Author Topic: Obsolete  (Read 6815 times)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Re: Obsolete
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:49 pm »
As I understand it, the VB360 Montesa, both 77 & 78, are allowed to race in the US, unmodified in their equivalent pre 77 class.  Why not us?

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:39 am »
That is probably because the Oz pre '78 class rules were almost a word for word copy of the AHRMA Historic ( pre '78 ) class rules . The US rules were updated a while ago to include the '77 & '78 VB Montesas , but the  MA rules have not followed the changes . I still think that the suspension limit for this class should have been set at 10 inches , not 9 inches . There were quite a few bikes produced in 1977 with more than 9 inches of suspension travel & you should not have to modify them back to the inferior standards of other manufacturers who were lagging behind at the time . 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:45:54 am by Husky500evo »

firko

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:08 am »
still think that the suspension limit for this class should have been set at 10 inches , not 9 inches . There were quite a few bikes produced in 1977 with more than 9 inches of suspension travel & you should not have to modify them back to the inferior standards of other manufacturers who were lagging behind at the time
I agree. Mark has correctly spotted that the AHRMA rules have been amended but the MA carbon copy has yet to follow.
I think that the limit should be set at 10" for the reason that it's more beneficial for the sport for those bikes with lesser suspension to modify up to the 10" limit than to ban those bikes with too much suspension. It just opens the class to more variety.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01:24 am »
you guys are spot on it should be a 10 inch rule  8)
huskys are too long as well
and for 1 inch it should be changed to 10
stupid having to restrict travel on forks
to be legal >:(
i think a lot of other euro bikes are ten as well ???
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 11:33:45 am »
Plus it means that the confusing and pointless guff about "Some 77 model bikes are not eligible" (yeah? Name them?) can be removed.

Its not only Euro bikes that have over 9" of travel in 77. ;)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 03:59:26 pm »
Immagine if the twin cylinger ribi frunt end cr had made production ,that is such a "out there"bike!!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 04:16:37 pm »
Nobody has pointed out the first CR125 yet?!

Right on, it was cheap, way faster than anything else-stock-it handled great and you could get one anywhere. The first time I was present when Dad bought a new bike-his brother in law bought one. We stuffed it in the RV-and halfway to the house turned around-Dad bought the last one on the floor( that day-even in Louisiana they had a tom of them). Never again a competitve non Japanese 125 after this-really this bike made the 125 class big-riders who had "moved up" to 250s and open raced 125s again since this bike was so good. Why does it not get the icon status of other bikes.
Hell, I'm a Euro bike fan, but have to think this is THE most iconic mx bike ever.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

TM BILL

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:59 pm »
Nobody has pointed out the first CR125 yet?!

Thats beacause the question was what production motocrosser made the previous years model obsolete ?
The first CR was the first in a new range so there was no previous model to superceed.
The RM125X was the 8th generation RM125 M, S, A, B, C, N, T, X

No question the Elsinores bought MX to the masses but i dont believe they are what this thread is about.

STW996

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 06:45:04 pm »
What about the TM125/RM125 transition?  Suzuki's first production MXer which bore no resemblance to a hotted-up trailbike.

I would like to find an old copy of I think Australian dirt bike mag that had as a headline "THE RM 125 HOW MUCH BETTER CAN IT GET"

Well at least I am sure that is what it said ???

Shane

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 07:24:06 pm »
Thats beacause the question was what production motocrosser made the previous years model obsolete ?

Oh, right...

YZ125C, G and K were all huge steps foward over their older incarnations (though the K's on the list mostly because the J was so unloved).
YZ250G (and again, the K should probably be there because the J....).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.