Author Topic: American visitor.  (Read 1691 times)

firko

American visitor.
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:13:51 pm »
As mentioned elsewhere, well respected American vintage racer Mike McCook raced at the Nepean Charity pre '75 meeting last Sunday. Mike was only in town for a few days break from some intense business negotiations in China. Taking my long standing invitation to visit here as an excuse to escape the Olympic madness for a few days he jumped at the opportunity to include a race meeting in his four day visit. Unfortunately my ever reliable old 350 Maicos clutch decided it didn't want to play on race day so it looked grim until Ray Atkins offered his granddaughter Kathleens trick ex Eddie Brooks TS250 Suzuki. Mike had never ridden dirt track in his life so it was purely a learning experience on an unfamiliar bike on an unfamiliar surface but he had a big smile all day long. He didn't figure in the results as expected but I reckon he had more fun than just about anyone else on the day.

We inducted him into Klub Kevlar at a BBQ at Jonesys on Saturday night over a shitload of local boutique beers (Pikes from South Australia being a new favourite for me and dear old Tooheys for him!) and Aussie lamb chops and Pavlova. We in turn discovered the joys of Absolut Vodka straight.

Mike is a hard worker for vintage motocross in the Pennsylvania/New York area of the US and races a string of nicely prepped pre'78 and Evo Yamahas in AHRMA nationals and local events. He has one of the more interesting vintage MX websites on the 'net which features columns and features by myself and fellow Aussie PJ Read. Mike has announced that he'll be back for CD6 next year and may possibly bring his good mate Siege (the t shirt guy)from Washington. www.mccookracing.com

The best thing about this vintage thing that we're all a part of is that the VMX world has no borders. How many of us have friends and contacts in the USA or Europe that we've met through our common bond of loving old bikes?

[/b

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: American visitor.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:36 pm »
... may possibly bring his good mate Siege (the t shirt guy)from Washington. www.mccookracing.com

The best thing about this vintage thing that we're all a part of is that the VMX world has no borders. How many of us have friends and contacts in the USA or Europe that we've met through our common bond of loving old bikes?

Nice story Firko; I think it's great when this sort of thing happens - flying into a foreign Country and being lent a bike to race, BBQs and friends etc. It's quite a community.
I reckon Siege would sell a shit load of his t.shirts if he could bring some with him.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Yamaboy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:58:30 pm »
It was a pleasure to meet Mike at Jonesys BBQ on Saturday night and again at Nepean. He seemed to enjoy everything thrown at him although it took him a while to come to grips with our self depracating humour (calling each other stupid c#*ts and the like as a sign of affection etc ???). His quiet exterior hid a wicked sense of humour. He'll have a great time at CD6. 

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:39 pm »
Here's Mike McCooks favourite race bike. It's a trick YZ250 c fitted with an MX 175B tank to clear the D model triple clamps. According to McCook, the bike's fast and handles great.