Author Topic: Bantam racing  (Read 17965 times)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam racing
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 07:02:57 pm »
Ken Rumble Australia's Greatest allrounder and the Walsh Bantam.

A famous photo of Ken Rumble on the the Walsh Bantam, winning the Victorian all powers title at St Helena, in 1952. It was Rumbles first ride on the Bantam.

A very cool shot

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »
Quote:What a splendid idea.
The BSA Bantam was the mainstay in 125cc scramble (and road race) competition in the 1950's and early 1960's.
There would still be a fair number of machines available for rebuilding and competition.
Photos of my Bantam in the early 1960's, and of a current machine in my collection.
Lets have them out for Broadford.

Bring it on ALLBRIT and bring some mates with ya to Broadford.The more in the 65 and under class the better we are  8)  Trophy time  ;D
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 07:43:24 pm »
I'd build a trick Bantam at the drop of a hat if I thought there'd be a hope of this happening. I know where I can get a 175 Bushmaster that's got Honda SL175 forks and Greeves wheels. Someone had plans of making a racer out of it in the late 60's but abandoned it and sold it to a relative of a mate for a carton of piss about 15 years ago.
After the 100 dunger class fade away I won't get my hopes up.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:58 pm »
Not just the Bantam's,but all pre 65 and under class are welcome at Broadford 2010 Nats aren't they  ???
more the merrier  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »
Ken Rumble Australia's Greatest allrounder and the Walsh Bantam.

A very cool shot

at ravenswood to if i remember correctly (no I'm not that old , just remember the pic)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:20:09 am »
I have a vision of some 10 or 12 yr olds doing a demo on Batams/dungers at Broadford, can we make it happen.
The Flying Flea frame and tank etc... is currently at the painters, but the motor and forks will be cruncher as neither have moved a millimeter in 30 yrs!! and the wheel/rims/spokes are just about forked but- hey - who says it's a race.
Best we revist the 'terms and conditions' of Dungers. Are they 100 road bike based or semi trail bikes. ag bikes or bits of all of the above??

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 12:13:41 pm »
i have only seen 2 bantams race
first one was raced and built by charlie edwards it was fast those new bultarcos didnt see which way it went.
the second was when i was classic road racing in 80s.it was built in newcastle and sounded like a yz125.whent like one as well.back the (and still now if it looks period in the outside its ok)
cheers
jim

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
G'day viewers a few years ago I bought a DT1 that was owned by a bloke back in the 70s his name was Jimmy Smithurst he owned a enginering place in Taren point N.S.W The bloke selling the bike told me that Jimmy had built and raced a Bantam back in the 60s to 70s and it even had a recored on some race track ?  it would be nice to see what happened to the Bantam as the DT1 that Jimmy built is fast.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 02:07:20 pm »
This 10yr old would be rapt doing the demo laps at Broadford  :) Only problem is he's now 52  :-\

March 1968

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »
ok .so the 52 yr olds go first to warm up then their grand kids go out to race-sounds good to me

Allbrit

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 08:21:48 am »
I feel that there should be a class for the bantam, the class will be open, up to 175 cc l don`t think they made the bantam engines any larger, their are quite a few of them being built or have been built. Rob Watson, stewart Young they have nice ones in their flock, in this class  l would allow up to 198cc villiers engine only. They are true classic bikes as well as you can see in the photo`s, l personlly cut my teeth at the age of 6 on a 125 bantam, and a norman 145cc scrambler, and then my brother made me a honda/villa, Honda press steel frame with a 198cc engine a great bike at the time. And sure they need to be moderfied to make them run better or go in bit harder, nothing wrong with that they did that back in the 50`s and 60`s, For example the walsh bantam. And their should not be any cut off dates for these bikes.
We need to get back to our grass roots, l think the vintage movement has lost it way. The whole vintage / classic thing needs some changes.
An even better idea and I have the perfect bike for the class.
A Bantam frame fitted with C11 BSA forks and front wheel, and a Villiers 197cc motor. Just needs a tidy up.

mx250

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:54 am »
Albrit, class or no class that bike deserves a tart up and to have a run. You got 9 months for CD7 ;) :D.

In fact I would even 'tart' it up I would detail it and keep it's patina. It looks fairly complete. (Although I would be tempted to modify that gear lever (what were they thinking ::) :))

TM BILL

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 09:23:20 am »
My first bike was a Bantam  ;D i raced it in schoolboys in the UK in the early 70s will see if i can find some pics  :) My Dad and i were always modifying it looking for a bit more power  ;D they were great times . I now own a 1969 175 bushman model just for posterity  :)

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:19 am »
Number 22?? So this is Chad's new ride for 2010! ;D

firko

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
What a great little piece of history Dave. I agree with Graeme, tidy it up but don't even consider restoring it. There are too many stories in those scratches and dings. But, you'd have to be on some heavy duty narcotics to even think you'd want to actually race motocross that bike Dave. I reckon it's spiritual home is on the dirt track at the next Broadford Bonanza.