Author Topic: Open Class XR race development and advise  (Read 40115 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Open Class XR race development and advise
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:14 pm »
I rode the XR350R Much easier to ride and heaps less fatiguing, but compared to the power and torque of the 500 the 350 feels no more powerful than a postie bike.

Surely the first step is to fit a better motor?

I feel the engine in my 500 is the best part. Thats why I love it so much, that and the amazing front brake.
What is it that turns you off the Engine? apart from pain in the arse starting ritual and weight.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 10:25:20 pm »
I know Ballards used to be the place for XR spares and go gear,,,but, I now know he no longer has big fin heads.
I cannot find any XR stuff on his web-site either ???

This site in the US seems to have heaps of XR stuff, they also copy the Ballards big fin head if you send them yours to do it with
Click on Pic for LINK

Offline bruce g

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 12:55:03 am »
Hey Mick
XRs only did the big fin head on my xr200 for me a couple of years ago you can see it in the pics
spent a lot of time looking for XR race bits for my 200 2 valve
also got mega cycle cams to do a roller cam for it
so with a oil cooler and bigger fin head to keep it from over heating and the roller cam and a rerouted oil supply to the head direct
this Xr should hold together also running a beefier barnett clutch and a selectra inner rotor duel map digital ignition i made to trigger of the crank
so no massive flywheel now

Offline mic

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 07:30:33 am »
hey 80-85 husky....

howd ya at CD12?

-mick
-toe -
74 XR75 - 75 CR125M1 - 84 XR500 x 2 - 79 CR250 x 2

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 08:29:50 am »
The big fin head was not Ballards idea originally. They were a HRC item.
I am pretty sure Ballards stopped specializing in XR's years ago because around 2005 i contacted them about getting their 'special repair' done on a cracked 84 XL250 head and they said they no longer do that stuff and referred me onto someone else.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:44:05 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 09:03:56 am »
ive ridden plenty of 500 and 600's over the years and the biggest beef with the 500's i found was the "ride it like a 125" in the tight stuff and on hills due to the big power pulses and 10 metres between firing strokes. we rode tight single lane and snotty rocky hills and a 200 / 250 twoie made that so much easier. ive called the rc and d 500's the "best looking disappointment" in the past. Geoff Eldridge of ADB fame had one in the lounge and loved looking at it but wouldn't ride one.
Open things up and that engine was superb although the weight distribution on the 500 was a little rear biased and you couldn't afford to let the back get out of whack other wise it took over and punted you into the scrub so whoopee desert stuff had to be approached with a bit of caution. a mate of mine was a top aussie safari rider for Honda and he had a 500 rc for vintage racing and he got talked into a warm cam etc but he had so much trouble trying to get it to run smooth, he ditched it for std. he rides fast! his beef was the rear shocker was not up to his speed.
ive also heard as above the clutch is weak and slips in top gear a lot.

on a thread Hijack (Sorry Mick d) had a ball at CD, excelled at drinking beer and bullsh@tting on Friday, rode like an old hungover fat bald guy for the rest of the weekend. won a Yamaha back pack at the trivia. my riding was an embarrassment, I couldn't ride out of sight on a dark nite. check out the clips on the "riders in the scrub" channel on yootube. sad :(

back to XR's. as commented above, cooling is #1, clutch #2 and #3shocker ..go to it.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:33:02 am »
Ah Mick... Everyone has their blind spots - the XR500/600 is obviously yours!

They were, and still are, a good thing. But there's a bit of a mythology building up about these old buses, where their shortcomings are overlooked or forgotten...

Let's see:
Desperately in need of real springs in both forks and shock (but particularly the forks);
Weak footpeg mounts;
Weak third gear;
Stators that die in the heat;
Weak drum rear hubs;
Shitty twin carbs (before 1988);
Hard starting;
Lots of weight, most of it too high;
Pegs too wide and too low and drag through ruts that a dirt bike should be able to ride straight through*.
At least the 600's swingarm is not ridiculously short like the 250's is.

Like 500 MX bikes, there's a lot of things to love about the XR600, but they stopped making them for a reason!

*Back when XRs were everywhere, I could ride my 125 enduro bike through 99% of ruts with my pegs 2 or 3" above the top of the rut. Those that were deeper, were usually wide enough that the tips of my pegs would barely touch the side wall of the rut.
Most ruts had been bulldozed out by the hoardes of XRs, with their low, wide engine cradles particularly when the average rider would use up half the suspension travel just by sitting on the thing... :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:50 am »
Also: I've seen that the effectiveness of the big fin head mod has been disputed.
Be worth doing some research before spending the money.

Ballard sold the XRs Only part of his business to one of his (ex?) employees a while back. No idea if it is still going.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:48 pm »
just stepping back and reviewing the thread Mick, the first question we should have asked is...what is the aim of your project?? are you a thumping hot Vmxer looking to take it up to the evo boys? or is just Vinduro style riding? these two questions have a huge difference in answers.

there is plenty of pooh poohing going on but its just a bit of a laugh by the resident clowns (I like ts 125 Suzuki's as well) but if you like the bikes that's fine and there is probably some good knowledge here to get to a starting plan.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »
Mickey d ,
Step over to this site plenty of honda loving going on here
( Xr500 only )   They aren't that bad , if a stock tt500 can kick arse then a xr500 will kick more .
trust me I have one , it's a project on the table.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:15:19 pm by mick25 »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 03:35:15 pm »
There is only one bloke that you should be talking to about XR development. The same guy who did Ballards and GHR XR's
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 06:30:38 pm »
Looking at two separate bikes XR500RE(projects). I have them, one is a goer the other is complete in one piece, but in need of a overhaul.
To do one as a vintage adventure/tourer.
Another completely stripped, lightened as far as possible and improved to race in the four stroke Heaven class and to use at some Vinduros as well. Naturally I would hope to have a second different bike(spare) with me at vinduros in case the venue was not suitable for a big thumper.

I am not worried or offended in the slightest by the opinions of others, I welcome their opinions and criticisms.
Grateful of the input. Sometimes ideas are born out of simply "why not".

So far there is a lot that are completely wrong thou, take this next one for instance.

they stopped making them for a reason!

The XR600R chassis is still being manufactured to this very day Nathan. It is now called an XR650L.
Yes it has been fitted the 1987 NX650 Dominator electric button engine, but don't forget they are basically the same cases as the XR600 castings, just machined different in a couple of areas.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:15:33 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 06:37:04 pm »
Yes their import to Australia stopped in 2008 but still in manufacture and still being sold elsewhere.

And still the XR600R chassis with disk rear and still the same basic engine.

So, how many other vintage chassis/ bikes are still in production over thirty years latter?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:46:02 pm by Mick D »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:41 pm »
So, how many other vintage chassis/ bikes are still in production over thirty years latter?

Ts185 & TF125 ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »

Ts185 & TF125 ;)

No,,,,,I really don't think that is the case.
Not listed as available in any international dealer sites.

I read years ago where production went to Mexico for a while, but I also seem to recolect where production of the mighty little ER185 was wrapped up?

Wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken thou,
Got any proof?