Author Topic: New toy for Jonesy.  (Read 5716 times)

firko

New toy for Jonesy.
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
Those who know Alan Jones will understand what an enthusiastic and ecclectic collector (and fast racer) he is. Besides his Black Betty and Ugly Betty Metisses, he's got all sorts of weird and wacky shit ranging from a Jawa ice racer to a Monocoque Hagon TT500 evo motocrosser to '74 CCM, Cheney Matchless, BSA B50, 30 plus speedway bikes and shitloads more. The latest in his ever growing collection is an American Eagle 405 which has to be the bargain of the year at $280US even with the crap currency exchange. He already owns a 250 Kawasaki powered version so now he has the matching bookends with the 405. The American Eagle is actually a British made Sprite which was also sold here as an Alron. They were pieces of crap but they are an interesting part of our sports history that should be preserved. When you look outside of the circle there are some great bikes to be had for low outlay. I know it's not for everyone but restoring these often overlooked, 'left field' bikes is pretty rewarding and weirdly addictive.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Sprite-American-Eagle-Talon-Motocross-Bike_W0QQitemZ140273381169QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6719QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New toy for Jonesy.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:37:09 pm »
The 250 version w the F21M Kaw engine was actually a decent bike IMHO but then I'm lime-green-biased.

The 405 version was another matter, but still interesting

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:56:05 pm »
Call me weird but I like it! That's a good buy, I'd have it in my garage tomorrow.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »
I agree, these bikes may be shitboxes but they are still an interesting part of motocross history and for that reason deserve to be preserved. I'd have it my shed tomorrow as well.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:41:36 pm »
Well JC, I can only hope I get my F21m version finished in time for CD6 so we can both sit there and admire it (and do a few laps on the grass).

I suspect that Jonesy will beat me to the punch and have his finished first!

Regards

Ken

firko

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:57:32 pm »
I think I'll see if I can find one myself. I like the odd stuff too. The further away I get from the racing side of our sport, them more the quirky stuff starts to appeal. With due respect to the guys who love them, there's only so many yellow Suzukis, white Yamahas and red Hondas and Maicos a man can look at before they all start to look the same.
More power to diversity and looking outside the circle.

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:19 pm »
Pity the dollar has gone to shit................  ::)

So what's it really cost to get a bike like that landed here?

firko

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:25 pm »
By sheer coincidence Tony, I just this morning got the invoice for my stuff which has arrived from the US.
*Boyd & Stellings TM400 Suzuki
*Rickman Metisse frame
*Rickman tank, seat side covers and mudguards
*Three Yamaha race pipes
*Trackmaster flat tracker tank/seat
Grand total including government fees=$1080 Au. Not too bad, I'm sure you agree. Luckily we bought this stuff at 94c-97c for the Au dollar.
Jonesys Weslake Metisse and American Eagle 250 have also arrived so we're taking a quick run up to the Gold Coast to pick it all up on Friday. I've also got the DT1 and Kawasaki F81m engine I'd previously bought stored at Suzuki 211s place so we'll also pick them while we're up there and share a few quiet beers with Dave. Better than Christmas!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:04:25 pm »
Mark,

Too right (as my father would say) - that IS Christmas!!

I agree wrt a sea of red/yellow/white - bikes as common as backsides. Every one's got one, so they don't really appeal much.

Thats one reason I like anything lime-green.

Ken, I'd be delighted to sit there & admire yr F21M w you at CD6. I enjoyed the red one at CD5 (& chatting to the owner who raced one back in the day). No doubt you did too. Is yrs red or green. (I prefer them lime-green, but I'd take any!)

Believe it or not, I have a head for one sitting in the shed. That's probably as close as I'll ever get to owning/riding one.

mx250

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:18:28 pm »
I agree wrt a sea of red/yellow/white - bikes as common as backsides. Every one's got one, so they don't really appeal much.
But ahhh, 'do you want to pay for the bike you want to ride or the bike you want to collect?' ;D - to paraphrase someone famous like Johnny Walker ;).

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:48:25 pm »
Hi JC - I was actually talking about my American Eagle Geronimo with the F21m engine being ready for CD6, not my Kawasaki F21m.  That will take a bit longer to restore.  It's a green/white tank model, but that's the reason it will take longer - I don't have and can't find a tank!

Ken

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 05:09:15 pm »
Firko ,   I take it you used Rolyleahy custom Imports ????

Tony T

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »
*Boyd & Stellings TM400 Suzuki
*Rickman Metisse frame
*Rickman tank, seat side covers and mudguards
*Three Yamaha race pipes
*Trackmaster flat tracker tank/seat
Grand total including government fees=$1080 Au. Not too bad, I'm sure you agree. Luckily we bought this stuff at

That's exceptional! Essentially, what you bought would alomost take up the same space as 2 bikes............ for grand!! Cost you that to get 2 bikes across the country.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 05:54:54 pm »
Ken,

I like it both ways - Geronimo or F21M!

Doc

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 06:46:23 pm »
just looked at this thread and I'm insanely jealous! ::) I know exactly what you mean Firko when you say the jap bikes regardless of make or model all sort become for want of better words 'asthetically boring' or 'optically depressing' after a while. I'd love something different regardless of the shitbox tag or whatever goes with it. Call me a spaz but being a smaller type person I love the old early to late '70's Carabella's, Fantics, Aspes, Simonini ,AIM, Gori or anything out of the ordinary in smaller capacities. Mind you i would gladly settle for that American Eagle too! Good onya'll that's some great buying!  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:45:55 pm by Doc »