Author Topic: GT80  (Read 9436 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: GT80
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 07:07:13 pm »
Oops !!!!  :-[agreed  ;D but gee"s who would know................. ::) ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:33:54 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Broadsta

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »
Well worded Doc, & i'd probably hav 2 agree with u, on a big trak  with a coupla decent straights but i hav alot of faith in this bike (i've owned it 4 29 yrs)goin as far as sayin, it would  b the quickest gt80 in Aust. Tim, put a 5sp in it in 79  after realizing the dude i was racin (ds80) clicked the shift lever down instead of up on the start line, and yes the pic of the chair is of me  & Peter Honebone swinger at Sheparton 1980 state titles. The barrel n head head etc r definaetely pre 75 but the frames not as i snapped the down tube at Breakwater trak (geelong) & the old mans mate said he could fix it replacing it with a yz80 b frame.I've since replaced it with a mx80 frame.
Can i race the 125's?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:45 pm »
Yes. Sounds like you'd be racing in the pre-78 125s though, due to the 5-speed - but like others have said, if you entered the pre-75 125s, I doubt that anyone would make a song and dance about it. Maybe an issue if you went to a big meeting.
There's a list of eligible bikes for each era in the rule book. There's no minibikes in there, but I assume the list didn't include them because nobody expected anyone to want to race one. No matter - bikes not on the list can be raced if you can prove it is eligible.

How do you reckon you'd go on the rougher stuff against the full sized bikes?

Ah bugger that - if you own it and you love it, you should race it. Everyone's competitive streak comes out as the gate falls, but there's more to VMX than trying to win races.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Doc

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 10:07:58 am »
Broadsta, I'll overlook your 5 speed if you overlook my leading axle front end and 17" front wheel on my RM80 ;)

30 years ago this bike was delivered to me from Phil Thew Moto for the grand sum of $499.00 including a Stage3 Racing kidney belt and gloves..a bargain even back then! ;D never mind the JR in the foreground it's my most recent addition ::) 

Broadsta

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 10:23:55 pm »
G/day Nathan, did'nt no there was such a thing as a rough track in vmx although conondale was pretty rough on day 2 even on my evo bike. I agree its not all about winning, but if ur at the pointy end of the field i'm sure ur gonna try 4 the win. also u would'nt happen 2 have any gtmx80 parts kickstart yz80d, rear shox again yz80d would b good, seat lock, h/bars, thks mate.
Hey Doc, did,nt c a thing mate. Im pretty much a yamaha man (though ido own a bultaco) but u found my weakness ya bastard, thats 1 smik lookin rm would'nt b outa place in the lounge room

Doc

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 07:16:29 pm »
Thanks Broadsta, the little RM does look tidy but she's a ride bike like all the others. Restoring or semi-restoring bikes just to look at seems a bit of a waste and I firmly believe 'nothing' is above being ridden (thrashed)..my bikes aren't an investment I hope to retire on or anything..if it breaks it's just an oops..it's only mechanical so ya just rebuild it again..sure sounds like a lot more fun than just looking at it  ;D 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:19:07 pm by Doc »

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 07:54:58 pm »
compleatly right doc whats the use of having a bike your only going to look at im just finishing my complete nos restoration of a 250j and if its ready ill see you all at the next viper round  ;D
MUGEN power

Broadsta

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:53 pm »
Right back atcha Doc,tho i find it hard 2 believe that bikes ridden mate, its far 2 clean, or u'v got 2 much time on ur hands.  ;)

Doc

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 08:42:36 pm »
 :D given half a chance it would be ridden Broadsta, I'm lucky ride more than 2 or 3 times a year at best so maybe next year the little RM will get a turn ::) it goes well up and down the street but the neighbors have no appreciation for my vintage MXers. This pic was taken back in the day when I could actually ride it locally, the spot where this pic was taken is now under the Gateway Motorway at Nudgee  :'(

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:50:05 pm by Doc »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 01:41:08 pm »
I'd love to see some photos of that resto when you are finished Caps. ;)  All these photos of other guys restos keep me motivated to finish mine.  Rolling frame very very soon then not far to the end for the 250H. 8)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 04:16:02 pm »
I'd love to see some photos of that resto when you are finished Caps. ;) 8)

Don't think he has his camera back yet, when he does he's going to get some piccies of the RH  ;D

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 07:01:42 pm »
the rh is long gone now i got the camera back last friday i know must have gone to kazacstan or something just so 500fool doesent have to type another coment heres a pic of when i got the 250 j my 80j is in the back ive started reassembly the only thing i really need is a left hand fork leg please help someone
BEFORE

AFTER is on the way
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 07:06:31 pm »
She doesn't look too bad even as a "before".  Maybe quicky could take a few lessons from you on "starting points for restos "  :P :P :P  Mind you the 125H I'm working on isn't much better than Quickies TM :-[
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Broadsta

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:36 pm »
Cool pic Doc, check the protective gear out ,the helmets aclassic, didu hav the good ol rossi's as well. Heres a pic of me on a yz80d wearin pretty much the same gear, cept ithink i musta bin abit cooler than u Doc ihad the open face skiddy no peak but. When  i get the gt race ready mayb u could bring the rm 2 a bmc event 4 abit of classic suzuki v yamaha battle.

Hey 250h ,heres apic 4 abit of inspiration.
Caps ihav some pics of 80 & 125j's  & a 250k if there of any help.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:57:22 pm by Broadsta »

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 09:47:19 pm »
load em up then  ;)
MUGEN power