Author Topic: Electric charger  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
Electric charger
« on: March 16, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »
Anyone on here has something to do with Electric or hydrogen Cars ? I am thinking of getting one as a local runaround . What is to look out for when purchasing a charging station ?
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Electric charger
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »
They have put a charging station on the Nullarbor.
https://thedriven.io/2018/12/14/diesel-charge-evs-remote-locations-greener-than-you-think/
Probably not what you are looking for but I couldn't stop laughing.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:47:16 PM »
Yes it may be funny for now .  But I can see the bigger picture . Had a call from a prominent member and he advised to stick and wait for Hydrogen .
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 05:39:30 AM »
Carefully with hydrogen= Hindenburg ;D

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 01:50:21 PM »
Carefully with hydrogen= Hindenburg ;D
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of electric vehicles for short range applications. If I won the lotto I'd get an EV straight away and a big PV system on the roof to charge it. Just seemed pretty funny to have a diesel powered generator parked in the middle of the Nullarbor to charge the Teslas.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »
here`s one better on the Nullarbor bio diesel scroll to 7.40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybFYtFNUDY

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 11:36:49 AM »
The petrol lobby has tried everything to stall the process of electro and hydrogen vehicles. 2025 Germany will stop the production of fossil powered vehicles . That will include Mercedes ,Porsche ,VW,Skoda , Ford and Opel (GM). That is not even 3 years away  :o   Petrol stations in Europe are now under instruction to build the right infrastructure now or perish .Japan is following a similar path. That would mean people in Australia that want to stick with petrol or diesel will be left with American guzzlers paying about 3-4 $per liter. It will be interesting to see if bikes will follow that trend and  deal with that situation.What will it do to racing ? What will be the general perception of the main public (mainly the young generation ) for future petrol use ,after 2025 ? Only  2 more X-mases (and one more election ) and we have to face it . What are your thoughts ?

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 11:12:11 PM »
Well I think that we are just going to kill and poison our planet faster. We can not even fully recycle AAA batery. What can you do with battery that weights 1/2 ton :-\
Perhaps send it to some poor country and pretend that it has been recycled  8)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:21:45 PM by Tomas »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 04:34:30 PM »
Not too many years ago for any of us to remember but everyone was going Diesel and we can see how that worked out for everyone. Now its electrickery and Ive a feeling the same will happen with that power source. There is still a lot of life with the ICE with efficiency gains from forced induction, smart electronics, engine design and heat scavenging and thats even before choosing the fuel.

The controlling powers are  pushing Electricity but our current government forgot about incentives for them in the budget . Another drawback that we all know is the recharge time and the unsuitability for certain tasks like towing. This makes a 1000K trip  a very lengthy process. The world isnt ready for an electrical future and Australia even less so.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 10:02:28 AM »
Alot of good points to consider . The more I think about the batteries , the more unrealistic it sounds . Imagine a  billion cars with a 1/2ton battery each and a life span of 10 years per battery .That would be a lot of hazardous waste . I know JCB (heavy earth moving equipment ) have created a new head for their big Diesel engines that contains a spark plug and uses Hydrogen . When you think about it , Hydrogen in bottles is no more dangerous than LPG and we have plenty of experience with gas driven cars . Once hydrogen is made ,it can be bottled to be taken anywhere . Used in a converted combustion engine , used to drive a electric motor in a car or even run your house. Imagine harvesting your solar and take the converted Hydrogen  anywhere , feed your home with electricity  , drive the car , sell or trade the surplus . ( I think the government probably want be in fav our of that solution for tax reasons ;) ) I think that is avenue to pursue.With so much empty space in the out back , big solar farms could produce the hydrogen , it then can be transported anywhere with no loss.  Please dont tell me I am dreaming .

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 04:53:16 PM »
Hydrogen is a good option but not quite as simple as LPG in it's storage. The LPG cylinder hold around 200 psi of liquid that easily turns back into gas but the Hydrogen cylinders are a bit like Oxy cylinders that have very high pressure in them , around 2000 psi or more and have to be very thick to handle the pressure. Other problem with internal combustion is the water formed when it burns creating rust inside normal petrol engines. I've though about using petrol and hydrogen together so that the petrol burning keeps things dry with say 70% hydrogen used to get the power. It would cut petrol use by a large amount.
Getting back to batteries and the disposal issue aside Australia mines almost half of the lithium used to make batteries and it sells it to China for peanuts and then china turns it into batteries and all-sorts of consumer battery powered rubbish and sends it back to us and makes a killing out of it. Australia needs to wake up and start putting in plants to convert our natural resources into finished products.     

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 05:48:26 PM »

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 09:32:04 AM »
I watched the whole clip .Thanks Tomas for sharing . Lots of clever spin in it . The statement was " the only thing to fix this mess ,is population growth " I thought that was very brave attempt to expose and name  the elephant in the room .

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 11:39:24 AM »
 Few people know about the new BIO Fuel being developed. Made from food waste and plant matter.
 It is not the same as Methanol or Ethanol. EXXON - Mobil in partnership with Porsche are this year using it
  in the Carrera Cup Cars. Some of the motorcycle manufactures are also testing it. Like BMW and KTM.
  Also a  Diesel version of the Fuel is being tested by
   Mann Trucks who are part of the VW group.