Author Topic: Compliance plate  (Read 10343 times)

Offline utsman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Compliance plate
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:38 pm »
Hi there,
Is it possible to get road compliance for a CR500. I know they have the 500E but can you put lights etc on a CR500R and get a compliance plate for rego. If so how???

STU

Tony T

Re: Compliance plate
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:48:45 pm »
Hi ya Stu.
You may get away with it in S.A. but I think they generally check the frame number off the actual frame.
My KX500 was road registered, but that was from new so no inspection was required.
Maybe someone from other states may have better info?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:57:31 pm »
i think it is very hard these days as most places like Vic Roads etc will want a vin #. if that Vin # does not meet ADR's (aussie design rules) then its a no go unless you make it meet all that criteria.

in 1987 i wanted to rego my CR250, so i made up a full lighting loom, indicators, lights, horn etc etc mudflap, chain guard, universal tyre, all sorts of shit took it to an engineer for cetification and was knocked back for things like the master cylinder for the front brake had to be marked "clean before opening" so i did this and other things and was knocked back again for more shit.

i gave up, took it to an outer metro cop shop and success. kept the full rego up for 10 + years on that bike then dropped it back to Victorian Recreational Rego when that came in.

this was 22 year ago. i reckon it would be impossible now.  Maybe someone else know an easier way.

Buy the KTM 300EXC Utsman, you won't be dissapointed. i have both and the KTM is much better bike in the bush, i would hate to ride the CR500 on the trail, its all wrong (gear ratios, power spread, ergos, suspension etc) unless you are MR physco and use the throttle as a light switch.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:02:40 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:58:15 pm »
it varies from state to state and can be pot luck as to who you get at the rego office or police inspection etc. i know of a lot of bike rego stories over the years and what people can and have got away with and sometimes just because the police or department of transport officer or the girl at the rego office desk just simply has not known how to do their job properly. There are proper ways to do this and depends on what state you are in. you may be able to just fit lights, horn, mirrors, quiet muffler etc and get an inspection and approval for a permit or recreational rego or you may have to go through a the full drama of getting your bike ADR approved as Hoony mentioned and get a compliance plate for it. I have heard/read this is extremley expensive and you would have to be really desperate and have your heart set on getting the bike registered to take up this option.
Back in the 80's there were dealers who were given a limited number of compliance plates to put on certain new model non compliance plated bikes and they would modify them to meet ADR's and then sell them to customers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:26:29 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:04:36 pm »
I am sure that you can still get "Single Vehicle Type Approval" certification that allows bikes (and cars) that were never imported into Australia to be certified and registered. You may be able to get the bike certified thru this system, but as others have said it is VERY expensive and a fairly long drawn out process, involving engineering certification and testing that the bike complies with the ADR's ( i.e. blinkers and tail lights of the correct dimensions and placement, rear mudguard coverage, noise testing etc). Have a look at some of the crap mudguard and tail light arangements on modern enduro/trail bikes and you will see the kind of stuff you will need to comply with the ADR's.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:10:42 pm »
At his point I must admit that in 1984 when I registered the KX, I needed to quote a complience plate number. But I "knew" the girl behind the counter and called it a KDX 500.
Isn't there something called 'Recreation Registration' in Victoria? Maybe other states?
I can't imagine it would be worth trying to get full reg otherwise.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:10 pm »
But I "knew" the girl behind the counter and called it a KDX 500.
Sorry to be a wet blanket coz we all love cunning plans...
but this would end in tears if Insurance was involved following an accident (a serious one that is).
Just an observation. :-[
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:11 pm »
just buy a CR500E

Rosco400

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »
Hi there,
Is it possible to get road compliance for a CR500. I know they have the 500E but can you put lights etc on a CR500R and get a compliance plate for rego. If so how???

STU

Used to be able to buy road registered Cr500's at woodys m/cycle on central coast but sure they were labelled WMW500 I have recently seen the wmw250 version come up on ebay but think the era is around 1996
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:42:48 pm by Rosco400 »

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »
Sorry to be a wet blanket coz we all love cunning plans...
but this would end in tears if Insurance was involved following an accident (a serious one that is).
Just an observation. :-[

Didn't think of stuff like that when I was 18.  :D

kidzcarzandtoyz

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:46 pm »
hi in mid to late 80s when i was in the lower mountains enduro club in nsw we had some honda crs / yamaha yzs and suzuki rms that were road registered / talking to the guys then aking how they got them registered they said there was a road kit { wrc } by memory which you could buy and once fitted it could be registered / maybe the laws have changed since then but if you contact one of these enduro bike clubs they may know & i will try to find out more if i can cheers. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:27:55 pm by kidzcarzandtoyz »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:14 pm »
 If your in Victoria there are at least two ways,  Recommended, The recreational registration type, for details Google "Vicroads" and follow the BS bureaucratic links trail. Or if your a farmer or farm worker you can add a total loss light system and rego it with 3rd party insurance as a farm bike! yep no shite.....Both types have highway and town limit restrictions. Full rego with no comp plate or Vehicle Identification Number [VIN]  very very costly hair pulling butt licking futile exercise and as has been said insurance ......
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:33:18 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:01:33 pm »
buy a wreck honda of similar era and cc, and put the rego plates on that., then 1 year later you advise them of the new engine number as the old one blew up.

very rare anyone check a bike other than the engine. then if you feel so inclined a year later you can say the frame was bent and youused another frame as a donar and the new number is.  cant say this will work anywhere but i have done this one before on an 90' model YZ when i rode get this with the police mcc and they told me how to do it, later we did the same thing on a shit early RZ 250 when its rego numner became the donar for a grey import TZ250 we had and sold to a guy who later took it to the NT and when he tried to get it rego changed to that state it got push back as it had no complience plate on the frame, we told them we had used an imported frame because the old one had been bend and was unusable, in the end he got rego on it.  Not sure if that would work now as they have that write off rulling, but hey could try it, i  see CRF's and YZ on the road so someones doing it some how.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »
There's a gulf between "strictly legal" and "got away with it".

Best bet would be to find the frame (with compliance plate) and road gear from a wrecked 500E, and using it.

... I "knew" the girl ....

Everyone else might have missed it Tony, but I picked up on that detail from your sordid past...
 :D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline utsman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 06:38:48 am »
Thanks Guys,

Hey Hoony, I did buy the KTM300exc a 2006 model , and I am not dissapointed. It's nice. I was more asking the question for a mate who is unregistered on CR500 and asked me the question. I'll tell him to suck his bags.
I still have my 500 too and may just get to keep it for special days. Lets just see how the hugs and kisses takes that :o

The KTM is a better bike in most ways, but I do miss the arm wrenching 500 pull. Although I have just discovered the the 300exc puts out a lot of ponies when you make it scream ;D. It's quite a peaky motor, but has plenty of grunt for lugging up hills. Have you ever changed the power valve spring hoons. Does it make much difference?

Cheers everyone and happy new year.
STU