Author Topic: DC Plastics ????  (Read 31529 times)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Garbage Plastics
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 12:04:26 am »
A big THANK YOU has to go to anyone involved or considering reproducing plastics for retro dirtbikes, without you people I, and others like me, would be screwed metaphorically or financially for replacement plastics.

If your considering pre'90 bikes get your OEM and aftermarket plastics while you can as for everybody interested in earlier bikes give your support and feedback, be it positive or negative, to those who can supply and fulfill our immediate needs for new bodywork so that it can all be improved upon to meet our unanimous approval.

Garbage plastics are better than NO PLASTICS even if not by much.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

firko

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 12:51:50 am »
I recently bought a full set of opaque white side covers and mudguards from DC and I'm very pleased with them. I understand that they're not the ideal for the concourse restorers but for a racer, they're great and the price is well within most budgets. I'm a happy DC customer and I'll be getting more down the line.

Mick

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:50 am »
I have no problem paying for bad plastics,,,,, so long as they state there not that good everyone,,,, instead of DC plastic's site saying there close to gen stuff, which they are no were near....I would pay a good price for the plastics if very close to spec,,,,but if there not that good then at least state the fact and dont tell all there great plastic's when there not.

If your happy with the plastic's DC sell for that money, then cheers to you,,,,i for one will not buy from them again unless they sell plastics that are as good as they claim they are.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:31:18 pm by Mick »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 04:45:40 am »
Better than nothing I guess however that orange peel is just slack workmanship and those parts should be shredded and remolded at the factory..No real loss of materials.

Orange peel on injection molded parts is caused by the mold being too hot and the guy should and probably does realise this.If He is ignoring the quality control thinking he has a captive market thats just bad publicity. The colours cant be exactly reproduced as the bead stock originally used cant be sourced however u would think the original shapes and mountings and finish could.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 10:21:19 am »
maier do front guards for 80-84 YZ 125. 250, 465, 490 in white plus other colours

DC's are doing some PE plastics. The fenders were the horrible bright safety yellow (which the yamaha guys also dont like) and they have recently done the front numberplate which i have been told (by someone who bought one) is now the correct colour yellow, so i might buy one. So it sounds like the correct older type yellow plastic is out there and they do have it but they havent done the YZ and suzuki fenders/side pannels etc in this better yellow yet
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 12:46:16 pm »
How come some plastics guys make perfect almost too good products (like the plastics and tank I got through xyz) and others can't  ::)
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »
I'm sure we all appreciate the big bucks pumped into setting up a repro plastic business; 5K for one mold is a huge commitment!
If his product is good I'd certainly be happy to vote with my dollars; the big "THANK YOU" cyclegod mentions.
But I'm the average customer who's just read two pages of both good and bad critiques.
Some happy and some disgusted!

I'm looking to buy plastics but given what I've just read I'll have to give DC a big swerve - coz I can't be sure what I'll get in the mail. :-\
I think pokey got it right with 'ignoring Quality control'.

Sooner or later the business will go down the gurgler if the quality is poor; sooner if the "fix it with zip ties" is the response.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 07:27:06 pm »
thats what im thinking. a lot of people are going to be too scared to buy their stuff. this is not the only time the topic of the DC's quality has been discussed though. i think the best thing people can do who are not happy with what they were sold is to give them some feedback. if they are a good company they will listen and take it on board and make an effort to improving things for the future and try to please more people.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 08:42:28 pm »
check out UFO plastics in italy.  They already re make 80s plastics and are now going to do late 70s 80s yam stuff.  UK importer is MD racing in yeovil uk.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:09:25 pm »

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
I'm not going to come down on DC Plastics. as many times they are the
"only game in town"   I have had some Montesa fenders, side covers, etc.
reproed by DC and the quality has been in general good.  Your never going to
get injected quality by the process he is using, as well as the cost factor.
I have had front and rear fenders made by Maier and the setup costs was over
$1200.00 USD per fender and this is with a 100 unit minumum.  They are smooth
and excellent quality, but also cost $129 USD a pair.  DC  will listen to your complaints
and are trying to provide good quality plastic repo's at a decent price.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 03:11:33 pm »
there are a few companies here I wasn't aware of.  Does anybody know anyone who makes side panels for the YZ B's?

thanks

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline DCPlasticsguy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 03:45:54 am »
Ok, let me clear things up a bit.

If you are ever unhappy with our product, please let us know. If the product does not fit, please let us know. We need feedback to correct our problems. If people continue to complain on these forums and never let us know, how can we get anything fixed? Zip-ties do correct some problems, but not everything.

All of our products are vacuum-formed reproductions from original parts. The vacuum-forming process is different from the original injection molded fenders and side panels. Maier is using a high gloss product called TPO which is basically the same plastic that we use only with a thin layer of clear coat on the top. We have looked into this product, but found the price to be nearly double of what we are currently using!

I know that we are not perfect. Some of our fenders and side panels have small blemishes, etc, but we are improving our molds daily. Slowly, we are converting all of our molds to a new generation material which makes a better product with less blemishes.

We are searching for an affordable gloss plastic to use, but have come up empty so far. The product is out there, but it needs to be affordable. Not many people would pay $120 for a set of side panels.

Just to give you guys an idea, we are required to buy 5,000 lbs of every color plastic that we have available. We have gotten rid of the "neon" yellow that we used in the past and switched over to different colors for yamaha yz and suzuki plastic. One of our main problems is that when our plastic is made into sheets at the factory, the color can differ on the top of the pile and at the bottom. It is a case of the plastic company not mixing their resins good enough and the color is actually different on the top and bottom of the pile. It's very frustrating for us and our customers!

I know that we have both satisfied and unsatisfied customers, but understand that we are vintage racers also. I have about 10 bikes and use our plastic on all of them. Our products are not meant to be on restored bikes.

When we make a mold from an original part, the mold actually shrinks during production from the heating and cooling process. We do up-size molds by cutting them and filling the gaps, but we can only do so much. The mounting tabs on the side panels are not going to be exact. Sometimes, you will need to drill the hole to one side or the other.

Many of the molds for these fenders and side panels have been thrown away by the manufacturers. They aren't interested in making these vintage products unless they can produce thousands of parts. Just to give you an idea, the most we have sold of one fender is about 250 in 4 years. Can you imagine yamaha doing that? The profit is so small that they wouldn't mess with it. Injection molding is an alternative, but the volume that you have to take will be hard to pay off. There are only so many vintage yamaha's that actually still run and are being restored.

Hope this clears some things up. Please call or email with any comments or suggestions for our products. As long as the plastic hasn't been drilled, you can return it. If something doesn't fit, let us know and we'll see if we can change it for you.

Offline DCPlasticsguy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:09 am »
Pokey,
The orange peel effect is not due to slack workmanship. Our "factory" is a barn behind our house and we do not make the bulk plastic sheets. We buy them from a plastic manufacturer and mold our parts here. We are vacuum forming parts, not injection molding. The orange peel effect is caused by the extrusion machines at the manufacturing plant. When the plastic is extruded, sometimes the grain is effected. Each shipment that we receive has a different grain. Some good, and some bad.

husky61

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 10:27:51 am »
We have purchased loads of different plastics from The DC Plastics Guy for our Huskies , standard white , special blue colours , special red colours etc etc , nothing is ever a problem for them , it always turns up , sometimes you need a secret handshake to fit it , but it does fit and always looks good.

Its a fine practical effort by good people and in my opinion we are lucky to have a  good honest supplier of good honest components.

One of the most notible things about the product range is that they are affordable , and as we are all aware this is particularly important if you have many machines.

Nothings perfect but everthings fantastic ;D ;D ;D

Shoey