ya just hate a smart arse :D not saying they aren't better Loz cause obviously in the right circumstances they are superior and superb but for the average everyday guy who rides on the weekend now and then for pleasure. The only real difference they he, she or I notice is the much lighter wallet.

As for any exhaustive testing Leith , I don't believe for a second there has ever been exhaustive testing by Suzuki or Yamaha of an iridium plug specifically in PE175 and YZ125C engines both of which have not been produced in over 20 years. Manufacturers exhaustive testing concluded 'at the time' that an EGV was correct. An ES is simply a 'standard' poor mans plug that offers reasonably good reliable performance in 'varying' conditions ;) I love a good debate..win or lose it keeps the keboard rattling ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 07:43:38 pm »
Doc, you mis understood me. I said that the factories would have done testing back then to determine the best plug type/heat range for the particular engine. I wasnt meaning testing with/for iridium plugs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:47:21 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022