Author Topic: Utes or Vans  (Read 17421 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Utes or Vans
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:11 pm »
hi all my trusty tow car is a mazda b2600 dual cab large alloy tray.holds 3 bikes all the gear goes in the back seat,was a bit high at the back but 2"lowering blocks fixed that,just did 700k round trip towed a trailer 5 bikes all up most of the camping gear for my family of 6 not a drama.good luck finding a windowless van in any early holden,my brothers ek mad and knows a lot of people that own early holdens he goes to summernats every year mostly in ek holdens ill ask him to keep an eye out for you maico good luck.cheers gary

mainline

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »
this'll be my bike transporter one day. Apologies for the photo quality (mobile phone), and the number of weeds on the driveway at the time ::)

A customised '56 Ford Mainline. Dodge phoenix rear lights, jag headlights (in the guards which were in the shed at the time of the photo, 3 inch chop, 59 Chev front bumper as a grill bar, etc... All to be finished off as a 50's style custom.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:00:07 pm by mainline »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
I'm silll trying to workout how i can put a towbar on the R35 GTR so i can tow the Hot dog Trailer. I can then retire the Navara 2.5 Dual cab. :D
(Hot Dog Trailer is a 2x2x5.5 Mt enclosed trailer)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

subanator

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 01:38:19 am »
I have gone the VAN just recently, Hiace LWB '02, on LPG. Costs f'all to fill and run.
Its plain, no bling, gets no attention - for very good reason. Vans with SHIFT or BIG MX logos attract attention, get followed home, bit like utes and trailers with bikes on the back. May as well wave a white flag and say "come n get em", cos when you are not home one day/night, the bikes may just disappear - not good. (this all depends on where you live and ride, and security arrangements at your place)

The best part is apart from security on the road, is no more tenting at away rides, somewhere to dry to get changed, nothing to tow.

Apart from awnings that every man and his dog seems to have, I went with a Fly awning that attaches to any vehicle from BCF:
http://www.bcf.com.au/Products/TentGuide/GazebosScreenhousesBeachDomes/BCF_RV_Shade.aspx

Or you can now get the bigger one:
http://www.bcf.com.au/Products/TentGuide/GazebosScreenhousesBeachDomes/BCF_RV_Shade_Deluxe.aspx

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:15 am »
hey mainline kool ute love to see it when finished.security good at my place 4x night vision cameras 5x birds heavy duty lifting chain and very good lock.dont laugh about the birds already got broken into if it werent for the birds we wouldve been cleaned out while we were in bed asleep

firko

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:11 am »
Hey Mainline, your ute is too cool. The perfect pre 65 transporter.

gilletty

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »
I have had vans for a long time now, Mainly for work, but great with the bikes too. Good for getting out of the weather, sun or rain. Also sleeping in, but they do get bloody cold. Need to fully line inside.
I have a vito. Just don't touch auto's and petrol versions. Cost me 5500 for a new transmission a few years ago and is stuffed again. For 10-15 you will be looking at older models in the vito.
I have been looking at updating myself and been checking out the Hyundi 2.5 TD. 5 year 160k warranty. Heard good reports about them. Spoke to a courier who has already done 160 000k and besides service never touched a thing.  They are in the high twenties second hand . Every bit as good as the vito though in my opinion and a shit load  cheaper.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »
It all depends on what ya ride :D

fully loaded and ready to roll..thanks for the pic "oldmate"  8)

Best is in the West !!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »
Or if your into German cars and Japenese bikes then what about this VW Transporter ;D

Stan.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
Japanese call these custom Hiaces 'Prawntails" .... while bit low on ground clearance they come with handy bike rack and you can hang your wet riding gear off the tail for the trip home ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 06:37:06 pm »
Japanese call these custom Hiaces 'Prawntails" .... while bit low on ground clearance they come with handy bike rack and you can hang your wet riding gear off the tail for the trip home ;D

Neat. :o
Imagine trying to get that registered in Aus.
Yer rite  ::)
How about reverse parking. How about any sort of parking.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

mx250

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »

Calling it anything other than 'stupid' or 'ugly' would be generous :-[.

Offline ian

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:01 pm »
I have had vans for a long time now, Mainly for work, but great with the bikes too. Good for getting out of the weather, sun or rain. Also sleeping in, but they do get bloody cold. Need to fully line inside.
I have a vito. Just don't touch auto's and petrol versions. Cost me 5500 for a new transmission a few years ago and is stuffed again. For 10-15 you will be looking at older models in the vito.
I have been looking at updating myself and been checking out the Hyundi 2.5 TD. 5 year 160k warranty. Heard good reports about them. Spoke to a courier who has already done 160 000k and besides service never touched a thing.  They are in the high twenties second hand . Every bit as good as the vito though in my opinion and a shit load  cheaper.

we have a hyundi iload your rite good van but ours was off the road four 8 weeks four timing chains they have  three off them just out off warranty. blow one injector out off the block one week four parts. $900 four brake shoes had to wait a week four brake shoes. 8 weeks four timing chains  .now im in gladstone and the dealer sent one off his boys out to tell me they didnt no how to do the timing chains so that took a week. rang rockhampton dealer told me  two weeks .sat out the back four the next 6 weeks until they got the parts then told me on the thursday  week 7 the altrernater belt was stuffed but they got it over nite .now the good news is that our van is the only van in austraila that has done this .not true .so after hiring a van four 8 weeks and paying four the timing chains to be fitted about $9000 .now the clutch is worn and and the struts and rubbers are worn so im hoping i can find the parts on ebay i wish .buy the way the newer vans you have to remove the motor to do the timing chains .buy the way my 82cr250 wont fit unles you pull the front end down .buy a toyota .

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:23 pm »

Ahhh the modern day Blue Sandman  ;D... Cool !! take the bits off the back end and its a cool rig.
I've seen one a bit the same,with tinted windows @ CD8 heading south to do a road run back to Vic with a load of vmx bikes and bits  ;)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline 4V5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »
There's always a way to get to a ride  ;) :D

and proof it's all in there* ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjE7mDrWVM

*front forks and wheel were on the back floor

Cheers!