Author Topic: Ray Ryan  (Read 6887 times)

firko

Re: Ray Ryan
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 09:57:41 am »
I reckon GE would have loved the Classic Dirt concept. Although his head was in the modern bike world his heart was most certainly in love with the history, bikes and cameraderie surrounding the vintage movement. I remember having a conversation with him over a schooner in Condoblin Bowling Club during his only appearance at Condo where he reckoned the party aspect of vintage racing was the main thing that made vintage so appealing. He reckoned that the two and three day festival style event which Condo pioneered was the best fun you could have on any dirt bike and that the concept would grow beyond comprehension. He was so right. What a tragedy he died before the next Condo and before his old mate Ray Ryan developed the Classic Dirt concept.
We also had a drink for GE at CD6 and all acknowledged that he would have been in his element at Conondale.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:14:16 am by firko »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:50:36 am »
A little off-topic here.  I agree that the CD style events are brilliant concepts. They bring home that vintage MX isn't just about riding old dirtbikes and pretending to be young again (although that does have its appeal!). It's much broader than that - it's the history, the memorobilia, the thrill of the chase when restoring an old bike, it's the people, the fun times, the camaraderie, the racing, the good times, the whole vibe. It's not modern racing, but it's got just as much appeal, if not more.

People like GE and Ray would be very happy with where it's all at and I reckon would be still right behind the whole thing.

Which is why I am often surprised by Jody Weisel's take on it. Given his editorial and even MXA itself has developed a real flavour of celebrating the past (actually some of his editorials are bordering on cranky old man syndrome  :D ), you'd think he'd have some empathy for vintage motocross. But nope, he often takes a swipe at it. The editorial in the latest issue (August I think - I subscribe online) is like that, he makes out that vintage motocorss is for sad people who want to live in the past and don't appreciate modern technology. I think he's missed the point.

I reckon GE could set him straight...

firko

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 12:10:53 pm »
Graeme, I reckon Jody is definitely missing the point. At an early Dick Mann Vintage Rally in around 1990 Weisel and then Dirt Bike Editor Tim Tolsen turned up with a couple of roach bikes....Jody an old VR Monty that had been to hell and back and Tolsen on an MX360 Yamaha with leopard skin upholstery and streamers on the end of the bars. They were dressed in stupid ill fitting "moto jeans' and old work boots and wore peakless bell Magnums in an attempt to look like hillbillys. I watched the pair of them go out in the wrong races, cut the course and try and take each other out including trying to t bone each other. They tried to destroy those poor bikes and took the piss out of everything to do with the event. When a couple of blokes told them that they were acting like knobs they started laughing at them calling them sad old has beens and such. They both subsequently wrote tongue in cheek 'taking the piss' articles about their day at a vintage race. It's a shame, that day Tolsen was actually pretty fast and I suspect he was having a bit of fun but Weisels smarmy attitude overcame everything in the end. I remember that Dick Mann was really pissed off with them for taking the piss at something he took so seriously. I too was pissed of and I've never bought MXA again. Many American dirt bike guys think Weisels a bit of a tosser and I suspect they're pretty right.

PS..It was cool sharing a meal with you and Gezza at Ballina on the way to CD6.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 10:49:45 am »
Jody Weisel may not have much of an opinion on Vintage MX bikes, but it appears he can't ignore that fact that they can sell magazines - based on the recent sudden influx of "retro" articles and bikes in MXA.

Let's face it, he's always been a bit out there, so I don't worry too much about what he says or does.

There are many other people in the core of the US MX scene that have vintage as a soft spot in their hearts and sometimes go way beyond what is rational (from a financial point of view) to help the history of the sport be remembered and celebrated.  There is, for example, a display which is being held at each of the current US National MX rounds called "Legends and Heros".  As part of that deal, some of the Legend Riders are turning up at the Nationals near them and manning the display as well as signing autographs etc...which is really cool.

As for Ray and GE, I am pretty sure both would have loved to be at CD6 and seen what a Vintage celebration can really be.  It is a honour and a priviledge to be involved in maintaining their legacy in Aussie VMX.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »
Another year has passed. I wonder what he is up to…?

Godspeed Mondo!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »
Ray. What can one say, miss you dosn't seem enough . love to Barb Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »
Yes, another year...  where do they all go. 

This is of course 7 years since Ray's passing and the next issue of VMX will be slightly unusual in that it will be the first issue where we will have published more issues of VMX than Ray did.

Regardless of that fact, we are still very mindful of his guiding principles for VMX Magazine when we are putting it together.  Hopefully the continuance of the magazine in this manner is at least a small part of maintaining his legacy.

Godspeed Ray.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:35 pm »
Ajay , I think Ray would be happy with the work you boys have done .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »
Ray was a great journo and a great visionary but above all he was a bloody good bloke. I still miss the bugger and think of him every day. Ray looks down on me from the wall over my desk where there's a framed Bill Forsyth portrait of a smiling Ray leaning nonchalantly against an old oak tree alongside Les Archers famous old Manx Norton motocrosser. Whenever my mojo's not performing at its best, a quick look up at Ray and I'm reminded why I still do what I do.

Congratulations also to Ken, Alistair, Jeff and everyone who's contributed to maintaining VMX magazines position as the classiest mag dedicated to our sport on the planet. By adding your own distinct style and vision to Ray's creation, VMX magazine can move positively forward for the next 47 issues and beyond 8).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:31:54 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
yep well done Ray would be pleased
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »
Hey, thanks everyone.  It is still an honour to keep Ray's pride and joy alive.  ;)