Author Topic: It's HOT isn't it?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: It's HOT isn't it?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:52 pm »
Must have a read sometime. I remain skeptical though!

As for our New Zealand friends, they may be all over browsing AdultSheepFinder looking for love, but in their spare time they too have an interest in Global Warming (which is understandable as I suppose there is a danger to the sheep in it). Those whacky sons of sheep.

http://www.climatescience.org.nz/

PS this is a site with an axe to grind and I don't think it's actually a 'real' organisation, but a nice collection of links...

ted

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:07 pm »
If global warning is true ( man made or not )and the polar caps are melting why do i not stand furher up the beach to catch Jewies ( at high tide ) just left or right depending on the hole. After 35 yrs i have noticed absolutely no difference

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
Ummm... how about this? Ice displaces water, therefore when the ice melts away, the water level will actually go down?   ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:51 pm »
Its "Climate Change" not Global Warning nowdays. And the theory is that the weather will be all f$%ked up, not just hotter (although hotter on average).

I can't really comment from experience, as I moved inland in 2000 in time for he drought, so I've got no apples and apples comparison.

I am unconvinced by the agruments against Climate change, however - they're inevitably self serving: "We're doing nothing wrong - its not our fault" etc. They always advocate continued indifference to the planet, and no effort on our behalf, which seems more than a little weak.
Even if Climate Change proves to be a giant con, its clear that we can't keep living the way we have been, so I'm happy to be a part of the move toward sustainability.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »
I never thought I'd see the day but recently Darwin had the lowest daytime temp for any capital city in Oz. And this is supposed to be summer

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 10:36:36 pm »
I'm not sure that they are all self serving. Certainly there are those who just reject climate change as a knee jerk reaction, but there are also many who are deeply concerned that the whole carbon tax/credit system is a means for economic and political gain through fraudulent means. And Al Gore's own business interests are well served through furthering the idea that climate change is real.

From what I have read (and I guess one has to be wary of just reading stuff), much of Gore's Inconvenient Truth has been shown to be populist and alarmist with weak science and falsified data.

The notion of climate change is self serving in any case, and is now the norm due to the fact that global warming as a concept has been shown to be flawed (or at least, so I have read - I am no scientist).

All of that said, I absolutely agree, as do many climate change opponents, that as a species we do need to do it better.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:31 pm »
By the way, in following one of those links I posted, I came across this. How amazing - I had no idea...

http://www.warwickhughes.com/cubbie/

Check out the size of that irrigation/water storage system!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:44 pm »
I remember seeing this on Landline ABC doco Graeme and how the neighbors where pretty pissed at the time ,,,,,,,,,,,,is it greed or having to feed/cloth the millions.
I feel that it will all turn around again and we will be at least growing a few vegies etc of our own.
Like ya grandfather did. ;D
so much cheaper and women want whats is best for there babies. 8).the new generation will finally see. ::)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:57 pm »
If global warning is true ( man made or not )and the polar caps are melting why do i not stand furher up the beach to catch Jewies ( at high tide ) just left or right depending on the hole. After 35 yrs i have noticed absolutely no difference
Jeez I laughed Ted. That's such an Aussie thing to say. ;D :D ;)

Global warming...I have to admit I'm now a bit of a sceptic.
I'm not saying it's a fib, I'm just saying I'm not convinced anymore.
I feel the same way about the Moon landings but that's another story...

My reason is this: I've listened to 'Experts' on both sides of the debate and I worry how such learned sorts can interpret the same data so differently!
I'm seriously fence sitting on this one and my friends in the local Garden Club would be horrified I'm sure.
I think we're pretty much all Greenies in there (though I'm the only one with the 2 stroke motocross bikes... ;)).

But I lean towards the whole thing being a part of a cycle; something the World has done before and will likely do again - if we keep the hemispheres from blowing apart through aggression!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 08:20:55 am »
If you read through history, every century has had it's doom sayers that claim the sky is falling and the world will end.
The governments love this sort of thing because it keeps people in fear.  Like telling the kids if they don't behave the boogey man will get them.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
It`s a scam  so they could bring in carbon tax wish i had thought of that one !

4RoBs

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:30 am »
Global "warming" theories were first proposed by scientists as early as 1955. That is far older than just about every dirt bike that any of us race or restore. Scientist by nature disagree with one another and test each others ideas. In a recent review of articles the following was found. In all peer reviewed scientific papers (= profesional scientific studies) 100% agreed with the theory. In the popular press (newspapers, magazines, etc) the split was nearer 50/50. In other words the people who rely on selling papers are creating the controversy to sell more papers.

In the mid 1800s sewage was the controversial issue. People didn't believe that cholera and similar diseases were caused by poor sanitation. Even after the scientists working on the problem were all convinced and speaking as one voice there were still business people, politicians  and lay people that argued that dumping the shit in open holes was good enough. They didn't want to have to pay for disposing of their waste. And people died in hundreds of thousands - far more people than have died because of climate change. But eventually people came around. Sewage systems were installed, and people stopped dying.

Carbion Dioxide is just another human waste that is having an adverse impact on our environment. We need to clean it up. And it is probably cheaper to deal with than sewage!

Read the book. I've read hundreds of scientific papers, articles and publications on the subject. The book is the best summary of a very complicated subject I have read so far. And they are much better at writing than I am.

I'm off to release a few more carbons. But at least I am recycling - it is on a 1974 model. I'll plant some trees later........
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:00:50 am by 4RoBs »

Evil Rudy

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 12:21:11 pm »
We tend to think as man, that we cause, create and end everything. The truth is the earth is dynamic and under extreme pressure and stress all by its little lonesome.

Many areas of study suggest there have been approx 10 ice ages over the past 10 million years, the last one abating some 18,000BC. Would the little cave men hypothesize that their new found fires were the cause? I’m pretty sure that they were just happy to be warm, and in the case of most of our ancestors, to be able to move north into Europe and get out of that damn equator.

Free roaming mammals, hunting, increased protein intake, expansion of brain size and capacity – poof we have iPods and Starbucks – what a wonderful world.

So it’s cyclical (potentially) but you’re all correct. We could be a bit more dolphin friendly, because as a society we waste so much it’s laughable.

Riddle me this - should VMX racers get carbon credits because we re-cycle our bikes rather than purchasing a new one from the evil factories?

What’s disgusting is once again we have pockets of minorities pushing rhetoric on the majority. Make the world a better place, kill a nappy headed greenie today...

And if you’re interested, Google “wobbling top": The Milankovitch theory.

We studied this in High School in the 80’s long before pony tailed Porsche driving marketeers coined the phrase “global warming”.

If you‘ll excuse me its 44 here already and I’m going to go outside and let of one of my last aerosol cans that is NOT CFC free.

This is not the blame of Guns n” Roses
Rudy(s)