Author Topic: Import duties  (Read 3786 times)

TooFastTim

Re: Import duties
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 02:04:18 pm »
Oh, I see!

Consultation with "me learned friends" (i.e. this board and the Gas Gas importer) reveals dismantle, box and label as garden implements.

Problem with school fees is that they are international fees for 457 visa holders in NSW. Already have #2 son enrolled private school is seeing whether they can squeeze in #1 son.

Oh, Aus is fine in relation to the UK. What I read about that country scares me.

lc4

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:19 pm »
I've been offered a job in Sydney and want to bring my bike(s) with me from NZ, I beleive I may be liable for import duties, is this true and if so how much are those duties?

TIA.

If the bikes are for personal use and not for selling I don`t see why you should pay any duties. If your bringing a contianer of personal items including for example electrical goods should you pay a duty on this also?
I have a freind that is taking his family and his whole life to work in Italy for three years and because he has a visa for that reason he will pay 0% duties.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 10:22:42 am »
You have to get a valuation on your bike for which you pay10% GST, you also have to pay a one of fee to the department of transport in Canbera after you have dowloaded and sent away your application to them.

Could you not get the valuation quoted way under as the same way when selling a car/trailer to a mate and quote way under to save on stamp duty fees.  ??? (its just a dirt bike,sir  ;)   ;D  )
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:40 am »
ould you not get the valuation quoted way under as the same way when selling a car/trailer to a mate and quote way under to save on stamp duty fees.   (its just a dirt bike,sir       )
There was a time when we all did that Ali but these days they're a bit smarter. They keep right up with market prices and they have a pretty good idea if you're bullshitting them. Fudging the figures a smidgey is fine but the old $100 Rickman Metisse is a thing of the past.

firko

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »
While we're on this import thing....I think we could possibly in for some radical changes in the import regs if what's happened to the car import guys is any indication. Earlier this year the rules were suddenly changed without warning to make it illegal to import any modified vehicle manufactured prior to 1989 unless it can be proven that the modifications made to the car were made prior to that date. "Modifications" means anything that sways even slightly from factory production. Aftermarket wheels, non standard exhaust or engine mods, even some non factory paint jobs are now considered as modified and therefore unable to be imported.
One of the Klub Kevlar GOB's recently imported a '66 Chevy Camaro that's fitted with a stout 350 with all of the usual go fast mods, 17" Torque Trust wheels and a beautiful 10k Candy Purple 'House of Color' paint job. He picked the car up from the importer Phil Hart in Adelaide two days before the law changed. If he'd held over until the following week to fly down to Adelaide to pick the car up, he'd have been told that he couldn't import the car or if he did still want it he'd have to have signed a declaration that it was only to be used for racing or, have it registered and inspected as a 2010 model which would fail for all sorts of reasons, most notably emissions and safety crash testing. A hot rodder mate of ours told us of a friend of his who bought a 66 Mustang in the USA to give to his wife for her 50th birthday. The car had been updated with a late model EFI 302, 4 wheel discs and modern 17" wheels but was otherwise a nice original Mustang. The car was refused entry unless he was prepared to allow them to classify the car as a 2005 model, based on the engines manufacture date, once again, an impossibility based on the strict current ADR's. The penalty for not complying was having to ship the car back to the US at his expense. The car's still sitting at the importers awaiting the results of an expensive legal challenge. What's alarming about this stuff is the lack of warning that it was coming. One importer had three paid for street rods on the docks waiting to be unloaded when the regs changed making it impossible to land them here, and therefore the owners have basically done a lot of money.

What's the motive behind such a radical change in rules? The import car business supports hundreds of direct jobs and countless other associated jobs within the various offshoot businesses. The industry would turn over millions of dollars with the taxes supplying the government with a tidy little tax income yet, some pencil head within the government has decided that to implement these draconian new rules is a good idea. I guess shutting down small business and laying the boot into a well supported hobby must seem like a good idea to someone. Who knows what's next. There's a lot of bikes currently coming into the country and you can bet your last buck that there's a public servant geek looking for ways of stopping it right now. Get in while you still can...
http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf
http://modifiedcarforums.com/forums/general-automotive/7289-urgent-read-new-import-laws.html

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
the public servant dont car, its the CAR lobby holdens, ford etc who pay hundreds of thousands for an bank of full time PR spinners and Lobbyist who just sit on the governement anf bleeet, weel all be broke if you dont stop the importations, well losse xxx jobs , youll loose the next election and all our LABOUR - ACU spport. blah blah.     I used to import JAp R32,33,and one of the first R34, till they brought out the REVS idea, one look at that and i bailed, the paper work required was just mental it was going to be like QA for every car.  THe whole import vs government thing is a joke.  MAybe the CAr makers could 
A - actually build better cars,
B- sell us cars we actually want
C- make the affordable like the asian can
D - since the tarriff on imports for a " normal Car maker is down and there able to supply inot AU, well why the hell cant i bring in my own Car regardless of what it is ?   its a State law regarding Registratin complience not federal.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:28 pm »
TFT - recent quote I received for bringing a bike across from NZ (admittedly to Perth) was around $900 freight but then $650 port fees + GST - this was a full bike - not split up as parts.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »
ross less fees by air than threw ports. Not much more to Isle of Mann than auz have flown and gone by see to Auz from UNzud,found flying best
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina