Author Topic: is this a scam?  (Read 4389 times)

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
is this a scam?
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:19:29 pm »
I have bought a 77 Elsinore as a project.  It is a good basic bike but does need some work and it looks like the big end is gone in it.  I saw a new motor for sale on Elsinore-swap and put in an offer which was accepted.  A new motor - with a porcupine head - would solve all my problems!    I transferred the money via PayPal but the next day I saw a new add on Elsinore-swap offering a new 76 elsinore motor for sale using one of same photos that was sent to me!
The email address of the. Seller is not the same as the PayPal record of payment and it just seems not right.  The seller has notified Elsinore swap of a 'scam' with the new add and has assured me all is well but it seems odd.  The seller has also not answered my direct questions regarding the email addresses .
The seller is Soua Vang in the US

I have registered a problem with PayPal

I have asked him for his personal details and new photos with readable metadata. The seller is in the USA.

What do you reckon?  Preservere or pull the plug

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: is this a scam?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:35 pm »
Its a tough one.  Obviously you want your engine.  But at the same time, you don't want to get scammed. Perhaps you rushed in a bit and should of asked for engine numbers, more pics etc.. sort of got a feel for the buyer.
Hopefully if it goes pear shaped, you will have PayPal buyer protection as it is an escrow service and both buyer and seller should be happy before money is released.

Cheers,
And good luck with the project..

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:51:39 am »
Watch for any delaying tactics. PayPal will be less interested in helping you the longer it takes.
Some scams relay on the "covered period" expiring. EG "we have to sea freight it."

I'd do what you have done. Register the issue with PayPal. Assume the worst and let the seller convince you otherwise.

Good luck.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:46 am »
there is no sea freight from the usa offered via usps all air

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:57:30 am »
there is no sea freight from the usa offered via usps all air

I was just using the sea freight claim as an example.
The thing to watch for is anything that takes the dispute beyond the period covered by PP/eBay.
I once lost some money "pre ordering" something that wasn't released. By the time it all went pear shaped, eBay were not interested.

I've bought heaps of stuff on eBay, and with PayPal. Very few issues, and have had money refunded, most recently when I was sent the wrong article. The seller became unresponsive. I got a refund from PP.

Again. Good luck.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:55 am »
I recall a guy in Bunbury (WA) having a convo with a guy in the US.. name seems familiar.. turns out he wasn't in the US but was in Korea or Indo or some other place.. the engine was completely misrepresented..yes it was a 125 Elsinore engine.. with a porky head , reed valve etc..hope it works out for you..

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »
If you paid as a gift via PayPal and it is a scam you have probably done your dough.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:12 pm »
Thanks Watto. The reference to Bunbury put me on a trail - I looked at the replies to his first add, checked those email addresses, googled the names in the addresses and one come up as being in Bunbury.  The circle closes!!!
Apparently the transaction has been cancelled by PayPal but I haven't seen anything from my end.  I think it will take a while before anything is actually resolved

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:59:51 am »
Update - PayPal refunded all my money.  Even though I was not as careful as I probably should have been, I picked up the signs of scamming and notified PayPal within a couple of days of my payment - and it still had not gone to the scammer.  PayPal froze the payment, sought further info and then refunded it to me without any problems at all.    Whewwww!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »
Result ! Good to know the system worked for you, mate.  8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »
Win