Author Topic: VMX issue 36  (Read 20001 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX issue 36
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 09:29:35 am »

You might be surprised to find out that we can't believe how quickly 3 months passes!  :o

No, not surprised at all, AJ. Have done magazines/newsletters myself (on a much smaller scale) I know how quickly times rolls around to the next deadline.

And having researched an article or two, I know how much work is involved too.

Keep up the good work.

ted

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 06:22:11 pm »
VMX 247....English,German,Scandanavian and even Lithu(fukn)anian but no Aussie interpretation...but thanks for the history lesson anyway

I also date from 1958 and to this day i have never heard anybody call out at a BBQ " hey you FOLKS, dinner`s up "

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »
...but what about going to the old folk's home?  (as we all shall surely do sometime)  ::)

firko

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 07:22:01 pm »
Jeez Ted, you may need to get out a bit more. Us folks out here use the term all the time.

PJR

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »
also date from 1958 and to this day i have never heard anybody call out at a BBQ " hey you FOLKS, dinner`s up "
This has to be a wind up.

ted

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:40 pm »
Bingo...Red Devil wins....congrats...just teasin Firko

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2009, 01:13:56 am »
Shit! We've gone off thread - and more than once.
Surely it's time for a thread Nazi to admonish and correct? ::)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2009, 06:22:14 am »
No, hopefully we've all moved on from there.... ;)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2009, 07:37:31 am »
For my two bobs worth (now that is an expression the fulks / folks wouldn't have heard of, lol!) I reckon VMX is the best value mag on the planet.

If you are fortunate to have the whole lot going back to #1 as I do (except where the fulk is issue 22 ???) then not only do you get the quarterly pleasure of either spotting it in the local newsagent and taking it home, or better still having it arrive in the white padded bag on subscription (which I have finally got around to renewing) you will have a virtual reference library for the world of old dirt bikes. For a bit over a buck a week you have hours of enjoyment and plenty to draw inspiration from along with some good traders adds and editorial comment - God even Firko makes a whole lot of sense, eh 'not now so big fella' !!!

I have to admit that some of the more obscure / rare bikes and brands are the last things I read but I enjoy them and recognise they are still part of the rich lineage of MX, enduro and trials etc and VMX mag would be a sad read if all we had to look at was a parade of all the 'usual' suspects be they Jap, German and Spanish or whatever.

Articles such as the Super Seniors inspire you to get out there an have a go and the Carabela / CR125m article an eye opener to Aussies who would never have seen one.

Personally I would like more articles showing ground up restorations to show how it is done, and more history on how the exotic bikes have surfaced although they seem to be out of the reach of the average punters which may well be not the case at all.
It wouldn't hurt to have a far greater emphasis on technical articles too as this forum is often called upon to debate for example 'what is better - modern powder coating or two pack?'

OK off the soap box!

Dave Mac  :-*

PS - If someone has a spare issue #22 it is either mine or I'll buy it from you as I am stuffed if I know where the one I has has gone!?
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:41 am »
 like some of you i get hiccups when i hear the word "folk" to me it is an irrelevent word except in front of the word " music" which of course belongs to an era of big hair and flairs [on trousers not indian front mudguards].the word also makes me think of listening to religous interludes on radio where some dude who appears to be out of touch with most of the aussie human race when he says stuff like "and to all you good FOLK out there". back to the thread- i have a copy of every issue and would you believe i have on a number of occasions been so impressed with the look of the cover on the paper shop shelf i have inadvertedly bought it again. consequently i have a few extas that i don't need!... on content my main interest is dirt track,flat track and old stuff about moorebank mt kiera & other tracks in nsw that i used to frequent.i also enjoy articles on personalities from my hey day like the article on laurie alderton a while back .keep up the good work!...more dirt track please!cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Phil

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
Dude. What a great old Aussie term of endearment Wally. Who was the comedian who had a routine called 'Don't Call me Dude"? 

VMX magazine is going along just fine. Ray would be a happy chappy. I love the weird and obscure stuff and Kens Van Tech article is my kind of thing. I love potted histories of the little known makes so I'd like to see something on Cheney, Rickman and even the lesser stuff like Hindall, Boyd and Stelling (Firko, are you onto it?), Champion and C&J. Keep it up Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:31:29 pm by Old Phil »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2009, 02:20:02 pm »
 all my grand kids [6 naturals various others]   call me dude, which is short for grandude.  wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »
SO...........................................When's the next issue of VMX mag due out then?
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2009, 05:30:16 pm »
Early March, good Lord willin' an' da creeks don' rise.... ;D

Oops...sorry to our NQ friends.  The creeks have already risen there haven't they?  :-[