Author Topic: Open your cheque book and say AAAAARRRRGHHHH  (Read 21304 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Open your cheque book and say AAAAARRRRGHHHH
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
REPRODUCED

Here is a question for you...... :o   ???
Would you buy one  ???
 or stay faithful to the cause  ???
Now you wouldn't (hopefully buy a cheap helmet  ::) ) so would you buy a cheap reproduction bike  ???
Alison
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:30 pm »
????????????????????? STAY TRUE, OR STRAY, WELL MY FEELINGS ABOUT VINTAGE RACING IS THAT A RIDER SHOULD DRESS TO SUIT THE ERA .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:26:18 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »
REPRODUCED

Now you wouldn't (hopefully buy a cheap helmet  ::) ) so would you buy a cheap reproduction bike  ???
Alison

I wish, like anyone with an HL project you find it is easy to build an expensive reproduction bike  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:13 am »
At 16,988 hope someone pushes it out to 17,000 or 18,000 for him .
REPRODUCED
Alison
I wish, like anyone with an HL project you find it is easy to build an expensive reproduction bike  ;D
I maybe messed up the question of reproduction bikes here-On another topic it was said the Manx Nortons are now getting made again-I'd be staying with a real 70's era job myself  8) if I was in for a buying spree  :P
 cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:37 am »
Manx's, AJS, Gilera and a few others have been replicated, there are all sorts of arguments for and against replicas, in the case of Manx Nortons  the replicas do all the winning because they are pretty well re engineered in the process of being replicated, however, the number of original bikes that people are 'prepared' to race is shrinking as they gain in value, the replicas bought a lot more competitors.

Not everyone is like Dave and prepared to race the hell out of their RN400, most likely it will end up in a 'collection' some place given its value.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 02:53:00 pm »
I missed the end - what was the result - did it make reserve?  If so who got it?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 03:07:46 pm »
Reserve not met at just under $17000.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 03:45:14 pm »
funny market right now, but bet it easier to get your money out of an RN400 than it is out of a power boat, custom Harley or a number of other toys ;D

the RN400 is a true once in a life time chance
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:00 pm »
Manx's, AJS, Gilera and a few others have been replicated, there are all sorts of arguments for and against replicas, in the case of Manx Nortons  the replicas do all the winning because they are pretty well re engineered in the process of being replicated, however, the number of original bikes that people are 'prepared' to race is shrinking as they gain in value, the replicas bought a lot more competitors.

Not everyone is like Dave and prepared to race the hell out of their RN400, most likely it will end up in a 'collection' some place given its value.

Where/What & country/town.  ;D   ???
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »
not sure about VMX Alison but certainly classic bike road racing got a boost when the replica bikes particulalrly Manx's hit the scene, in the UK even big name racers, Gardener, Sheene were attracted to race bikes by the big classic teams, not sure this would have happened with only original bikes were available, as I think you would struglge to find owners  prepared to beat the shit out of their classic Manx or MV for that matter. New Zealand and OZ also benefitted from having McKintosh Nortons available.

replicas can make a lot of sense in some cases, like HLs where there are limitless spare engine parts and you can afford to give it  hard time, as opposed to other older VMXers that have become a drama to find for example gear boxes for (73 CR250s, early YZs).
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »
not sure about VMX Alison but certainly classic bike road racing got a boost when the replica bikes particulalrly Manx's hit the scene, in the UK even big name racers, Gardener, Sheene were attracted to race bikes by the big classic teams, not sure this would have happened with only original bikes were available, as I think you would struglge to find owners  prepared to beat the shit out of their classic Manx or MV for that matter. New Zealand and OZ also benefitted from having McKintosh Nortons available.

replicas can make a lot of sense in some cases, like HLs where there are limitless spare engine parts and you can afford to give it  hard time, as opposed to other older VMXers that have become a drama to find for example gear boxes for (73 CR250s, early YZs).
thats good-  ::)  had me worried there for a while, :o  thought I hadn't seen any new reproduction VMX bikes around in the pits.
When do you think they will be on the market  ??? ,if people are going to start collecting and not using what they have already got.  :-\
alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:50 pm »
Some replicas are available now. I guess the nearest thing to a true complete replica are the 74 CCMs that are being offered in the UK, which run to about 25000 AUD for 2 valve. Or the Maico 490s in the UK.

The 4 stroke specials are well represented in the replica stakes, Geoff can sell as many GMC kits as he can weld, you can still buy a new C&J XR frame, the Brits still produce Curtis and various BSA frames. Have yet to see an RH250 replica but I know some parties building one.
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »
Some replicas are available now. I guess the nearest thing to a true complete replica are the 74 CCMs that are being offered in the UK, which run to about 25000 AUD for 2 valve. Or the Maico 490s in the UK.
I presume they have the same performance as a real one.  ;D  ::) ..any pictures ? Any riders out there in the big world of VMX that can confirm. ?
thanks Alison
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »
I THINK ABOUT REPLICA BIKES FOR SOME YEARS NOW, HAVE EVEN ASK GEOFF MORRIS, TO BUILD BULTACO MK 7 FRAMES AND MAICO FRAMES SOME TIME AGO, THE JAP`S WILL BUILD AS LONG THEIR IS A DOLLARS IN IT OR MARKET FOR IT. THE CHINESE WILL BE THE ONES TO COPY, AS LONG AS THEY REPLICATE THE ORIGINAL. BOLT FOR BOLT.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 12:37:27 am »

I presume they have the same performance as a real one.  ;D  ::) ..any pictures ? Any riders out there in the big world of VMX that can confirm. ?
thanks Alison
[/quote]

as I mentioned generally the performance is better than the original as there is a chance to re engineer both with modern materials and that racing over years gives a chance to identify known weakness.

http://www.joemaxwell-engineering.com/shop.html
http://www.performance-engineering-services.co.uk/CCM%20Parts%201972%20-%2081.htm
http://www.maico.wulfsportinternational.com/index.php
http://www.framecrafters.net/projects/index.php
http://candjmotorcycles.com/Site/Welcome.html
formerly Marc.com