Author Topic: Best Looking MX'er of all time. Vote.  (Read 29034 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Best Looking MX'er of all time. Vote.
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2007, 11:54:05 am »
theres nothing wrong with that harley firko  i would own it in a heart beat

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2007, 12:17:13 pm »
No disrespect to the owner, but I have to agree with you Doc, give me the little Maico any day. Horsepower doesnt always mean beauty..... only in america...... but I wish him good luck with his next project :)
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Phil

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2007, 12:28:02 pm »
I reckon the Harley's gorgeous too. I saw it at Ravenswood in '92 and stayed overnight at Marsh's place in Fresno in 95. Many Aussie vintage racers have dropped in at Marsh and MaryJanes 'Crippled R Ranch' over the years. I was lucky enough to have a blurt around the paddock on not only the big motocrosser but on his KR flat tracker. I had a drive of his T Bucket hot rod too.

I reckon the Bultaco Astro would have to be up there in the beauty stakes

Yamaboy

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2007, 04:53:59 pm »
I dig big Marsh's Harley too. I always had a soft spot for the Cotton Cobra. They were tempermental pricks of things but I reckon they look great.

In pre 75 I reckon there's nothing finer than an Ossa Phantom
While I agree that those black tank '79 Huskys look good, they don't hold a candle to the prettiest Husky of them all, the 1981 CR500 'Silver Bullet'.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:55:42 pm by Yamaboy »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2007, 05:11:14 pm »
Short, light, sweet. i  have but only one true love. my Yza.   For the time these puppies where on the cutting edge, flat takers ran Disk brakes in 72 but motcross still had to wait a few years, no bling or bullshit just built real light and wound real tight.   Motorcross screwed around with all these hair brain idea ( rear shock forks come to mind ) and yet the dirt track bikes just went fast, this one has dual shifts ( L&R paddles) ideas that actually served a purpose,  the point came where you had to ride the arse of them because there was no miracle long travel shock coming, it was all skill and determination from there on in, hence why so many died trying to find that 'Ragged edge'.    These guy worked with the technology they had and tuned everything, even the frames to get every extra bit of turn and power.  The only exotic bits where ceriani, betor and mazzochi forks and suspension that while simple actually did one thing - worked, (and are still some the best forks today, even KTM used them.)

Racing in venues like the Astro dome with 50,000+ people cheering like a gladiators ring, i wish my little bike could talk, i wonder what it has seen for the last 33 years, some time beauty is not how flash or cutting edge something is, it is its moments in life, i believe the best looking bike can also be that which is a success and has done so over many years, its the bike or model that has pumped away for years like the little train that 'thought he could' that gets my vote, a flashy works mx bike might look good on a stand but many are real one hit wonders, one season of success really cant be the yard stick for the best of breed.

This bike rode district 36 and throughout california for over 16 years on both the pro circuit ridden by guys like Randy Mamola, Rodger Slack, Don Bailey, Rusty Davis, Mike and Dave Faria, Mike and Rick Delacy, Rocky robinson, handed down to Only the most serious of sportsmen racers.  In 1974, 75 many pro's even ran them with a 360.  my exhaust is ex steve ekland short track pipe helped its rider to ama Rookie of the year and onto many ama titles.  A tough little bike even running White plates, number 1 or 2 one year, White plate were awarded to the top 20 shorttrackers in California.  

Some times beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone likes the flat track look or style, but we also need to give credit to those models that just kept pluggin away for so many years and 'Earned' the right to be known as one of the best.     ;)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 05:39:32 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:32 pm »
I haven't changed my vote, despite putting up some beautiful bikes and passionate arguments I'm unmoved - the Black Husky CR390 by a handsom  :D margin.

Back in 'the day' when I was in the market for a new MX'er I looked at the CZ but was put off by 'the house paint apllied by a house painter' painted tank, the funky looks and the price. But just to show an 'old nail' can be turned into a thing of beauty with a dab of paint and a little good taste and 'spit and polish' I offer the following....

Maybe not 'the champ' in 'the prettiest ever' but definately a contender.

(Firko, this is your cue to post the other 'black beauty' - that Kiwi chromemoly titanium wonder (that was on the old forum)).

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2007, 06:44:26 pm »

czvmx

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 07:03:23 pm »
All votes for any old MX , they all look great, regardless of Make , you cant beat twin shocks, they started it all for VMX
Keep the good pictures coming  ;D

firko

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 11:37:51 pm »
This one?

What about the dear old DT1

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2007, 08:23:52 am »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2007, 08:24:22 am »

Doc

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2007, 04:50:10 pm »
Firko when I said 'hideous' it was meant in the nicest possible way ;)

So many nice bikes and more of some rarely seen..tiddlers also but nothing I'd be ashamed of  8)

1977 AIM 50cc MX

As much as some will tear strips off me for even suggesting this, I reckon a hot little XL125 would be ideal in this Ancillotti. It has all the appearances of a mini HL  :P

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2007, 09:13:37 pm »
Just looked in my shed, various hideous fugly sidecars, race stripped SL350 and SL125 and my sweet little restored SL70 ::) better move to another thread hey Tim!!!! ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2007, 10:14:42 pm »
OK Hoony, just increased the folder space for attachments...  But I'm thinking I'll have to prune that folder some time soon.

As for this thread, superb. Love all these pics, they ALL look great!

mx250

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2007, 07:39:06 am »
As for this thread, superb. Love all these pics, they ALL look great!
He's obviuosly is not on dial up is he nathan  ;D - even my adsl has stalled at times. :P ::)