Author Topic: Cheapo helmets on Epay  (Read 4794 times)

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo helmets on Epay
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:07:31 pm »
go to this website and have a read    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/    - they haven't tested off road helmets yet but this is still interesting

not all helmets are created equal

As for the debate over the plastic helmets - they have been given a bad rap over the years - it is possible to make a very safe polycarb helmet - shark and other european manufacturers can do it . unfortunately there are plenty of crap ones out there as well

also on the snell standard - the snell standard is designed for CAR racing helmets - motorcycle helmets have to cope with very diffrent forces and crash types to a car helmet, so building a motorcycle helmet to the snell standard doesnt make sense

dont buy a cheap helmet , do some research on it 1st ( look at above website for starters ) and make sure it fits well

mx250

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »
Did you  notice, not all AGV's, not all Aria's, not all Shoei etc etc, are the same performance. There are big variation within brands.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:36:19 am »
My helmet gripe is that I bought a new Fox Tracer Pro helmet five months ago, only to have our near and dear mate, Graeme M, run over it in the Fairbairn Park pits end of last year  :(   BUT he only managed to smash the visor (tough luck mate). 

So I called the seller to buy new one, only to be told the importer says they won't be bringing in any more replacement visors for this model as 'its too old'.  Like less than a year old.  Does that suck or what???? 

I've emailed them (Monza Imports) to tell them to lift their game with product support but who knows. 

Oh, and $45 for new visor.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:33:27 pm »
...Oh, and $45 for new visor.
I forget what they cost back in the day but old mate second from left wasn't prepared to cough up either. ;) :D ;D
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »
...Oh, and $45 for new visor.
I forget what they cost back in the day but old mate second from left wasn't prepared to cough up either. ;) :D ;D

unbreakable duck bill $4.90
Scott face guard complete with dusty filter $9.50
M/X Gloves Padded back special stitching for extra strenght only $10.95
and the ultimate chain lube $2.75
ADB Vol 1 No 4
alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
how can you tell if the Australian standards sticker is a fake? how far wiill the chinese go to con us?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 11:41:04 pm »
also on the snell standard - the snell standard is designed for CAR racing helmets - motorcycle helmets have to cope with very diffrent forces and crash types to a car helmet, so building a motorcycle helmet to the snell standard doesnt make sense

No. Snell has both bike and car standards. If my beer affected brain serves me, the car standard is Mxx, while the bike standard is Sxx.

Car helmets are designed to cope with multiple small~moderate impacts (in the one crash) generally against relatively smooth/flat surfaces, while bike helmets are designed for one larger impact against 'who knows what' surface.
Car helmets also worry about stuff like how flammable the liner is.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.