Author Topic: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you  (Read 62193 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
Two points

1) This whole global economy business is one big ADJUSTMENT - the world and it's greed was WAY outa control.

2) When a recession / depression hits my job gets busier !!! The security makes my shitty firies pay seem OK ?

Good luck to all our mates out there who are getting laid off and hope work is just around the corner for all of ya... :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:48 pm »
I am sorry for those that have directly been impacted upon by this current "adjustment" (I agree with the description by the way) and as 090 says I am sick of all the bed news but also remember the papers and news networks don't want to tell you any good news.  I work in a gold mine - currently trading $100 ounce more than we budgetted for, oil prices down, BHP exported in December their second highest ever amount of iron ore out of the Pilbara, FMG is still going ahead with its ramp up, China is still going ahead with a $1.8 Billion dollar iron ore plant up North, One other NT company is putting in a 200km or so rail line out to their new mine, Xstrata has just pushed through its expansion of McArthur river, Harmony is opening up Hidden Vallery (18Million ounce resource!!!) in PNG

Pays to see both sides but the news doesn't always give you that.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Power Stand

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:31 am »
Wouldn’t a crystal ball be nice, the last 3 years my wife and I have been cutting hay while the sun was shining. Being a boom, we decided to pay of our home loan a go on a no spend policy, grow our own food, keep an old car but buy pushbikes and ride everywhere. It’s paid off, in 12 to 24 months I hope to we can by a second house and at the bottom. We will go cash as we go on all other goods needed.

Work mates questioned my actions but now see merit.  I work for a large mining company where people lost there jobs recently. I am still a contractor and about the last left, so I am still at risk.

I believe we haven’t see the fall out yet and we are at the top of that fall. The boom here in the west was ridiculous and we needed to normalize. I think that was going to happen anyway after the Olympics but the subprime in the US & UK and put us on or knees.

For me, time to regroup brace and get ready to pounce when to writing on the wall changes. Bargain time. :) 

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:53 am »
employment is to be treasured not treated like somthing to do between fishing trips and lattes.
To me this is just normal financial constraints of life that I grew up in.Yes it will be tougher and the credit card 20 and thirty somthings will hurt ,but it couldnt keep going forever.

too true on all counts. Takes time for the ripples to cross the pond. Plus to break the habit of spending money you don't have. But on the bright side I am expecting Maico 490s to drop to 1990 levels by the end of the year.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »
well fmd  i just sold a 490 maico for some one for 13.500  so whaoooo  ::)  there going up but if they come down great i ll  buy a few more   ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:58:56 pm by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:53 pm »
shit the pig just landed in me back yard
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:24:57 pm by paul »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »
freaky
its a vincent for christ sake and a chep one at that.over here that would pull about 75k.then there are the racing ones they are dearer again.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »
my point wasnt the price it may be worth, my point was people still have the money to spend if they want to
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 12:03:13 am »
sorry freaky
but people still have money my relos are here from england and she said to me  quote my mother left me so much money i will never spend it. they never spend winter in england.

YSS

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 12:18:30 am »
I have 100 meters of red carpet to clean from when Paul was here.  :D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:01 am »
i carnt see what this has to do with finance,s but pack that carpet up and post it to r nimmo (you know the rest) and he can clean it ,useing the new im a suck up your arse method and if you stencil  little monty  emblems on it he  will tongue it clean for free

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 07:28:05 am »
ps  im spoken for ;D  so keep hat heffar away from me

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:24 am »
when elton comeing back ,he might need a rug job toooooooooooooo :-*

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:47 am »
my point wasnt the price it may be worth, my point was people still have the money to spend if they want to

give it time, some people have done very well (like farmers) and are in a cash position but the majority are not. I don't think the crisis effects your local dentist with a VMX fetish but what it does is reduce the numbers of takers.
There is also a lag for unemployment to really kick in.

Interestingly Dec had record sales for houing in Southern California albeit with the average at 40% below Dec 2007 .... dead cat bounce. So like the UK in 1994, good luck getting 80 grand for a Monaro in 6 months time.
formerly Marc.com