Author Topic: bicycles  (Read 10355 times)

firko

Re: bicycles
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 06:26:12 pm »
So it is Mainline...I didn't look hard enough. It's still a cheap little pressy for the kiddies and going by the prices those Yamaha BMX bikes of the 70s go for, it may be a good future classic. ;)

mainline

firko

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 07:12:03 pm »
Sure looks like it. That's a little bit more than I paid though!

runutz698

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 07:25:51 pm »
Hey Guys, I noticed it is all off road cycling, is anyone into road bikes??

I have recently had my car stolen from my driveway, It was a lovely VK I mean it had everything. So now I have been forced back onto to wheels and having to pull out my pushy and dust it of,(If I am just going to the corner shop or to a mates house a few streets, I go on the trusty XR75) I must say I have shed a few kilo's as it is 12km either way to work.

Mine is a road bike I have always wanted to try down hill at buller so maybe this is the summer to do it.

Tom

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
I have enjoyed pushies over the years with BMX as a teen and the last bmx bike I owned was a Redline and then years latter I finished playing rugby and wanted to keep fit so I bought a road racing bike and competed seriously for a while on a Vitus and Connondale and I also had a hand-made track bike and a hand-made time trial bike. Back then the mountian bike I owned was a Scott boulder and a GT avalanche and now I have a Specialized Rockhopper.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:06 am »
firko, the bikes are nice but the best thing is the extra years you've now added to your life through changing your diet and exercising more.  well done - its never easy. 

and another reward is you're able to ride/race mx again - woohoo.

firko

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 09:58:36 am »
Thanks Twisty, that was the plan. I've got too much stuff to do to bundy off early. Thankfully I have no major health issues except the weight so the fitness comeback is a lot easier than for some. 20 years of tedious Rugby training during my playing years ensured that my engine was still running OK. It was my chassis and suspension that needed a bit of an overhaul. Some of those chassis issues may still prevent me from racing but I'll definitely be riding my toys in '09.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
I've lost 47kg

That's a tremendous effort, well done.

I have a Repco Maxtracks (basic MTB style thing, no suspension) that I found under a house. I cleaned it up and it rides ok. I was mortified that I recently had to buy a new tube and tyre, still owes me less than $20 though...

That downhill stuff looks like great fun. Just out of curiosity, how much does a MTB suitable for downhill cost?

Tex

mx250

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:57 am »
I've lost 47kg

That downhill stuff looks like great fun. Just out of curiosity, how much does a MTB suitable for downhill cost?

Tex
About $10,000+. Several years ago I meet the NSW downhill champion, his bike was worth (cost ;D) $10,000.

What blew me away was he was sponsored and went to races with a mechanic :o, and they prepared for a race by tuning the bike.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 02:11:49 pm »
Firko great work!!!! Lost 47kg!!! ;D call in here please know where a bit of it is now and you can have it back.......................... >:( ;) Cheers Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

211kawasaki

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 06:15:14 pm »
Yes, saw Firko the other week and it did take a double take to figure out the difference and what a difference. I think we should be all encoraging Mark on the quest for good health, a knee reconstruction then some gentle racing. Being one of the larger members of the VMX family I know how hard it is to get the weight off once its on.

On the push bike thing, my 7y/o sone and I raced BMX last year and as one of my customers is the redline importer  we did a deal on the latest Redline Flight cruiser - the oldest in the pack - never came last; came close but never last. What I can say is I crashed a few times in practise and it hurts more on a BMX bike that a MX bike for sure, and you loose more skin, the tracks are like riding on 24g sand paper. Great Fun though.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 06:58:01 pm »
Great work Firko. Everything will work better and be more fun. I bet you have inspired a few others with your efforts. Keep on keeping on!

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 07:48:26 pm »
Mark   fantastic effort, keep it up and I'll see you at the starting gates in 09

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 09:12:14 pm »
Yair Mark, bet that takes a bit of effort and dedication but riding the exercise bike watching morning TV is clever.  Do you realise that by the time you reach your target, if you could find a bare 1942 ' frame ' you could make another T250 K with what you have shed ?      Reckon you could do it in time for CD6 ??   ;)

mainline

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 10:19:42 pm »
following on from Tex's question, this topic appeared after I'd already been thinking for a little while about buying a mountain bike.

The dude in the local bike shop that I talked to reckoned that unless you're (a) willing to spend over $1000 to get something decent and (b) mainly using it off-road, you're better off steering away from the dual suspension bikes.

Anyone else who's into them got any advice on brands or features to look for or avoid. I'm talking secondhand here too, at the lower end of the price range ;D