Author Topic: 1980 Yamaha YZ250G Challenge  (Read 7898 times)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 Yamaha YZ250G Challenge
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 03:34:57 pm »
graeme my yz250 was in the same condition ....probably might have been worse...bought it for $500 but it got a complete makeover....
and it took me about three years to get it right....then on the 4th ride it lunchs the bolt that holds the clutch together... :'(
friggin metal everywhere inside the motor...now ive gotta start all over again...dont give up mate...they are a nice bike to ride
heres a piccy of the end result when i finished her...

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »
Come on Greame you know you can do it.  Mine was far far worse than yours and I'm embarrased to say I paid $1000 for it.  Everything was trashed.  Swingarm pivots flogged out, piston slopping around in the buggered bore.
BUT... I perservered and now I'm stoked with the result.

Don't give up mate - she will be worth it.  After all the "G" is arguably the best evo racer ever made - 1 more gear than the H and a kew kgs lighter.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 07:20:27 am »
You're embarrassed? I'll NEVER reveal what I paid for mine.   :o

But yes, it may just work out in the end. I think the motors not as bad as I suspected, and in fact every day my rose coloured glasses just get rosier and rosier! Will keep you all informed. I'll post some progress reports and photos, but don't hold your breath, there won't be much action for a while. First job, strip the motor and see what we have there...

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 11:28:52 am »
Graeme,youre making the right decision.Is there anything that your missus wants done around your home.I find that if the jobs get done it earns you big credits.I just built a pergola for mine,so Im looking to spring the old "I might like to ride more races on race day.I might need to look for another bike"some time in the new year!She'll be a good one when you finished!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 06:15:08 pm »
This was my "bargain" when I got her.  Hence the embarrassment  ;)  Turns out forks from 125, front rim cracked, rear rim chipped to death, muffler incorrect and on and on it goes.  Yours looks like a beauty in comparison.
I know what to look for these says, so I wouldn't get caught again.  Lessons well learnt.
At the end of the day freight from down south is $700 so ......
Well that's how I justify it to myself  ;D ;D ;D  Still to see if electrics are OK.

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
Guys, just think of the pleasure your going to have when you are riding them. I know I had a blast on mine and there was power everywhere. 4th gear wheelstands.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »
Yeah - Looking forward to that DJ.  Motor back together this week-end.
The rate I do things Graeme you will be finished yours first  ::)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »

Graeme,

We've all been duded at one time or another. One of the first bikes I bought for Steve Sweeney (YZ400E) to do up for him turned out to be a real lemon and I test rode the thing. I wont tell you how much it cost but believe me it wasn't cheap. When I got it home and stripped it just about everything was stripped, broken or worn beyond repair. Virtually nothing was salvagable. Then a call out of the blue from Michael Hughes of Bendigo Dirt Bikes to say he had two for sale, one a goer and the other a rolling frame. I checked out the goer much more exactly this time and found it to be in good nick. A deal was struck for the pair, a good one for both parties and away I went back to the shed. Apart from someone welding a bashplate on it for Enduros it was in great nick and is the basis for a ground up resto I am doing for Steve. I also bought a bike for myself from a mate sight unseen and it turned out to be a waste of money not worth restoring but I dont blame my mate cause he hadn't looked at it either.
So I say stick with it and maybe some luck will come your way. From what I saw it's not that bad.
I managed to pick up one of these (YZ250G) complete but with a broken gearbox and missing the original cylinder and an H one in its place but original plastics in excellent condition for $150. I have since paid alot more for the said cylinder & box but my point is for every dud there is the deal.
Ferris wheels & merry go rounds. That's my motto.

Viva la YZ
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
Short update. Good news today, finally had my engine guy strip the motor down. His findings? Like new inside, can't have done much work at all. There is some light rust on the flywheels but nothing serious. New bearings, seals and a rod kit and it's a goer! So that's made me a much happier camper.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 08:11:01 pm »
thats good greame i spose the fact that it is in a sorta bad way will make your resto very worth while because you have probably saved it from becoming a parts bike thats good news that the motor is in great nick thats always a good start good luck thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

ted

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 08:51:14 pm »
Hi Graeme,
              If you had seen my YZ when i bought it you would of burst out laughing just as my wife and kids did.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=2804.msg26258#msg26258

Theyre not laughing now....stick with it

If it was a 81 H i would take it off your hands in a heartbeat

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »
Thanks. Yes, she's a bit of a roughie but of course with time and money it can be brought back to worthy condition.

Nice YZ, Ted!

BTW I've got a set of YZ250H forks here in passable nick - some surface rust up around the clamp area but good sliding surfaces. I had them sent from a guy down the south coast - we weren't clear enough and he thought I meant an H and I thought he meant a G. I was just going to send them back to him, but if anyone's interested... He wants $150 for them. Happy to take a few pics if anyone wants to see them.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »
looks decent to me, little blasting, splash of frame paint, easy engine rebuild and you are in clover.

Like most of them the more you have to give up to get them right the better it all feels.
formerly Marc.com