Author Topic: '74 KX450  (Read 11531 times)

Expat

'74 KX450
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »
Are there any '74 KX450's being raced competitively in Aus?

Just wondering if these things can run with the best open class Euros if set up properly.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: '74 KX450
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
there has been a couple raced up here in qld in the past
but not lately :'(
they are quite a good bike
just need a bit of setup on suspension
power wise they are ok :o
not as quick as a husky 400 or maico 400 ::)
different sort of power
more tractor like
but you can get them to go
brad lackey used to race one  8)
and he is no slouch 8)
most people just collect them now :'(
i have a 75 kx400 which i am going to race when i finish her ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
Expat,

They are a decent bike. Quite light & very torquey. A mate had one converted for a trailbike back in the day. I rode it back then & my memories are of the considerable torque & light weight (& average suspension). Porting is very mild. 400 (75-6) version revved higher & consequently made more top end.

Frame geometry is pretty good. Originally designed & built by C&J. But forks need lots of help - at least a PD valve/cartidge simulator. Or replace w something better. They're 34mm, but I don't recall any good 34mm forks of the day, tho some claimed the 34mm F11 forks were OK. Can ream out the triples & run 35mm betors, cerianis, CZ etc (or perhaps even suzuki/honda w a bit of revalving). My choice would be betor. (I'm an old bultaco man) That's what Lackey ran quite a bit.

Qld's top gun back in the day raced one of these & a 250 Maico for importer Brisk Sales & he won everywhere. I saw him at Bundaberg on them, & even against Greg Hansford on the YZ & Stan Veenstra on the "snore, he creamed them easily on a very testing track. Probably be easier to fing one of these than a Mk 7 360 Pursang.

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
The top gun you refer to in those days was Tom Gibson - used to ride a GYT kitted DTI before the Kawasakis - rode a 125 Kawasaki as well.  I had quite a few rides against him and Stan Veenstra (who's a good old Mackay product ) over the years.  Great fun!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
Mike,

It was actually John Walmsley. He was one of my heros (until he started selling & riding suzukis which I didn't like at the time).

I saw Tom racing a 100cc Kaw Centurion a couple of time in the early 70s & he was very quick on that at the time - it suited his small frame. I never saw him on a KX450. He worked for Brisk sales as I recall, & was more famous for his dirt-tracking, roadracing, & wearing the Qld # 1 plate for many years. A mate came 2nd to him when Tom was on a KX125 in the 125 state MX title one year (c 74?). Believe it or not my mate was on a CZ125! It was a v muddy day/track - the only way a CZ125 could have done that!

Anyway, JW certainly did some winning on the KX450 tho.

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »
A small number of KX450s have appeared spasmodically  in pre '75 over the last 20 years and are reasonably competitive. There weren't many sold back in '74 so they are comparitively rare when compared to othe Japanese makes. The forks were made by Hatta and as Kawboy alludes to, were dismal at best. Kawasaki based their early advertising pitch around the multi adjustability of these forks, trying to convince us that they were the ducks guts when in reality they were bloody hopeless. The multiple adjustability didn't make diddly difference, no matter what settings were used. Even the awful steel bodied DT1 Yamaha forks were better. However with the availability of pd valves and cartridge emulators from YSS or Gold Valve, I'm sure you could get them working OK.

On the track the 450 has a surprisingly soft bottom end, possibly due to the light 250 based flywheels but it comes on bigtime on the transition into mid and last right through the range. They turn pretty well for a 70s era Jap bike but do suffer from a reasonably scary bit of headshake on long straights. Overall, they are way off the Euro open class bikes of the era but were pretty good when compared to the Japanese opposition. The ergos are great. Brakes and wheels are first rate but the shocks are shit but have probably been replaced by now anyway.

Another problem with the 450 was parts supply. Because the bikes were in such a limited release back in '74, the parts supply was also limited in relation to the small bike numbers and have long since dried up. I recall that at one stage during the early nineties one racer had a worldwide search for a piston and failed to find one. That was in the days before eBay and the emergence of the many www based vintage parts suppliers so the situation may haveimproved since then.

I know it's purely a taste thing and doesn't mean much overall but the thing that puts me off are the KX450s the cobby looks highlighted by the horrible pea soup green plastic tank colour. Thankfully forum regular Leith Codrington (LWC3077) showed us how to get the tank looking spic'n'span in VMX #33.

I think that it was Jimmy Weinert that rode works Kawasaki 450s (see below). The bike shown is very different to the production model. I may be wrong but I think that Brad Lackey rode a works rotary valved 500 based on the 350 Bighorn engine in '71 or '72.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:53:59 PM by firko »

Expat

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

I will give a KX450 a go if anyone hears of one for sale.

MK 7 Pursang 360 is still being hunted ....

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
Kawboy, I stand corrected.  Put it down to old age & too much rough red.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
Thats OK Mike; didn't mean to embarrass you.

My memory ain't too hot on a lot of things, but I do remember things related to Kaws & Maicos cos I've been a fan of them ever since I saw Tom Gibson & John Walmsely racing them in the early 70s. Almost seems like yesterday.

Mark, the dreaded hatta forks were on the 350 bighorn, not the KX450. The KX450 forks were more like the F11 250's (tho not exactly the same) - they didn't have all that adjustment. But y're right - what a load of rubbish they were. I still can't believe that an engineer would put his name to them, or that Kaw would have bought it. Hatta was a disgrace to the engineering race in my opinion.  All that adjustability showed a fundamental misunderstanding of matters affecting steering, & the damping characteristics were a long way off too as I recall.

Last I heard pistons for 450s were nearly impossible to come by, but as Mark says they maybe more available on ebay.

Mark, where is that article on Weinerts 450 (above) taken from? I've seen the photo before, but I'd like to read the article.

firko

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
John...It was in the AMA magazine in Nov 2004. I haven't got a copy, I googled the photo.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
expat ive sent you the guys phone number with the 74 kx 450

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »
It would be great to see one of these circulating; what's your motivation?
It doesn't sound an ideal VMXer if you're out there to win, but for reliving an era on a rare-ish bike then it's gunna pull some stares.
There's not a lot of green going around, and certainly few of these. :'(
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »
I have only seen one in WA and that was extra quick - but then that may have been the maniac on board to!!!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
Expat,
I have a very good 74 KX450 that i would consider selling, I have some spares including nos piston & rod kit, 75 KX front end.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:14:32 PM by pigmy »