Author Topic: Fixing A Wheel  (Read 14195 times)

Sun Prarie Jimmy

Re: Fixing A Wheel
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:58 am »
Welcome Back Ji Gantor. For a minute I thought you'd been shooed off by the forces of evil like many others.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2009, 10:22:11 am »
I resize the length of the spokes via a bench grinder. Place the spoke perpendicular to the grinding wheel so the end is flat. Push the spoke in and release, allow the spoke to cool, we don't want it turning blue from the heat. Constantly check length on our guide we don't want to make them to short.

Ji

Hornet

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:23 am »
Welcome back JI , there is so much we can learn from your posts 8)

Ji Gantor

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:32 am »
When we have the spoke at the right length push the threaded end into a wire brush wheel to clean up and straighten the end thread.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2009, 10:28:25 am »
If we have done this right a nipple should easily spin onto the threads with our fingers. If it does not try the wire wheel again or taper the end of the spoke.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2009, 10:34:31 am »
The paint on the hub has hardened and we have our new spokes and nipples ready to go. The last thing to do prior to lacing the wheel is grease the threads. I use an anti-seize grease that stops dirt infiltration and allows the nipples to be torqued up.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:59 am »
Thanks for your kind words and concern but I have been busy with work and bike riding now that the season has started. I have to make countershaft sprocket covers for my bikes and I want to manufacture them like a factory job so I have been improving my TIG welding skills for this project. When I told a few friends at the track what I was going to make I received orders for 5 Maico covers. I am starting to think I am not going to get enough time to finish my CZ before CD6.

Ji

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:15 am »
Schools back. Easter holidays are over.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »
Lace the wheel.
Place all the right size spokes into the hub holes.
Place the rim over the hub so the stamped side lines up with the drum or the off side exactly how it came off. Feed the spokes into the correct rim holes, I like starting with the longest spokes which is the off side outer spokes. fix each spoke with a nipple.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
Only rotate each nipple one turn so there is enough movement to allow all the spokes on both sides to be laced.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:46 pm »
The next step is to set the rim, hub offset.
To set the offset place the wheel on a flat surface and pack the rim as required.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:00 pm »
We need to centre the hub in the middle of the rim. Measure the rim to the side of the hub on both sides and adjust until the hub is central. The measurement in this case is 236mm.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
With the offset and runout jigged the nipples can now be tightened until they just touch the rim. Do opposite sides so the tightened spokes can keep the shape of the offset and runout.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2009, 06:31:52 pm »
It took about 30 minutes to tighten up all the nipples while maintaining the runout and offset. Remember to loosen the high side and tighten the low side. A good quality spoke spanner will ensure that the edges on the nipples don't get rounded.

Ji

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2009, 06:36:17 pm »
It took about 30 minutes to tighten up all the nipples while maintaining the runout and offset. Remember to loosen the high side and tighten the low side. A good quality spoke spanner will ensure that the edges on the nipples don't get rounded.
Ji

Ji,
Do you do this in the same manner,after it has been ridden as well.  ???
Cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!