Author Topic: Tyre fitting  (Read 13480 times)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre fitting
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:43 pm »
Two rim locks and a rock hard old tire make it more difficult for sure!
I recently experienced this fitting a new tire on a friends '81 IT175.

Still managed it without tears. :P

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »
Along with using a good heavy "tire fitters"rubber mallet, tire fitting lube that I bought from my local tire joint, and a good strong pair of work boots with a sharp heel, the handiest thing that I have for fitting tires at home is this;

I made this wooden frame sometime last century. It allows the wheel to sit flat and not rock around while working the tire on/off the rim. The next most handy thing is a set of knee pads, as the knees are knackered and don't take kindly to kneeling on the ground for long periods.

I haven't had to change any tires during competition for many years, I used to be able to do both wheels on my 1978 390 AMX in under 6 minutes in "Parc Ferma conditions" when it was in 4 Day trim, but it has turned rims. Best time ever for a bike with std rims and rim locks was both wheels on a Yamaha TT250 in under 5 minutes during the Dunlop Tire Challenge at the Royal Adelaide Show back in 1986. I was working for a Honda dealer at the time, but the local Yamaha dealer let me borrow a TT250 for a day so I could practice on the bike to be used in the competition and work out a system for getting the wheels out and back in quickly.
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:54 pm »
Along with using a good heavy "tire fitters"rubber mallet, tire fitting lube that I bought from my local tire joint, and a good strong pair of work boots with a sharp heel, the handiest thing that I have for fitting tires at home is this;

I made this wooden frame sometime last century. It allows the wheel to sit flat and not rock around while working the tire on/off the rim. The next most handy thing is a set of knee pads, as the knees are knackered and don't take kindly to kneeling on the ground for long periods.

I haven't had to change any tires during competition for many years, I used to be able to do both wheels on my 1978 390 AMX in under 6 minutes in "Parc Ferma conditions" when it was in 4 Day trim, but it has turned rims. Best time ever for a bike with std rims and rim locks was both wheels on a Yamaha TT250 in under 5 minutes during the Dunlop Tire Challenge at the Royal Adelaide Show back in 1986. I was working for a Honda dealer at the time, but the local Yamaha dealer let me borrow a TT250 for a day so I could practice on the bike to be used in the competition and work out a system for getting the wheels out and back in quickly.
Luv it beats the hell out of an old tyre ( I use a hard tyre)  :-[ 
Im gunna copy your frame! thanks ;)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 06:41:29 pm »
I use two locks if I am going to a particular greasy event like the old devils pinch enduro. hit a log in the grass and punctured both tyres in the first section and rode the entire event on flat tyres. great traction. was fine

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »
The videos in this series are still the best i have seen for tyre changing tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 07:52:29 pm »
The videos in this series are still the best i have seen for tyre changing tips.

I agree, that's why I put them up a few posts back (well tried any way)

Stands:

I like my waist height stand like Dougs (in the video)
The ground level one sold at Ballards with the lever built in is handy for breaking beads. Especially Supermoto tires.
A steel trash bin with split hose around the edge is another option.
I have an impressive "no mar" tire changer now, but am yet to bolt it down. A bit over kill for dirt bike tires.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »

Stands:

The ground level one sold at Ballards with the lever built in is handy for breaking beads. Especially Supermoto tires.
I have an impressive "no mar" tire changer now, but am yet to bolt it down. A bit over kill for dirt bike tires.

Woops, I shouldn't have skipped to the 2nd page of the thread!!  I've watched these vids a few times over the years. I almost have it committed to memory.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 09:56:39 pm »

Stands:

Woops, I shouldn't have skipped to the 2nd page of the thread!!  I've watched these vids a few times over the years. I almost have it committed to memory.

Those videos changed my life!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 09:58:29 pm »
For really hard ones to change i finish on the rim lock - allows to tyre bead to go right into the dish as the rimlock can prevent that bit extra possibility
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 10:00:03 pm »
Great Videos, check for directional tyres before fitting...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 10:24:56 am »
good video definatley learnt something :)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:30 pm »
Hansi Bachtold was 4 times world sidecarcross champion back in the 80s and he did all of his own tyre changes. And he used a new tyre every time he went out, even for practise....why practise with bad traction??
He spent a lot of time inspecting rims, spokes and fittings for rough or sharp edges.
He always used heaps of talc and checked everything when we stripped it to see any imperfections.
WHY?? Because flats cause missed points and missed points looses GPs and lost GPs means lost World titles.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 09:58:28 pm »
a good tradesman is pretty to watch in any field. this bloke changes new tyres on new rims....  i wonder has he done much vintage tyre changing. The tyres i get are 20years old on even  older rims, never that easy

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 08:29:23 am »
A 30 year old Pirelli Garacross is always a pleasure to remove. You can usually take them off with your hands... Or not...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »
I usually don't fork around trying to get old tyres off. Start off with the hacksaw then finish the bead with a grinder.