Author Topic: 2009 qvmx sunshine coast mcc vintage nationals update  (Read 103409 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: 2009 qvmx sunshine coast mcc vintage nationals update
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:03 PM »
KTM had USD WP4054 in 84
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
sure simons upside down forks were availiable in
1983 in australia
they were imported by trevor floods shop
gassit motorcycles
you could buy them as forks and triples
or on a new bike
like a special order
ray vandenberg used them briefly
so they were availiable pre85
hard to find now and if you do they are about $4000 buckos ;D
bahnsys forks are of a 85 model so not legal even if they are the same
fork with a caliper mount only white power forks legal
are drum brake usd ones cheers rusty ;D
I'm agreeing here with Holeshot , the Simons where available in the US and a bit later here, but well before 85.

The White Powers as an aftermarket fork where not. Floody would have also imported them but something went wrong there. Russel Lewis who was an appretice mech for Floody left and went to work for CARA motor cycles(Kees Alers Shop) sometime in 84 . At the beginning of 85 some White Power guys came over from Holland to CARA and gave USD forks and WP shock to Russell to test on his 85 cr250, which he did but they weren't for sale until later in the year.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:14:44 PM by motomaniac »

« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
I must say something about the weekend. It will be one for my memory bank thats for sure. Had a phat time! Thanks to all the sponsors, qvmx people, Sunshine Coast mcc , Dodgee for helping me , John T for the sleeping arrangements etc and all individuals that contributed. I think i was smiling in my sleep!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »
Glen Bell was racing the Australian Mx nationals at Wonthaggi a couple of years ago on a crf450.. he still had it to run with some of the big boys..

Geoff Holmes told me that Belly got 5th at a national a while back at age 45 years .I think it was Coolum, and he was catching them at the end.!
Yes i was there that day and Belly put a lot of the young pros to shame.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »
Glen Bell was racing the Australian Mx nationals at Wonthaggi a couple of years ago on a crf450.. he still had it to run with some of the big boys..

Geoff Holmes told me that Belly got 5th at a national a while back at age 45 years .I think it was Coolum, and he was catching them at the end.!
Yes i was there that day and Belly put a lot of the young pros to shame.
Yer apparently Belly didn't have much praise for the current state of the competition in Australian Motocross

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
WELL I GOT BACK TO VIC TONIGHT ABOUT 7.00 WHAT A GREAT EVENT TRACK WAS SO GOOD I/M STILL DREAMING ABOUT IT A BE THANKS TO ALL FOR THERE HARD WORK IN RUNNING A GREAT EVENT. A PITTY SOME WON FROM 5TH AND NOT EVEN CLOSE WOULD SOOK JUST TO GET A 2ND.ALL THE CREW FROM EMMCC WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE CANTEEN GIRLS FOR THE STEAK BURGERS THEY BLUDDY GREAT.  DREW
EVO 125?

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »
well what about a straight answer is that honda legal

This is a question that needs to be answered by an eligibility Scrutineer there have been a lot of comments that if an after market item was available in the Era/Year of the bike then it can be used is this open to interpretation or is it Rule book fact,Glen's bike obviously passed scutineering,as it was raced,It would be good to here from the Eligibility guys on there opinion and reasonings not just for this bike but any body that is considering adding Wave discs and 19" rear wheels to there's

I personally believe these are reasonable mods,Glens bike is beautifully prepaired and presented and of course ridden 110% by him,at a level that very few can compete with in this style of Racing no matter what mods are on his bike,

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2009, 07:32:03 AM »
wave disc a bit suss  but not a performance enhancement ::)
so put the old one if its not  performance enhancement   :-\

any way im off to the hospital with my wife to have her operation  wish us luck

All Things 414

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »
Good luck Mands. You'll be right. ;)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
theres no arguement that Belly is still lightning.
but wouldn't it be great to see him on a pre~75 125 ;D
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
Yer apparently Belly didn't have much praise for the current state of the competition in Australian Motocross
Can't say I blame him -  ya pays ya money, ya go to a meeting and there's about 4-5 guys at the front of the pack who are worth the admission - the rest ya want to throw off the bike and have a go ya self ::). And that's me; I can't imagine how Belly and others must think.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »
As long as our collective arses point to the ground (i.e we're still standing) eligabilty will be an issue.
If you want a real bitch, ride a sidecar. Christ, the guy that won on sunday boasted 95hp in a motor that he says cost him $17k, we dynoed ours 2 weeks before the meet and came up with a massive 57 odd.
And when you look at some others and they're running 4 pot calipers et al it makes us wonder why we came.
Still the racing was fantastic and if we had 10 chairs to sell on sunday avo, thay would have all been sold, the crowd loved it and we put on a show,pity no-one came to watch really. The same event in Europe/UK would have had 50k spectators. I'm not sure if the sunshine coast knew it was on at all!!
Roll on Nth Qld titles and Qld titles.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
WELL I GOT BACK TO VIC TONIGHT.... A PITTY SOME WON FROM 5TH AND NOT EVEN CLOSE WOULD SOOK JUST TO GET A 2ND....
Open a can of worms time? Here goes...
I'm guessing the above quote is a reference to the protest on the final day.
When I left the track the results were 'provisional' pending the outcome of the protest, but if upheld it clearly shows the protested bikes were 'illegal'.
Seems to me a protest can be viewed as a 'sook', but in all fairness - and that's important at the Nats - an 'illegal' bike shouldn't approach the start gate.

So I'm wondering if an Eligibility Scrutineer on the first day would knock these issues on the head, or is an 'after the fact' protest a better way to go?
If the Scrurineer - the technical Guru - says "Sorry mate, you'll need to change this and this..." then the protester - a fellow rider/racer - isn't put in the unfortunate position of lodging a protest.
Sooooo, just wondering.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:39:36 AM by Wombat »
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Just back from the Nats with a head full of great memories of some unbelievable racing and even nicer people. Being stuck in the announcers booth all weekend gave me the opportunity to see every race and with that in mind I've made a few observations.
* Glen Bell was great and despite me initially having reservations on the legality of some of the components I spoke to a bunch of folks who know such stuff better than I and I'm now convinced it's legal (although I reckon the bike could do without the wave disc rotor). Belly was his usual smooth self both on and off the track and his 'stuck in second gear' second moto win was a ripper. Bike owner Geoff Holmes and I have had a few disagreements throughout the years over his liberal use of the rulebook but I gladly admit that his bikes are something else as far as detail and quality.

* Dean Burt is the best thing to come along to VMX in years. His RM 400T Suzuki would have to have been the most meticulously prepared Evo bike at the meet and the fact that he owns and prepared the bike himself shows that he's here for the long haul. His riding was ubelievably smooth and rocket fast, the fact that his times were within a cooee of Belly who was on a far more modern and powerful bike says it all. He and his lovely wife Danielle really settled into the vintage groove in the combined Team Husky/ Klub Kevar pit. The happy vibe at the post race pissup gave a hint that there's a lot more to come from Burtys VMX involvement.

* While Burty and Belly recieved most of the accolades, the meeting really belonged to  Brad van Barello. His 4 class wins were an amazing iron man display. It seemed that Drakie or I were calling his name in every second race! I don't know how he does it. He's a credit to the sport with seemingly no bias to any particular era with bikes ranging from pre 65 to pre 85. Good one 090!

* The West Aussies once again put in a great effort in getting over for the Nats. The very logistics involved in the effort would thwart most of us. A bit of political bullshit bunged on by one of their own prior to the event didn't help their image but after talking to a few of the WA contingent I think that they're at last over this clown and his annual display of pedancy as much as we are. The bloke didn't even come to the event but loaded his son up with a bunch of "issues" to confront the officials with. PL aside, the West Aussies were their usual competitive and enthusiastic group with some beautufully presented bikes. We could all learn from their enthusiasm.

* While pre 75, Evo and pre 85 are sailing pretty well and appear to be healthy, the pre 70, pre 75 4stroke, pre 65 and sidecar divisions had severe slumps in the entry numbers. The pre 65 and sidecars were especially woeful. It's all very well claiming 50 000 spectators would have lined the fence in Europe to see them but there would have been mayhem with those 50k angry punters wanting their money back for the substandard show. With the exception of John Cooper and Walter Preisig putting on a show for the crowd, the others were woeful. If the sidecars want to be taken seriously they'll have to pick up their act apreciably.

* It's the same with my own beloved pre 65 class. There were a number of notable omissions from the program and I've no doubt they all had good reasons not to be there but for the class to survive and for it to be taken seriously something has to be done. A wise old bloke told me over a beer on Saturday arvo "if the pre 65 class is going well and the Pre 85 class is doing well, everything in between should also be healthy". The pre 85 class is doing great so let's put some effort into getting the true traditional vintage class up and healthy again and everything in between can only benefit from having healthy "bookends".

*The standard of bike preparation was superb. The Bell and Burt bling bikes were the frontrunners of an entry of superbly prepared machinery. Thankfully the days of ratty old faded TM Suzukis, flat black DT1s and rusty old XLs is being replaced by bikes that have been restored to a presentable condition. Vintage racers are finally getting the message that the standards of bike presentation represents the standards of our sport. Rat bikes, as cool as some think they are, tend to send a negative message to the public. Interestingly, the really fast guys in nearly every class were aboard well presented bikes. That should tell us something.

I'm downloading the 800 odd photos I took over the weekend and will add more comment when I post the shots. I'm buggered from the trip and have come home to a bit of Casa del Firko houshold drama (thankfully nobody dead or maimed !) so it may be a little while before I get to upload the shots. Despite my above little criticisms, the Nats proved sport's in excellent condition and is manned by some of the nicest people I've ever met. Come on Broadford 2010.