Author Topic: Who can get dents out of my expansion chamber  (Read 8814 times)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Who can get dents out of my expansion chamber
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 06:04:54 pm »
when testing Industrial hoses for pressure only a fool would use compressed air. if an end lets go or the hose fails , Air goes off like a bomb so Air is not used to test. Water and ONLY water is used as if there is a failure as above, you will get wet and thats all. Water being a liquid absorbs the energy and releases it in a more linear way.

Think about your safety and the safety of everyone in the block as Ive seen just how far a projectile can travel when an oversize air rifle goes off without warning.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:21 pm »
I have seen a 5 tonne carbon vessel let go at only 5 psi - not pretty.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »
olmate had an "apprentice" undo a 3" bung that had 850 cfm at 1000psi up its clacker...it travelled 250 metres dead level and cracked a concrete wall on the local post office. just clipped ol mates apprentices left ear...luckiest man alive... the bang was nothing short of sensational.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:09 am »
This one is for Kev

Mate - when it blew up could it have been the presence of oil inside the chamber (just wonder if it was the air at 35 psi or an actual explosion of gases released from the burning oil along with enough air to support ignition at the hot spot of the oxy heated spot ? That aspect has always worried me even though so many have done it OK.

Sorry to hear of the injury - that would have hurt like F !

Dave Mac ?
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

HeavenVMX

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 12:18:12 pm »
when testing Industrial hoses for pressure only a fool would use compressed air. if an end lets go or the hose fails , Air goes off like a bomb so Air is not used to test. Water and ONLY water is used as if there is a failure as above, you will get wet and thats all. Water being a liquid absorbs the energy and releases it in a more linear way.

Think about your safety and the safety of everyone in the block as Ive seen just how far a projectile can travel when an oversize air rifle goes off without warning.
The reason water is used is that being non compressible it stores very little energy to build the necessary test pressure. Using compressed air the amount of energy stored is much much larger, as the air compresses it stores energy as you build pressure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:24:14 pm by HeavenVMX »