Author Topic: Favouritest thing to do on a dirtbike  (Read 59764 times)

Tony T

Re: Favouritest thing to do on a dirtbike
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 07:34:39 pm »
Getting air scares the crap out of me these days. Hitting anything bigger than a cigarette butt freaks me out...............  ::)
I always get off on going fast. Like 100mph fast. Takes far less skill to do...........  :D
Anyone who has seen the on-bike shot at the start of Dust to Glory knows what I'm talking about.  ;D ;D

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:09 pm »

Powering up a Mirriwinni MX uphill on a 500cc Husky twinshock & hosing some young guy on a modern in the process . This track is the closest you will get to riding on a golf course in the middle of a rainforest . It is my favourite track & I rate it as better than Echo Valley , Conondale , Barrabool , Coles Creek , Gum Valley , Mundubbera or any other track that I have ridden on .

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »
YOWZA! :o That is some hill! Look at the size of the bikes down the bottom.
Where exactly is 'Mirriwinni MX uphill'?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
Mirriwinni is about half an hour south of Cairns & about 15 minutes north of Innisfail . There hasn't been a race meeting held here for about 3 years because of poor weather & a cyclone knocking trees down across the track . But it is on the race calender for the 21st of September & there is usually an evo class if we get enough numbers . It is also known as Rickard's farm , as the owner is Brian Rickard .

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:25 pm »

Here is another shot . The red soil can get very slippery when it rains & it rains a lot here .

NQ2wheels

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »
Hey evo,...yeah it is agreat track..is that me behind you about to flog your ass....no..the next shot looks like me on the yz 250...thats some time ago.....if the meeting is on you southern guys should make the trip...you will love it

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:53:27 pm »
WHEELIES HOWS YOUR KNEE SHOEY ;D ;D ;D

BEST FEELINGS RIDING GREAT TRACKS LIKE MARK SAID
AND PULLING A FRESH AIR HOLESHOT AGAINST 40 RIDERS 8) 8)

OH AND CLEARING THAT BIG DOUBLE OR TABLE TOP YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING UP TOO ;D ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »
Mirriwinni is about half an hour south of Cairns & about 15 minutes north of Innisfail .
Of course it's in Queensland! Even the dirt is a shade of MAROON!! Looks good, great terrain. 8)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »
I am too scared to jump big doubles any more , Holeshot . The thought of my broken bones poking through the skin puts me off . I now prefer natural terrain tracks  :).
That is you Steve in the second shot , leading on the 480RA twinshock Honda . A bike so evil as to be a threat to VMX as we know it & had to be banished to the wilderness of North Queensland  :o.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »
Yea, back in the past, big wheelies, power slides etc, etc, were it, but as I get closer to the dreaded 50, the favouritests thing for me is just getting out and riding.  Also finishing a 6 or 8 hour reliability trial on my 32year old XT500C rates right up there as well, especially when everyone else is 1/2 my age, riding moden bikes, and only about 75% of those who start make it to the finish.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »
...the 480RA twinshock Honda . A bike so evil as to be a threat to VMX as we know it & had to be banished to the wilderness of North Queensland  :o.
Stirring the pot? :D ;D ;)
Those 'doubles' and 'quad jumps' etc came here just as I left the sport. First time I saw them was the Stadium Supercross at Archerfield in '79.
Never had to attempt them and now I'm too old and beat up/flogged out to try.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 10:35:54 pm »
I,ve been trying to instill the traditions of this way of life in my kids and one of those is that when someone drops it in the mud and there moving (alive ) it's your duty to go back and fill them in Hah my son Dale had huge lumps of mud and grass dripping off him last ride , my daughter thought it was hilarious till she stalled her bike and we filled her in too .My turn came later in the day when i went over the bars off the yz80 . What goes around.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 10:49:56 pm »
Would have to say.. Stringing one lap together without any mistakes!! or getting worn out  :-\.. or passing a new 450 with pro circuit f%^kin everything hangin off it, up the hill at Blue rock on a 1981 490 Maico.. then seeing the guy with his 450 in the pits tryin to work out what the hell is goin on with his modern stead :D  :D
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:30 pm »
Beating our webmaster after listening to his trash talk for weeks beforehand!

Racing. Getting out there and having as much of a go as you dare/talent allows/competitive streak insists, against other people who are doing the same. I still love trail riding, but the 'no bullshit' aspect of racing really appeals ATM - if you ride well enough to overtake someone during a race, they're going to have a hard time claiming that they are just out for a ride....

Riding with the wife. Sharing a passion with someone I share my life with. Sure she's a newbie and therefore... limited in her ability, but watching her enjoy something I enjoy is pretty cool. Can't wait for the same thing with the boy.
To a lesser extent, the same goes for newbie riding mates, I guess.

Working on them. Taking something that most people see as scrap metal, and making it a rideable bike again - esp one that roosts the web-master. Preserving something. Rejecting the rampant consumerism that says that we all have to lust after the latest and greatest. Being aware that this bike you've just saved was once someone's pride and joy, even if you have no idea who they are.

Just riding... I know it sounds lame, but when you're on a dirt bike, there's no mortgage, no global warming, no dickhead boss, no leaky heater core in the car that you have to fix, no bullshit. Just you, the bike and the next bit of track.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Doc

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 12:13:13 am »
for fear of being labeled boring I'll tell you the exact moment I get overwhelmingly excited.

usually about 3rd or 4th kick after a full engine rebuild and the motor fires up and sounds so crisp with barely a hint of engine noise (compared to normal!) that is a sweet moment  ;D the second monumental moment is when I finally give it a big serve after bedding it in (a little) ;D working your arse off, taking delivery then firing up a brand spanking new '78 RM400 at 10pm is also a special moment, when you're 16  ;D shit..near every moment on bikes is special or memorable to say the least!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:19:33 am by Doc »