Author Topic: I Gotta Quit Buying And Start Selling!  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I Gotta Quit Buying And Start Selling!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:59 pm »
Geoff asks me whether I want my tank polished and it is a look I like hence not having that "acid washed finish".  The other noticeable difference is that all my tanks are for riders so whilst the welds around the seams could be better (as in the Spedboat photos you have seen) I am more than happy with the finished result for the price.  I am sure if you asked Geoff to spend $1800US worth of time it could be better again.  Also bit hard to explain but the dent removal Geoff has done is excellent.

I am at work at the moment so this is the only piccy I currently have Quicky.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Quicksilver

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:33:06 pm »
Looks goooood ta me.  :D

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 09:50:08 pm »
Hi rosco
The last time I communicated with you I told you how scarce old CR 's were. Last night I bought a local newspaper,  and in the CLASSIFIED adds was  1974 HONDA CR 250M1 frame. I have access to a spare CR250 motor. I hope that the frame is not a MT 250-hold thumbs. I cannot believe my good fortune.
I will publish a photo of my bikes on the weekend. Chow
Old and slow - and happy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 11:31:26 pm »
and I am supposed to be happy for you!!! ;D ;D ;D

Cant ask around about any YZ360/250B bits or bikes for me could you?  Please............................

:D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 03:22:59 pm »
Hey Rossco, that was only the deposit you paid, I'm still waiting for the other 3 installments ;D

Seriously though you hit the nail on the head, it's a $ per effort factor. Painting will add quite a few hundred dollars to the price, but if I charged $1000.00 - $1200.00 for a tank I doubt that I would be given any to do, I allways get the feeling that most guys don't want to pay exorbitant amounts & just want a fair job for a fair price.
Mind you, if I charged 4 times as much I would only need to work 1/4 of the time. ;D

How good a tank comes up also depends on what shape it's in to start with & yours had already been repaired by me 10 years earlier. Quickies tank for instance, that has been blown up with pressure may come back into shape but may also look a bit different to a perfect tank. A good tank with a few simple dents will come up easier/better than one thats been trashed badly. Elsinore tanks are hard to split at the seams too as the front mount holes are multi layers welded together, otherwise the seams usually come apart reasonably easy, but creates a lot of work to put back together.

Were the Elsinore tanks normally a brushed satin finish or a mirror finish

i siad on the thread that you yanks can have a holiday in australia and get you tank done by gmc for the said 1800.00 us.
jim

Or they could shout me a holiday over their & I could repair their tank for them ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:35:50 pm by crabman »
Old and slow - and happy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:22 pm »
sorry Geoff - can I put the remaining installments on account (on account of I can't pay it????) ;D

I believe the more brushed satin/acid wash look was standard - however after seeing a polished tank thats what I like - always trying to be a bit different.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »

The brushed look!

PS - sorry if this thread has been hijacked?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Quicksilver

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »
Geoff.
With blown up tank its fairly straight, at least straight enough for a rider. Id be happy if you could just make it fit.  ;) I will use on my chromed frame Elsinore for dirt track riding.
I have 2 other tanks one you have seen and quoted the other is painted. I will strip paint for it to see which of the 2 tanks is best to restore and send it.
Cheers Quicky.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:16 pm »
G'day Crabman, what models do you have in this sea of red pic below mate.

CR480RD
CR500 RF or RG
CR500  ???
CR500  ???

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:52:14 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Quicksilver

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »
Rossco. The brushed tank picture is too dull and fully polished a little to bright. Original tanks are somewhere inbetween those two.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:48 pm »
I agree Quicky - I knew mine was too bright and nothing like original but I also thought the satin finish of the one pictured was too flat.

I asked the guy how he got the satin finish and he didn't answer (I think I have some dedicated tank photos somewhere) but that one above nearly looks painted?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Quicksilver

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 08:06:29 pm »
Rossco.
To get the right amount of gloss on my tank ( once Geoff restores and polishes it ) I was thinking of using small amount of flattener in the clear coat to just dull it off a little bit. Sort of semi gloss clear over the polished tank.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:27 pm »
let me know how it goes.  A friend of mine is an excellent painter and has painted some tanks to look stock but then paint wears off anyway.  I would be interested coz now I have my 360 up and running I have been thinking of making a "garage queen" of my 250?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Quicksilver

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 10:20:02 pm »
Whats he using to paint them? 2 pack clear with hardener shouldnt ware too easily. I have used 2k clear on polished alloy mags that has stood test of time for years.