Author Topic: KTM 495 - 1984 - Quick Build Thread  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Blackjack

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
KTM 495 - 1984 - Quick Build Thread
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
Plan - build a Classic Dirt Track bike for the ACT longtrack Masters June 26 2016 held by ACTMCC.

Picked up a 1984 495 from oz555ktm - Bones were all there just needed some TLC and Piecing back together.

Frame was powdercoated original KTM Orange, had new repro plastics but tank was pretty shabby and badges were missing

Sent the tank off to Second Chance Plastic Revival in Goulburn - Shane did a great job on polishing up the tank. I polish a LOT of aluminium/metal but plastic I haven't had the best success. I picked up some badges off Ebay in the US to complete the look.
Mick at VMX Re-Creations tool care of the seat and I gave the triples and swingarm a polish while I was waiting on parts.

Motor was shipped off to LBR for a tear down and inspection, and fix a few known issues with this model.  The motor was in great condition and needed very little work. These guys are awesome and really know these KTMs inside and out.
Brad gave the Ports a bit of a touch up and Darryl set to making a pipe to suit.
The 84 lo-comp head is a pretty pooor design so it was sent off to TSP to be rehaped and squish set.
Dave Mac (Vapourblasting) gave the Wheels and hubs a clean up

It all got thrown together pretty quickly for a run at the first Dirt track meeting of 2016 at Canberra. Totally untested we wern't doing to bad for a first hit out - Suspension and tuning needed more work and then a bit of bad luck put us out of the meeting.

While I was recuperating -  Ringmaster images created some period correct graphics and the trick looking LBR pipe arrived. Mountain Race Shop sorted the suspension with a much stiffer rear spring and still chasing some stiffer fork springs.

Final product - I am stoked with how it has finished up and keen to get it back on the track. Thanks to everyone who helped out. I am sure I probably forgot to mention somone, but if I did not on purpose.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 495 - 1984 - Quick Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:51:55 pm »
Sheesh you made that look like it all came together quick! Great results mate.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:17 pm »
love it..............i have always loved those white era Kato's
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline oz555ktm

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:07 pm »
Danny has done well this bike sat in the  shed since 1999 waiting for me to do something ..

Hear is some photo of Danny at A.C.T Mcc dirt track 

URL=http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/oz555ktm/media/red%20green%20yellow%20white.jpg.html][/URL]

And Please forgive me as I cant Spell for Shit ...
And I have very Bad Gramer ...too I been told ......

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:14:17 pm »
Nice bike well done....

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:27:12 pm »
Ok - he has run it in - time to move it on :)
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Blackjack

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:11 pm »
Thanks for the pics Dennis. It was great having you around to help out at that meeting. Turns out the pilot jet was badly blocked and why it was running so crappy off the bottom. Definately running cleaner now.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:59 am »
What a great job and such a nice machine,love the shot of the rear suspension squatting and hooking up.