Author Topic: 89 KTM WP forks and master cylinder questions  (Read 1424 times)

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
89 KTM WP forks and master cylinder questions
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:52:04 AM »
I've got a set of 89 WP forks off a 125KTM
They are cracked at the spindles. Apparently this was common as they shouldn't be tightened much.
I have had a local KTM dealer tell me that if a certain ace welder says he can fix them then he can.
I took them round to him, he's an old mountainbiking mate from way back, says he can, no problem.
But how do the spindle castings come off the fork legs? Do they unscrew and which way? [the KTM dealer is a fair way away}.
Further to all this I have the wheel and single piston Brembo brake but no master cylinder. Will a master cylinder from a two piston caliper work or do I need a specific single piston matching one?
I've ordered a WP manual from the USA but don't know how good it will be, but haven't had much luck on the Brembo front.
The whole lot is going on a second twinshock DR400 that I'm gathering bits for.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 89 KTM WP forks and master cylinder questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
I am getting an 86 250 with the same fork/axle problem. I think on the non disc side. Are these the parts you have. If so how much.  John

Berg400

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »
I had an 88 KTM 250 and yes this is a common problem. They are loctited and screwed on, and are hard to get off. When I replaced mine the hardest part was holding the fork leg to stop it spinning, without damaging the tube or chrome and I think we made some clamps out of a nylon block and bored it to size. Not sure if that is easy to understand.

Hornet

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
My younger brother hade the same problem , he sent his fork to WP in SA (now YSS) . All was like new for under $250  8)( that was a couple of years ago )

killkenny

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »

There is a scanned copy of the original 4054 WP forks & shock service manual at the ktm495 site.

http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/

Might be helpful?

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
Thanks very much.