Author Topic: Bargain VMXers  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Bargain VMXers
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:02 am »
well this topic was too good to waste, can we expect to see a few more VMX bargains in these harders times.... will there be RH250s and MC490s at  give away prices. I mean they are still pretty cheap anyway compared to boats and old Mustangs.

But like everyone I am watching what I buy and chasing a deal, I notice the less desirable bikes have slipped a bit and are sitting round longer than a year ago. 
formerly Marc.com

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Bargain VMXers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:50 am »
Not so much a price thing, but i have noticed in the last month a few better bikes coming onto the market, i think previously they were held onto while they were deciding, i think the US decline has made some folks decicion easier over there and some collectors are releasing there lesser bikes in a stock take of what they have and other what projects they will actually get around to starting.  I think a good bike will still reach fair value but with a few more coming up the Auction style price wont go up higher, it will probally keep a ceiling as there is likely another one about to come on the market, were as before you coulnd be sure you ever see one up for sale  or whne so youd scoop it up.   I feel there will be more units offered for sale so its a good time to buy the ones you always wanted, perhaps not so great for the lower units, but thats open to interpretation.   IN the last month i would have to say i have seen some of the better units come up for sale and in greater numbers as people are doing a stock take on there holdings.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:03 am »
I think you are right, both the standard available is improving and good stuff is being sold. Also a lot has been imported.

VMX bikes are pretty cheap really, even MC490 for 13 grand and other exotica like RHs are not so expensive, you can pay that for 10 year old ute, or accessories for your Harley any time.
formerly Marc.com

runutz698

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »
I Think the european and rarer stuff will hold it price a bit more, but the Jap bikes where there alot more produced will slide a bit in price as they all come out the wood work for sale, Supply will probly out way demand, It is like the classic car boom it came and is gone, classic cars are not fetching the same prices they were 12mth-2years ago. But the rare cars are still fetching pretty good money. I.E. 1932 Cady sold for 500G where as the XY GT orginal passed in at 120Grand...where as 12mths ago it would of gone for 500+. I think things that were going for lots of money in the past that were spured on by hype ect. well and above it's true value will drop back to it's real value.

As far as cheaper bikes I think people have invested lots of money in there machines and will want atleast there money back so cheap bikes will come but may take longer to come through maybe later this year or early next year.

But if you find a good bargin grab it and enjoy, as everyone likes a bargin.....

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:48 pm »
Cycle god ----    im guessing they will mysteriously be removed at 12hrs and 13 mins before the end due to a 'missing or incorrect listing'  - this has become the poor mans RESERVE.  

But being the synic, i am happy to see it run its course and see if it dont O0
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

runutz698

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:30:06 pm »
The silly thing about people using ebay like this is that, it all happens in the last 30sec. If you were serious about buying it you wouldn't bid with a week to go. So they will never really know how much they would of got for it.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »
I Think the european and rarer stuff will hold it price a bit more, but the Jap bikes where there alot more produced will slide

But if you find a good bargin grab it and enjoy, as everyone likes a bargin.....

I am hoping to see a bit more exotic stuff on the market as the cash runs out, nobody needs to own more than one works bike ;D.  The quality is definitely improving, nice YZ400F on the forum for 4 grand at the moment, you certainly couldn't build one up for that.

The doer uppers shoudl be more affordable which is good for VMX as guys can get back into it for a couple of hundred and a carton of Swan lager again.
formerly Marc.com

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:36 pm »
Well I'm still ready to swoop on a '79 OW40 and a '82 RC125 if anyone is dumping either of those.. :-\

runutz698

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 02:53:31 pm »

The doer uppers shoudl be more affordable which is good for VMX as guys can get back into it for a couple of hundred and a carton of Swan lager again.
[/quote]

Really you can actually swap swan lager for something?? :-)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »

Really you can actually swap swan lager for something?? :-)

yeah but Swan Gold forget it.  ;D Still I am looking forward to guys buying an old YZ for a few hundered and doing it up themselves on a budget..... as opposed to cheque book VMX that I tend to indulge in.  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »
It's only money and you really need a 360 engine for that spare Honda frame.......
Cheers,
K

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:05:14 pm »
It's only money and you really need a 360 engine for that spare Honda frame.......
Cheers,
K

yeah I know a guy in Victoria with 360 engine, just waiting for him to buy one bike too many and get really desperate  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:31 pm »
Everything will go down in value.

I know a bloke who bought a Jaguar XK120 for <$10,000 during the last recession - it was worth HEAPS more than that a few years earlier, and its worth truck-loads more than that now. But at the time, that's what it sold for.

Anyone who honestly thinks that market value of their 'anything' is going to remain unnaffected, is dreaming.

Potentially, pre-85 and pre-90 bikes will hold their value well - partly because they haven't gone ballistic like the older bikes have, and partly because they've still got more value as bush-bashers because they look kinda like current model bikes, and don't have quite the same "its a relica' stigma about them.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.