Author Topic: Classic eligibility question  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
Classic eligibility question
« on: March 05, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »
A friend with a 73 mint original Maico is contemplating to tick of his bucket list by "racing" his old lounge room classic . He asked me , if he needed to change anything to be eligible . I have been out of touch with racing for the last few years and not up to date with the latest. The question is : Can a stock mint bike be entered or does it need to be modified in any way to comply with today's rules?
If so , what mods are required?
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Classic eligibility question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 04:17:25 pm »
The only thing if it is all original 73 Maico would be a front sprocket cover and that ridiculous rear sprocket/chain guard. Must have a kill switch fitted as well but pretty sure they had those. Not sure if the 73 Maico's came with a muffler fitted to the stinger but a muffler is required and I think a handle bar cross bar pad is required as well.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:58:58 am »
Thanks for that info 8) . Fair few changes from OEM . Based on that my advice to him will be , to buy a ready racer and preserve his bike instead . You just do not see many in that original condition anymore . From what I have noticed , those reproduced bikes will work a lot better on the track and are going at very reasonable prices at the moment .
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:38 am »
A few thing required but nothing that can't be easily removed once he decides not to race it anymore.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »
He has done his sums and scored a blinged up runner , ready to race for $3600 . This way he can keep the original bike and offload the modified purchase again without great loss, should he not like racing .Prices have changed a lot over the last couple of years .

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »
He has done his sums and scored a blinged up runner , ready to race for $3600 . This way he can keep the original bike and offload the modified purchase again without great loss, should he not like racing .Prices have changed a lot over the last couple of years .

$3600 sounds like a bargain for a runner to race. prices have certainly dropped. i reckon it is due to when the Yankee doodle dollar
was close to even with the Oz dollar a few years back, this flooded the market with imports so there is more supply now than demand.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 06:26:52 pm »
That's a real bargain if it's race ready. Where is he located ?