Author Topic: This stuff kinda grabs me by the short and curlies as well..  (Read 11709 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: This stuff kinda grabs me by the short and curlies as well..
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 01:23:53 pm »
Those TQ's are pretty small and really hard to get into the seat. I do regular work on a Matchless/AJS 500 powered car. There is a regular racing around SA for the TQ's and the Formula 500's
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:26:55 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

DR

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:37 pm »
there is a stack of this speedway stuff online though not all of it vintage but worth a look all the same.

follow your nose with this link ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz19xLw_r58

this video below is supposedly a flash media file (.flv) it should open in real player once you save it. Causes a few problems on occassions but I can't host it any other way. It's from the 2002 Ekka A main final. Typical of the racing I witnessed countless times. Sam Ermolenko had the neat drag your leg ice racing style that suited the loamy outside lines he prefered. These guys have the biggest gonads of all disciplines I'd reckon..not that I persoanlly want to know but one could assume pretty safely I guess :D

http://cid-86267c09a3452a71.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Misc%20Videos.%20Most%20will%20open%20with%20Real%20Player/Speedway%20Solo%20A%20final%20Ekka%20Speedway%20Brisbane%20Australia.flv

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:33:55 pm by Doc »

John Titman Racing

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:19 am »
Photos of John Titman from the 2008 Vintage Speedway Spectacular held by the VSAQ can be found here:
http://www.jtr.com.au/john_titman/john_titman_photos_2008.htm

General information on John and his career can be found here:
http://www.jtr.com.au/john_titman/index.htm

Career highlight photos can be found here:
http://www.jtr.com.au/john_titman/john_titman_photos.htm

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 05:02:20 pm »
And I bet they run a hose clamp on the holden 6 oil filter to stop it spinning off  ;D
 Yama,   Ah but theres no subtitute for horse power than cubs 
talk to my brother kerry about that!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:56 am »
luke,me and my parents went to liverpool every weekend for about 13 years.ive been for a lap around liverpool in it was barry graham or gorden smee #24 hq 2 door monaro,garry rush and son have bought a couple of trucks and cars from a dealer i worked for when in sydney.got carried out of parramatta speedway by sid hopping when he owned it.and you cant forget brian callahans supercharged 6 cylinder torana.the usa vs aus 100 laps,and my uncle used to race a red fj and later a blue xr ford at liverpool,he even used to test them on some back streets around mortdale and not get harrased by police.thanx gary

firko

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 11:00:10 am »
The Sydney Showground in the sixties was my stomping ground and the foundation for my appreciation of all motorsport.
Who could forget midget speedcar heroes like Johnny Stewart, 'Leadfoot' Lenny Brock, The Cuneen brothers, Barry Butterworth, Jeff Freeman, the great Bob Tattersall and many more and the two wheeled racers like Jim Airey, Bob Sharp, Cec Platt, John Langfield and a bunch more.

In my 59 years I've never experienced another atmosphere as electric that of the 'Showy'. When those lights went on and the first white overalled pit pusher would push his rider and bike out the big wooden gate of the pit area my skin would tingle and not stop until I got off the 394 La Perouse bus after the ride home.

My lady and I went to the Fox Studios craft markets a couple of Sundays ago and while devouring a tasty double shot skinny mocha latte and blueberry muffin on what used to be the infield of the old track I found my head being flooded by some great memories of a time in Speedways history that will never be repeated. Even Diane who has no interest whatsoever in motorsport fondly remembered the excitement of spending Saturday night at the 'Showy Speedway' with her brothers when she was a kid.
I'm so glad I lived during an era that hosted the worlds greatest speedway.

l-r Jim Airey,Brian Collins, Geoff Curtis                              l-r Airey,Collins, Bob Sharpe                              Cec Platt
 Today, Klub Kevlars Chris Ellis owns the Jawas ridden by Jim Airey and Geoff Curtis. The Airey bike is distinctive as it ran McGee fuel injection and the machining to accept the Hilborn fuel pump is still evident on the end of the camshaft housing. Curtis was killed on his bike (liverpool?) and still has the damage from it's final ride and Curtis's name plate on the rear guard. Both bikes will be ridden for the first time in 30 years at the Broadford Bonanza next year by both Chris and Jonesy. Cec is a good mate and is a regular at Nepean speedway and dirt track days. He was a stalwart of the 2 valve vintage long track in the 90's and his dices with John Langfield at the early Bathurst Long Track events showed that Cec was one of the best riders never to achieve his full potential. When most riders who showed a bit of potential went to England to further their trade, Cec took a different tack and went to America and was an early star at places like Costa Mesa and San Bernadino. His son Ty followed in his dads footsteps and also raced solos both here and in the USA where he actually held the lap record on the tight Costa Mesa track for a while.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:11:12 am by firko »

mx250

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 11:53:16 am »
Ah the memories 8). Remember the solo Test Match races between the Aussies and Poms - some of the best crowd atmosphere and crowd participation I have ever enjoyed. They gave it to us and we gave it straight back. Just great rivalry and no malice. Every race, every point was important and appreciated. The appreciation was shown with the roar of the crowd followed by the equally passionate hissing and booing from the rival camp. Ah, all good stuff :D.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »
I'm so glad I lived during an era that hosted the worlds greatest speedway.

Ah, yes, you are obviously referring to The Mile at Port Pirie.  I remember it well  :D :D :D A bit fast for the NSWelshmen tho  ;D

firko

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
Ah, yes, you are obviously referring to The Mile at Port Pirie.  I remember it well     A bit fast for the NSWelshmen tho 
Cheeky prick ;D
I attended the dear old Morgan Mile during its latter years and have to admit it was a pretty spectacular event in a laid back South Aussie way. I can't imagine the insurance company driven authorities approving a permit for such a race these days, more the pity. Come to think of it, I doubt the Sydney Showground would pass muster today, with it's wooden fences, railway line uprights solid lightpoles hanging over the track and drains on the inside edge of the track. Unless you ever attended a Sydney Showground meeting in the sixties (the pre roll cage midget era) it's hard to comprehend just how spectacular and dangerous it was. Just ask Curley, who became a bit of a legend when he shook hands with the pit wall in a most spectacular way.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
Rode the Morgan Mile one year.  It came into being after the Pirie Mile was reduced to the half mile track because of lack of riders.....too many expensive engine failures.  I remember Phil Franklin wrestling his Triumph around the chopped up track; but it didn't really take off and never reached the heights of the Easter Speedway at Pirie.

Curly3

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 04:37:10 pm »
A legend, I wish, probably for the wrong reasons, although I did manage to walk away some 3 months later.
Your 100% right Firko the Royal had an atmosphere all its own. The tall grandstands held the sounds ( & smells ) in the arena and spectators felt part of the action. I loved to stand on the infield and soak it all in, the sound came back at you. The methanol fumes in the pits used to get caught under the big concrete grandstand and brought tears to your eyes.
I had a long conversation with Les Burdiss and Jim Airey at Nepean on the weekend just gone as they both rode my fathers bikes at some stage as did G.C. I also found out that Jim actually swung for my uncle Harold at the old Moorebank scrambles track before his Legend begun on Speedway.
Sorry Firko I have to question your cred, G.C. was killed at the Showground.
Or were you testing me.
Those midgets are awesome.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
Hey there pirie593--bit more history of the Morgan Mile.Cowboy (nic name and life member) has been at the Morgan track since God made sand and still maintains the track . :)
Do you have any pics of the Morgan Track you could share ?  ;D   8)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=4828.0
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »
Sorry Firko I have to question your cred, G.C. was killed at the Showground.
I was fairly sure it was the showground but that Liverpool niggle threw me off. Of course it was the Showground, in fact I was there. The creds getting worse..... :-[

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:23 pm »
VMX247,

Sorry, haven't got any from that era.  But you might be able to help with this one (plus Firko and others).  Is that Gerry Hussey in the middle?

Curly3

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
I've just re-read this thread and you're right Firko, the old showground would be banned by today's standards. The fence was mostly concrete when I rode there except the pit gates and the famous Bullpens.
It would be a bit like the Isle of Man ( now they're brave ) for Speedway these days, with the HP from the current Laydowns I can't imagine it being deemed safe enough to ride.