Author Topic: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you  (Read 62170 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you
« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Whats the difference between recession and depression???
Recession is when your neighbor looses his job due to his employer going out of business and depression is when you lose your Job due to your employer going out of business
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
Spending is on a down trend as us baby boomers move from spend to hoard as we look at retiring. There just wont be enough punters to keep the spend happening to keep things moving up.... so we enter a period of "deflation" ie resetting the bar... hang on to your hats.... best advice, REDUCE DEBT. the banks wont be your friend when they are looking for cash. (CYPRUS :o). hopefully it will be a gentle bump but seeing the feds searching frantically for any cash they can find isnt a good sign.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2013, 07:54:37 am »
US bonds will be the go as the US economy deflates, the US dollar will effectively buy more over the next 5 years (so the punters say!!!) sounds half legit :-\

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »
 G.F.C. SMEE, I'm more worried about the maniacs in the north of Korea.

If some idiot gets trigger happy think of the other countries which will jump in while there is a big distraction. Remember WW2.

China v Japan, Iran v Israel, China v Taiwan to name a few of many.

Maybe that numskull will get a chill from his haircut and catch pnuemonia and save a lot of lives.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2013, 05:24:32 pm »
The GFC happened in 07. Our gumbyment and others keep using it as an excuse for all of their f##kups.
A simple rule, DO NOT LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS, comes to mind every time I hear GFC.
Still our boneheaded gov keep borrowing cash for stupid "programs" and studies to make them look good to the rest of the world and Swanny keeps telling us that although the country is in debt up to its eyeballs that its cool because compared to most other countries we are okey dokey.
2.1 billion for refo's this financial year. ??? ???
So kids declare nothing and get at your cash before Julia &co do.

Phew, that feels better ;D

Maybe some shares in sth korean construction companies might be worth lookin at too.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »
Walter as i told you a year ago BUY SILVER, you should be retired now with your profits
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2013, 09:35:18 pm »
I did too!!! you sure the 220grams I got will see me through? ???
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »
Pro Tip: Know what you're talking about before posting shit about economics, or risk looking like a fool and/or a nut job...

There's plenty written about what happened in Cyprus - their woes all stem from being a tax haven that produces virtually nothing.

There's also been plenty written about the changes to Superannuation taxation. Most of it has been outright bullshit, but now the actual changes have been announced, those calling it a 'raid' are just Henny Penny-esque speculators, they're outright liars.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »
Nathan I could be wrong, but with the so called "super raid", wont the squillionaires just put there money/equities somewhere else?, I mean they didnt get all that money being dickheads so I'm sure if it was going to hurt them in any way there financial advisers will just tell them to stick there money "here" so to speak......and so goes another "gee, we didnt think that they would do that?" senario like the mining tax....and the coffers will still be empty. Swan is hell bent on making Australia a communist country where everyone has the same....but it will never happen.....the muslims will own us before then. The sooner the election is over the better, then business will pick up for everyone.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
 You don't really think the Liberal party can lead with a bloke in charge who only opens his mouth to change feet ::)
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »
Nathan I could be wrong, but with the so called "super raid", wont the squillionaires just put there money/equities somewhere else?, I mean they didnt get all that money being dickheads so I'm sure if it was going to hurt them in any way there financial advisers will just tell them to stick there money "here" so to speak......and so goes another "gee, we didnt think that they would do that?" senario like the mining tax....and the coffers will still be empty. Swan is hell bent on making Australia a communist country where everyone has the same....but it will never happen.....the muslims will own us before then. The sooner the election is over the better, then business will pick up for everyone.

Not this time.

Compulsory superannuation is a good thing (brought to you by Labor...). However, during the Howard years, it became an income tax dodge that massively favors the wealthy at the direct expense of government revenue.
Basically, you earn however much money, so you (can) put some (more) into super, you pay income tax on the rest, and you live on what's left over. The more you make, the bigger the tax benefit you get from putting it into super.

The government has (correctly) said "Sod that, the ultra-wealthy don't need a tax break to convince them to increase their super savings, and it's costing us STACKS of money in lost income tax revenue", so they've reduced the tax-dodge for the ultra-wealthy.
It's a good move for the country, despite the ridiculous crap written by people like Robert Gottliebsen.

The only way to dodge this one is to earn less money - which nobody is going to do.

The biggest real criticism of the changes is that they were too timid.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2013, 06:06:16 pm »
So why do we need reforms in super .... to create another Government dept that can feed from it.
Joan... your spot on with your comment's  

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
That's correct Nathan, the problem with deductions applicable to your before tax income is that it favours the people who don't need it the most. Also low income earners (below 20K) have to pay more tax to put money into super than if they put it in their pockets  ??? Both these things had to be fixed.
Do not believe the shit that is spewed out by the Murdoch media outlets.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
I agree with what you say Nathan, but the rich will find another way to dodge it, what did Kerry Packer say.....it's called tax minimalisation (I know I farked that word up ;D)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2013, 06:50:15 pm »
Most wealthy people have self managed super funds and are probably ahead of the game anyway.

When super first came out, the accountant I had at the time told me to put the absolute minimum possible into it as I would never see it.