Author Topic: Ordering New Shocks  (Read 2617 times)

Ji Gantor

Ordering New Shocks
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:31:50 am »
When the shocks on your bike are leaking fluid and gas like a 50 year old and they bottom out over every twig, it is time to make a very hard decision.

Do I,
a)    Do nothing,
b)    Have the old pair rebuilt,
c)    Buy another 30 year old pair from the States that look just like the ones on your bike now or
d)    Order new ones.

When riding on a purpose built motocross track the whole bike is working pretty hard, but let me single out the rear shocks as not only working hard but working for you.
The shocks make the ride comfortable, give ground clearance, affect steering, affect braking and if presented well make the bike look sensational.

Lets take a), doing nothings is how we got to this position, so unfortunately some thing has to be done.

b) I have rebuilt a pair of Works Performance shocks last year and by the time you purchase the seal kit, have some one charge them with gas, replace the preload adjuster to a screw type and buy new springs it is cheaper to buy a new pair. The springs alone cost around $300.00.

c) Why bother you will still have to have them rebuilt anyway in a year or two.

Which brings us to d). Ordering new ones.
Brand is important Ohlins, Works, YSS.............
Some are expensive and some are affordable.
Some have a better name.
Most manufacturers will set up the shocks the way you want but only a few will do it for the cost of the shock.

I have just ordered a pair from YSS ( Walter or Wasp ).
I, like most riders, kinda know what I wanted, but have no idea what makes them tick.
I supplied all the pieces to the puzzle that I wanted and required and left it in the hands of a man that works on shocks every day of the week and I am sure glad I did.

Ji 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:47:17 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

Re: Ordering New Shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:43:00 am »
I have jumped a few steps so lets go back to my first contact with Walter at YSS.
I supplied him the following list of requirements.

Hi Walter,
I weigh 86kg and riding gear is 10 kg.
Eye to eye is standard 340mm
Travel of shock I would like it to be pre 75 legal the travel of a 74 shock I think is 91mm but I do not know whether pre 75 allows 100mm of shock travel or is it wheel travel.
Mount bolts top and bottom is 8mm dia.
Spring rate is to be 16N/mm or 91 pounds per inch straight spring.
I also need an assembly preload of 12.7mm or 1/2 inch.
Please allow extra so I can lathe down the spacers for an offset.
Please allow so I can run the small and the large diameter springs.

Thanks
Ji

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:48:20 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:54:23 am »
I then requested that the standard YSS bolt mount at the top of the shock ( normally 35mm ) be a maximum of 30mm in diameter so my CZ frame did not have to be modified.

Walter himself machined down the mount to 28mm to give tolerance. Which I will appreciate when I go to bolt the shocks in when the frame gets back from the powder coaters.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:02:16 am »
The black rubber thingy turns to set the rebound.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:38:42 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:44 am »
The shocks are the Z302 models.
All adjustments on these shocks are performed externally without the need to remove the shocks from the bike which makes them pretty easy to use.

Adjustments are,
Spring preload,
Rebound.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:39:57 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16:33 am »
I also got a box full of stickers and two preload adjuster tools.
I knew Walter was off to Bangkok in less than a week so I was not sure he would get them done before he left. People in this game are always saying "I will have that to you next week" but in reality it is next month.
Walter personally worked on my shocks over the weekend before his departure so I would have them in time. Now that is dedication to our sport.

YSS (Walter) did all this for his set price of $699.00 per pair.

Thanks Mate
Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:23:35 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:30:05 am »
The rest of the work is now up to me.
I want to paint the springs gold to match the hubs, handle bars and so on.
The springs are powder coated so I need to use paint stripper or just sand and paint.
I also want to fix some cool stickers to them.
I then have to lathe down the spacers to get the off set right.
Bolt them into the bike and set the ride height.

Job done.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:41:12 am »
When I take the bike out for a test ride I will be monitoring how the shocks perform.
If I find any problems that are outside the user adjustments I have been instructed to contact YSS and let them know. I have now become a factory works rider ( oh well only in my head ).
Testing the shocks is not easy for some one like me that has never been instructed in what to look for or how to explain what the shocks are doing or what they are making the bike do. But common sense and years of riding will give me some idea and if I get motivated enough lap times. Yeah, track testing is on my list this year just below losing 10 kilos.

My wife, after reading this walked off laughing, I wounder if Walter has a spare bunk in Bangkok ?

Ji

jim goose

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
Isn't that black rubber thingy more like a rebound adjuster not a shock length adjuster?

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »
In short you have a purpose built set of shocks ....

Hornet

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »

My wife, after reading this walked off laughing, I wounder if Walter has a spare bunk in Bangkok ?

Ji[/color]
[/quote]

What,  for you ,or your wife ?   LOL

Ji Gantor

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
Hi oldfart,
Yep they look great.
Can not wait to have the bike track ready, just to test out the shocks of course.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
Hi Hornet,
I was thinking of a bunk for myself, after all I think Bangkok was where pole dancing originated and I would like to do some fact finding. But now you have made me think about sending the wife over to BK I was wondering if Walter would give me another pair of those terrific shocks a set of PD valves and a pair of HD springs for the forks for her company.
Nah, my bikes are great time wasters but they don't start arguments with me like she does.

Ji

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:07:16 pm »
What do you do with leaking old shocks ? unless its a resto then you just Buy a set of 1-2 year old Works shocks or trick Euro ones of ebay, be half the price, rebuiltable and you can access more springs sets than you can play with in a life time.   :D

(i start the stop watch........now)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »
Ji,
How does the shock length adjuster work?
What is it's range?
Looks alot like compression adjustment fitting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:38:44 pm by evo550 »