Author Topic: Riding around Perth  (Read 2278 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Riding around Perth
« on: June 08, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
I know this is not strictly vintage but there are quite a few people on here from WA so here goes.
My wife wants to move back to WA (Perth general area) in a year or two when we plan to retire. I on the other hand would prefer the Sunshine Coast area.

To be fair I’d like people’s opinions on riding in WA. Are there places to ride off road, mainly trailriding, legally also VMX and Vinduro?
Is registration required?
What sort of penalties apply?
Is there anywhere around Perth that isn’t sand?
What areas are near riding areas?
Organised trail rides?
Ride parks?

Overall I want to stay involved with vintage bikes and coming from “No vintage Darwin” anything is an improvement.
I’ve pretty much given VMX racing away but like the look of Vinduros and have a suitable bike on the way. I’d even consider some VMX riding again as the way I ride an enduro bike won’t be a handicap.

Thanks in advance

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Riding around Perth
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »
Hi Brent,
On the racing scene we have VMXWA (pre75) in Narrogin 190kms from Perth, Classic MXWA (pre 95) in Darkan same area roughly and Vinduro WA holds a few events around the southwest, Narrogin and Darkan are clay/gravel surfaces and fun tracks to ride. We also hold a few Natural Terrains through the year, check out the relevant clubs.
Plenty of Legal trail riding for registered enduro/trail bikes around the Harvey/southwest area  and a couple of places north of the river if you have offroad rego. Depends on where you ride but a good mix of sand and lots of hard pack and gravel 50/50 of our mx tracks are hard pack or sand.
We have 3 offroad ride parks all within 2hrs of Perth and there are a few organized trail rides like the Adventure Rally etc, hope this help with you decision.
Cheers
Micko

RM370A RM250A RM125A RM125S YZ250A YZ125C XR75K4

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
and to add - most of the VMX tracks are non sandy and easy on the bod.  VMXWA doesn't ride for points but just for fun so right up your alley.  Vinduro just getting off the ground and a more enthusiastic bunch of guys you won't meet.  Classic as Micko says caters to pre 95 and there is a new flat track club starting up also.  Plenty to do and a very vibrant community around Perth - lots of help available if needed.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Adding to that info... your always welcome to come and try before you buy :)  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:22:13 PM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!