Author Topic: A continuation of the DS/PE/RM/TM/RV/TS80 mini vinduro project  (Read 11154 times)

Doc

A continuation of the DS/PE/RM/TM/RV/TS80 mini vinduro project
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:51:49 am »
I had a few hours today where I didn't know if I was coming or going due to the weather so I had a quick piece together of the DS. I realize this in an absolute nothing project but as I've said it'll use a lot of parts I've kicking around, some since I was 14! HOARDER!! :o ;D anyway, this is the basic idea though it needs the exhaust mounted properly so as it sits properly :P The frame was straight which is good. In traditional doc fashion it's a piece from here and a piece from there and it all 'sort of' comes together. Airfilter box and sidecovers to come with the latter being very rare items to locate even used. Looking for a '78-'81 DS80 airbox if anyone spots one ( I have a nos rubber boot coming over 8000klm all for a measily 9 bucks aussie thanks to LWC's eBay tip). I could use an RM80 airbox from the same years but I'd have to weld on extra frame tabs and I'm lazy and I've blown huge $ on the nos DS booty ::) Had to fit TS75 wheels so as I could get a functional speedo drive hence I also had to fit a TM75 swingarm to fit the 14" TM75 rear wheel to match the bigger dia TS front and 80C forks..clear as mud so far eh ::) We now have TS75 16" and 14" wheels, TM75 swingarm and brake stay, TM75 rear shocks (nothing but the best! ;D) DS80 rear guard, frame and tank. RM80C triples and fork legs, DS80 front guard, RM80B pipe, DS muffler, RM80T top end, 26mm carb, seat is RM80 obviously and the speedo is a small job from a '79 RS250 Suzuki and finally a reshaped RV125 rear brake lever and brake rod. Wire up the PP headlight, fit a small tail light then she's ready for tarting up. It'll never be anywhere near the level of KB's modded mini's but it still has the sort of mini PE250B look about and it should have been the type of DS80 suzuki made in the first place :) at least I won't have to strip the tank and for once in my life the inside of it has less rust than the outside!! :o keeping tabs on costs..to date about $40 (add $10 for fuel and toll bridge) but I can't remember where the new bits came from or how much I ever paid it was so long ago. Found a freshly bored T barrel and piston this morning :o where the hell that came from I have nooooo idea but it seems I can keep my bling NOS item for another project. Mixed emotions :D anyone make mini PP replica's??  :P ;D

here is the bike I am trying to style it on sort of..not sure who's it is but I like it  8)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:54:02 pm by Doc »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: A continuation of the DS80 mini vinduro project
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07:58 am »
Starting to take shape Doc your in for a lot of fun when its finished  ;D it would be light work throwing that around in the bush  8) jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Doc

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:30:37 am »
Thanks Jimson but truth is it'll probably sit up here beside the other unridden mini's and only get started occassionally ::) I'll build it for sake of building it but it doesn't have a pilot so it'll just sit :-[

Doc

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:02:36 pm »
Thanks CG, I didn't want an RM tank as it detracts from the PE style I was looking for. The seller emileegirl I know through another forum, he's a good guy with an absolute shiteload of RM parts. The leak at the rear mount is a common problem with the 80 B and C due to the tank moving laterally on the single rear mount. A bigger rubber block to sit the tank on and a rubber strap on the rear mount instead of the bolt eliminates the problem forever ;)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:04:39 pm »
That will look neat when its finished Doc   8) I guess you wont but,shit i'd be pretty cool with the shocks moved forwards an a set of RM 80 sidecovers  ::)   Yep i'll bugger off back to the welder, ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:18:13 pm by KB171 »

Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:27:12 pm »
KB the fugly swingarm replacement had crossed my mind :P the shocks would need to be extremely short if I were to reposition the mounts forward but I was thinking of cheating and using a post '83 model box section job with the single shock tabs ground flat and new twin shock mount fitted. The later arm is a little longer but they bolt straight onto the early frame. The bike may end up with the nice alloy RM80Z wheels and front end yet if forward mounting the rear shock bumps the travel up too much. I never realized it but while the DS and RM80 frames look vevy similar the DS is infact more compact and smaller in all dimensions. The pipe for example only barely scrapes in under the tank and this may require some reshaping whereas on the RM I can slip my fingers between the tank and pipe..when it's cold obviously :o ::) anyway on the hunt for a late model swingarm which should not prove difficult to locate as there's a zillion of the late DS kicking around. I actually put the feelers out for a pair of RM80 covers again this morning, they are rare as rocking horse excrement and the Mahier copies I wouldn't piddle on if they were on fire. I may even settle for the rear FIM 80's style RM80T or X covers if I have little joy, only been looking for about 5 years :D   

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:53:26 pm »
Hey Doc,
Good use of bad weather.
I will check in on Monday morning to see the finished result :D  :D  :D. Have a good weekend.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
bike 44 looks to be a 78/79 model with UK alloy tank

i looked at those brochres and i have the 78 brichure with the same DS80 photo in your wanted ad. if want an enlarged scan of this then i can do that. i also have 2 79 brochures with 79 DS 80. only differences are square headlight, orange 'DS' on seat and differned side cover/tank badges.

also maybe look at the box section swingarms off a little TS 100/125ER maybe?

what is it you need a PP replica of? i assume your meaning a preston petty fender?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:02:24 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:18:45 pm »
No VMX :D not this weekend :( work both days weather permitting. I will get to it but a few other things to finish before I get too carried away. 'IF' I had the weekend free then yes, I seriously reckon I could take it from here to 90% done in 2 days...and 3 nights, then sleep for a week ;D

Leith, the mini preston petty I meant was the headlight/numberplate. It's physically too big in relation to the bike. The PP mini mudders are still available on ebay from time to time. The bike in the picture is a '78 PE250C with the early tank. Very tidy bike and a credit to it's owner. The TS100ER arms mount differently and the shock mount right at the rear, already checked that one. If no late DS appears I'll go RM80X with the banana type arm, it'll bolt straight on  8)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:21:33 pm by Doc »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »
the 78 and 79 UK bikes (and all other PE's) had the alloy tank like the 250 B as standard so thats why i thought it could be a UK bike. their road rules specifed alloy tanks. if its got snail cam adjusters its a 79 if not its 78, thats i how tell the difference between 78 and 79 models

ohh the headlight. the yellow one you have is worth a fair bit though. is it NOS?

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:07 pm »
 :D it was new about 30 years ago when I bought it for my TS250R Leith, now it's just old stock and not worth much at all now except in sentimental value ;) The PE250 is a Euro job but that's about all I know. Personally I'd like to see it fitted with gold rims ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:04:42 pm by Doc »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:13:08 pm »
probably is a UK one then. im currently looking for a decent 77 tank as i reckon i can make it fit to a later model. just so i can have a tank and not worry about having to drain it after each ride to stop the stickers bubbling.

you never know with that light, they pull big money on ebay, especially the yellow and white ones.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
are you going to do a bash plate? that would give it some PE style.    :)
1971 tm400 and PE's