Author Topic: Licence fees  (Read 31673 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Licence fees
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:51:17 pm »
At risk of opening a hornets nest I have to say that the news that a one day license is now going to cost $90 is surely going to restrict entries at some meetings.

I see that MA has a restricted senior license that can be used for fast fifties etc.
A Senior Restricted Licence entitles you to compete in any Moto Trials, Mini Moto and Fast 50s event permitted by Motorcycling Australia or an SCB.

Fast fifties look ergonomically restrictive to me yet they still scoot around the tracks plenty fast so I don't see why this license can't be used for classic MX as well

Post classic would be debatable as they stretch into post 90 models but maybe a push needs to be made to MA to accept classic MX bikes (Pre 78) into the senior restricted licence?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Licence fees
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:01 am »
There is already much discussion on this on plenty of other forums, here's how I see it:
Obviously MA is attempting to encourage riders to purchase a full National license which makes sense for most out there who race or want to. Over the years of being involved in a vmx club at committee level, I have watched many riders pay for 5, 6 & seven one day licenses in a row (after the 2 only rule was changed & as far back when they were as low as $30) which equates to more than a national license would have cost. Those guys are also restricted to that one event the license is valid for, rather than being able to ride any event, anywhere in Australia with a National license.That does not make sense to me. None of us like paying for stuff we can't see or "afford", however just like power, water, car insurance etc, we HAVE to. A race license is a necessity if you want to race your motorcycle & should be included in your "racing" budget. I see plenty of people spending $300-$500 on custom decals kits & seat covers (not necessary to go racing) but bleet till their lungs bleed about the cost of a National license which is a necessity. It may mean missing out on a few slabs of beer or a carton of stogies, but do you want to race or not? One day race licenses are cost prohibitive for all but those who really only want to do one or two competition events (not many) & the non-competition events fall under the way cheaper recreation license. It's a pretty simple decision IMO, buy a National license & go race, or don't.
K

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 11:32:01 am »
This is dreadful news.
Personally I agree with bigk's philosophy FOR MYSELF.
But.
I'm often trying to encourage others to come to events.
I got a work colleague to attend "Classic Dirt" 2016.
He hadn't ridden his old dirt bike for years. I was slightly embarrassed to tell him that on top of entries, he'd have to pay for a "Licence" (we both knew his riding total riding time was going to be measured in minutes rather hours) I'm glad the Licence fee wasn't $90.

Another example is dragging mates to organized trail rides like the excellent "Sunny Corner" ride.
Many guys don't have fancy graphics or spare cash, and when I suggest they come to an event, every cent counts, as they are comparing the cost with either free riding with their friends or satying home.

It's going to stop casual/ new riders participating. Not ideal!

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
What if you are a social rider and can't be bothered with a $ 5-00 cup at end of days racing and just want to do practice days .....
We have a Moto park up here in QLD called QMP which is run By MQ which is affiliated with MA..... there is no $90-00 day license involved here  ..... no flaggies ... no ambulance .... and SFA supervision.
I don't get it.
Seems to me the rule makers have it all wrong.

http://www.qldmotopark.com.au/Pricing
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:10:42 pm by Oldfart »

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 12:46:44 pm »
What if you are a social rider and can't be bothered with a $ 5-00 cup at end of days racing and just want to do practice days .....
We have a Moto park up here in QLD called QMP which is run By MQ which is affiliated with MA..... there is no $90-00 day license involved here  ..... no flaggies ... no ambulance .... and SFA supervision.
I don't get it.

With regards to QMP, there is a fee for a Single use Recreation Licence (SURL), I think because it is done on line and they sell so many (for QMP) it is about $20.00, but there is a licence fee. There is also an annual Rec Licence that if you ride more than 10 times a year is cheaper.  Also please stop calling them one day licences, they are One Meeting (not one event) and single use rec licence.  Why is it not one day. Simple if a Club Day went over two days on the same permit or like Classic Dirt over more than one day, you only need one licence.  In the GCRs an event is one race or class.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:53:29 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:57:40 pm »
Well I "think" I have just obtained my annual licence after much internet gymnastics with the ma.org.au website taking me in ever increasing circles to nowhere, then thanks to oz555ktm, I was directed to the MNSW website. I'll wait for some form of confirmation before saying too much though.

I agree that this increase will limit new members who just want to "test the water" like my friend Pete who made the "My first Vinduro" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyjay8FS_q4&t=3s) video, it would have been much harder to convince him to have a go with this pricing structure.

I doubt it will deter any current members, as said earlier, it is considered part of the cost of participating in the sport either in a competitive or non competitive capacity, but when you have someone showing an interest in participating, this could be an extra objection.

I would have thought that the organising body would be trying to encourage new members, this seems an odd way to go about it.
Tony.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 01:03:52 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong, but aren't a lot of Vinduros non competition and therefore could be run under a trail ride or recreational permit.

If so a first time rider can use a Single Use Rec Licence (SURL) which cost $30.00.  If not create a non competition class for beginners etc.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:09:16 pm »
While I understand everyone's concerns.  Just talking about it on a forum (or Facebook) won't get back to MA.  Get your club to write (email) MA and ask for an explanation for the increase to the One Meeting Licences (OML).  Make it a reasonable letter without ranting and raving.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 01:34:50 pm »
This is who owns QMP, and I would suspect the councils have asked the fees to remain low  for a  Good reason .
 WHO OWNS QUEENSLAND MOTO PARK? The land is owned by the Queensland Government. The park infrastructure has been paid for by the Queensland Government, the South-East Queensland Council of Mayors and Motorcycling Queensland. Motorcycling Queensland is the operator of the park.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:02 pm »
I don't get it.

QMP is a practice venue run under a practice permit (recreational event), very different to a race day (Competition permit).

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
nsw vinduro's are run on private land and require ma licence..pls correct me if im wrong.

vic vinduro's are run on public land requiring registered bikes and are covered by vicroads law/insurance

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:53 pm »
While I understand everyone's concerns.  Just talking about it on a forum (or Facebook) won't get back to MA.  Get your club to write (email) MA and ask for an explanation for the increase to the One Meeting Licences (OML).  Make it a reasonable letter without ranting and raving.

Yes true, but at times it's good to sound things out with others first.

If you ride many times a year then obviously an annual license is better value
Comparing costs to trailriding is not the same as racing in an event is whole different experience, your either into it or your not.

CD and non competitive Vinduros don't come into the equation either as they run with a recreational license which now costs $30 for a one event License (got it right that time Kev ;D)
and a annual Rec. license isn't that extreme.

But for those that are part time racers that only ride 2 or 3 events a year are going to find it hard, these guys will probably be up for club membership at the first event for the year plus entry fee plus $90 license before they get into fuel/food etc.
This will make for an expensive weekend for the casual racer.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:24:54 pm by GMC »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 05:07:28 pm »
nsw vinduro's are run on private land and require ma licence..pls correct me if im wrong.

vic vinduro's are run on public land requiring registered bikes and are covered by vicroads law/insurance

To my knowledge the NSW events will require a one event rec license for $30

Vic events may be changing as guidelines are changing so a Rec license may be needed as well in future - stay tuned

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 05:29:12 pm »
I know people say you should factor it in, but what do you actually get for a one day race licence or a season one besides the bill.
I know at VERI Vinduro events for a REC licence or Classic Reg I am covered by TAC its a no brainer.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
wheres Dennis when you need him :),VTR events (NSW) have event licences,(we still like to call them day licences,old habits  ;)),but usually recommend after a couple events if you like  the/our vinduro scene go with the recreational 12months licence,(if it hasn't got dearer??),it's more cost effective,was $90 last year,after couple $30 weekend licences bingo,looking good,online too,cheers  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:35:08 pm by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!