Author Topic: Ebay Second Hand Search frustration  (Read 9061 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Ebay Second Hand Search frustration
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:38:07 am »
Is it just me or my settings or is Fleebay OZ totally forked up >:(, I am searching for used parts, put in the description & it only shows me new stuff ???, when I click on options there is no used option only new :(, I recall someone saying they were trying to move the second hand stuff to Gumtree & only have new stuff on there, is this the start of it happening :-\, I have noticed it does not happen all the time, sometimes I get both but it seems to be getting worse & it's piercing me right orf :( >:( :( >:( :'(

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay Second Hand Search frustration
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:49:36 am »
Yep, it's getting worse. I don't know how a set of skull shaped mirrors belong on (insert your dirtbike search) a TT yamaha but apparently I need them.

It is a pain searching through all the shite to find anything useable now. It seems all the good stuff has disappeared into the hoarders dens.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:51:07 am »
I notice that the search is a pia as well. have to go general, find something close then work back to that category...easier to watch utube now

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:02:26 am »
Yep, it's getting worse. I don't know how a set of skull shaped mirrors belong on (insert your dirtbike search) a TT yamaha but apparently I need them.

It is a pain searching through all the shite to find anything useable now. It seems all the good stuff has disappeared into the hoarders dens.

What TT stuff are you after Mark?

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:03:50 am »
So it ain't just me then ;), I have given up at the Mo, frustrated as fork ???

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 11:21:21 am »
It is like flea markets all over again, remember when you could find a useful used item at a bargain price (or sell an item you have no use for) at a local flea market?

Then vendors started turning up with cheap watches and other gaudy plastic crap like water pistols and other knock off items and before long that was all that was there - pot plants and plastic shite.

Killed it, now EBAY is going the same way. Like you said, type in RM125 and you get 25 pages of chinese handgrips that would look ok on a Harley or LED lights and plastic chrome wing mirrors (with or without the skull motif).

EG;  Clip on Handlebar kit (fits 1979  RM125) $9.99 INC FREE SHIPPING FROM HONG KONG

Really?
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

saint

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 11:44:27 am »
If you go into the advanced tab, you can list words to exclude.
So it might narrow things down somewhat?
"mirror" "grip" "led"
I had a favourite search that would always bring up fridge magnets, so just put "magnet" in the field, problem solved.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »
Gumtree messes with my head too >:(, takes ages to load the whole page when browsing,even worse when you click on a particular thing then want to go back ;)

Was searching  "Honda" the other day, reverted straight to Cars & excluded bike stuff, tried it numerous times,still did it, Fooooooork!! >:( :(

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
The ebay/gumtree team certainly seem to have the reverse-Midas touch...

Both websites are highly valuable tools for us punters, despite the best efforts of their custodians.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
Yeah it's a pain and its because of how the seller lists the item and what key words they use. Some even use invisible words but your browser knows they are there. Gumtree dont have many servers so its slow but its free so cant whinge. While ever ebay get paid by the seller they wont care how crappy the search results are. I note there is now sfa pickings on that place and I think its because its too expensive and buyers are sick of chinese pitbikrs and pretty hand levers. The real goodies are never listed on mainstream sites.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »
I find you are usually best to change where it says sort by on the right hand side of the page from best match to distance nearest first and you can put your post code in save you looking at most generic over seas stuff.
1971 tm400 and PE's

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:39 am »

I'd like to find a good pair of the YDIS carbs. My carb bodies are fine, but the diaphragm (CV) slide is rooted and the butterfly shaft is worn.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:21 am »
The ebay/gumtree team certainly seem to have the reverse-Midas touch...

Both websites are highly valuable tools for us punters, despite the best efforts of their custodians.

It seems the ebay team have gone mad in an effort to prove to the bosses that they have something to fix everyday. They forgot all about the KISS principle that they started with.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:18:56 am »

I'd like to find a good pair of the YDIS carbs. My carb bodies are fine, but the diaphragm (CV) slide is rooted and the butterfly shaft is worn.
  I will keep a look out mate ;) What CC are we talking? :)

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 02:01:56 pm »
It's a 350 Chris. i appreciate your help. Cheers