Author Topic: Utes or Vans  (Read 17426 times)

albrid-3

Utes or Vans
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:19:05 pm »
What is the ideal vehicle, l have a one ton AU falcon ute with a alloy tray, this ute of mine is in excellent condition, but l have trouble loading and unloading the bikes, l am thinking about selling it to buy a normal ute or a van, now the vans that like are the vito, vw, traffic, l cannot afford new, price range around 10 k to 15k, so the traffic is out great looking van. l like the transit van, but have heard to many bad things about them but l am still drawed to them. what do you think. Or should l just buy a bike trailer. When l go to race meetings l like to camp in the back of the vehicle.
Thank you
david

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Utes or Vans
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:42:33 pm »
buy a van, hard work sleeping on a trailer. Plus of course you have security, easy loading. I would buy Hiace, I never trust non Japanese vehicles. If Hiacki is a bit pricey, buy Tarago or something and rip the seats out.
formerly Marc.com

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:35 pm »
I have had a Nissan Navara 4WD for a few years now and agree with the height loading issues if you are doing it on your own and yeah, security is definitely less but it gets me the last spot in the pits every time and doesn't get bogged like the BF ute I use sometimes. Utes as everyone knows can mean all your gear getting a drenching on a rainy day and when you stop at a pub anything that can't be jambed inside is fair game - bike included. Vans on a wet day are a godsend except when they drop all the mud and filthy water inside and you travel back in a bike induced humidicrib, then have to be cleaned out  :o

Before the ute it was a VW Transporter that NEVER let me down and parts pricing is no different to the Japs, however the big draw card for me back in early 2002 when I bought her was the survivability aspect in the event of a head on prang which is important at the budget end of the van market. No comparable van from the land of the rising sun had the same chassis construction and trust me, I have cut people out of Hiaces and the like and they don't go tap dancing for a VERY long time. Later ones may be safer but the early ones left me cold. Transporters can be bought at very reasonable prices even with low mileage and the diesels get pretty good touring range - 800Km plus. Avoid Vito's like the plague - not even made in Germany (unlike VW)

The choices are swings and roundabouts.

For my money and where I am heading is a fully enclosed trailer behind the 4B but even the old box trailer does a good job - maximim load and maximum comfort.

Dave Mac  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »
I love my Vito...

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:18:48 pm »
I bought my Vito 112CDI, 2200 turbo diesel auto, new in 2003, last of the front wheel drives. Drives like a sedan, 800klms per tank of fuel, fits 3 bikes & gear no problems. Will pull a 17ft skiboat/tandem trailer at 130kph. Never had a spanner on it other than the schedule services at an interval of 22,500 klms, except for a set of discs & pads which cost $650. Love it, would recommend it and would even have one as a family car with seat & windows. The only time you know it's a diesel is sitting at the lights when you notice the diesel tick.
Cheers,
K

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 05:36:34 pm »
go the hiace heres my beasty  ;D

MUGEN power

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 05:43:49 pm »
Toyota Hi-ace, the only way to go.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:59:34 pm »
Hey Mike

Glad your Vito is good - my mates had a sliding door fall off and the front CV collapsed leaving the poor old thing sitting on one corner, lol.

Have to say though that yours looks much better maintained - really good actually !!!

The Thor mobile looks cool but check out where your leggies are in relation to the front panel which, when subject to a front end or oblique impact required the application of Holmatro or Lukas special factory tools

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.holmatro-usa.com/gallery/cutters/studio_958493159.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.modenafirerescue.org/HolmatroRescueTools.htm&usg=__wD0VkV7nzTaN9D4rG40h4T4Xe8Y=&h=389&w=904&sz=49&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=71ePT2UMV5VTgM:&tbnh=63&tbnw=147&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dholmatro%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/_images/ancap_vehicles/hiace05.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/_scripts/ancap_detail.php%3FIID%3D167&usg=___rfAjrWeIkJvpV2eRr_0PPaxIUY=&h=180&w=296&sz=19&hl=en&start=7&tbnid=ZIMb6zi3_n-4oM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhiace%2Bfront%2Bend%2Bimpact%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG

I'm just not a fan of the older style fwd control type configuration, but have seen too much not to mention it.

To be fair and objective the Nissan isn't that flash either in my opinion with the crash test !!!

All points considered  :D

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:13:20 pm »
I too have an AU 1 tonner ,I usually use a bike trailer but when i am doing bulk pickups i run them up the trailer  then a ramp to the ute if just using the the ute use a stool push and step up . stay away from transits or as they better known in the trade a tradgedy van mercs arnt much better ,a mate had one and after braking 2 lots of vales it was time to get rid of it. My Brother has a vw transporter no probs at  all and are comfy to drive unlike the jap vans - bit harsh sitting over the axle

mainline

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
I like the Bedford in DJ's photo. All it needs is an Viking woman airbrushed on the side

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:55 pm »
The Beddy, runs a nissan deisel (2.7/2.8??) carries 3 bikes with ease and goes bloody good, just like the owner, Danny, thats him with his modern RM250 (only rides 2 strokes) and below on his RM500. (sorry about the quality, but I didnt get much time to take the picture)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:47:48 pm »
A van every time.  Security, weatherproof, ideal for camping out, or sheltering from the rain when I'm covered in mud.  My Ford Econovan maxi (read Mazda), bought cheap as chips on Ebay has served me well for 3 years.  Didn't use a drop of oil to CD5 - 4400Km.
And I can get home late and leave the unloading until next day, without everything disappearing overnight.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:19:33 pm »
I think a van is the go. Having said that, i quite like what i have now. A reliable commodore wagon . I tow an enclosed trailer as well. This way the bikes are locked up, plenty of room in the back of the wagon, and i can sleep in it as well.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »
I think a Crewman would be pretty comfortable and give you more storage for your gear.

The only thing I don't understand about Aussie utes especially the Falcon is they are made for dwarfs, you would think they would have them sorted so guys over 6 foot fit in.
formerly Marc.com